Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:12 pm
Conscience - is it a spiritual gift?

Or, is this expression correct?

"Conscience is but a word that cowards use, devised at first to keep the strong in awe; our strong arms be our conscience, swords our law." - Shakespeare, Richard III
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,254 • Replies: 58
No top replies

Treya

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:53 pm
I'm not so sure it's either to be honest. I think it's a functioning of the human brain. Some people have a stronger conscience than others. Some seem to have little to none. Everyone's make up is different, but I know that before I started believing in God I could tell what was right and wrong. I never went and robbed any banks and I did my best not to get caught speeding... hehehe... didn't always work out so well, but if I didn't know those things were wrong I wouldn't have tried so hard not to do them. Ya know?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:57 pm
I think neither is correct . A child who has yet to develop empathy feels no remorse about belting it's sibling...unless it has learned to expect punishment for the act.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:59 pm
Eorl wrote:
I think neither is correct . A child who has yet to develop empathy feels no remorse about belting it's sibling...unless it has learned to expect punishment for the act.

So you believe there is no instinctual-level knowledge of right and wrong?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 11:23 pm
snood, I'm not really certain of that. Not all instincts are present at birth, some present with the maturing of different parts of the mind and/or body. Empathy is perhaps not either completely instinctual or completely learned.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 12:41 am
I think our conscience is that very thing that tells us what is right and what is wrong.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 02:53 am
The part of the superego in psychoanalysis that judges the ethical nature of one's actions and thoughts and then transmits such determinations to the ego for consideration.

Thus the reason why my dog is more ethical than I am. She is unfettered and alive, whereas I am but a shell of my former evolutionary glory.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 01:16 pm
hmmm... that's interesting chumly. Are you saying your dog has a higher level of conscience than you? LOL
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 01:37 pm
Agree with Chumly. It's separate from spiritual.
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:19 pm
Neologist.. I wrote you before about law and spirit .. Differences of two concepts is only concious.. Law take concious and than change to spirit.. .. Character of human being is concious mirror for God names and adjectives. Also animals, angels, genies, satan have concious. So they watch the universe and pray with concious to Universe Maker.
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:20 pm
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 04:31 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I think our conscience is that very thing that tells us what is right and what is wrong.

Obviously, in this case, it's correct. Christ would never make such mistakes.
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 05:25 pm
hephzibah wrote:
I'm not so sure it's either to be honest. I think it's a functioning of the human brain. Some people have a stronger conscience than others. Some seem to have little to none. Everyone's make up is different, but I know that before I started believing in God I could tell what was right and wrong. I never went and robbed any banks and I did my best not to get caught speeding... hehehe... didn't always work out so well, but if I didn't know those things were wrong I wouldn't have tried so hard not to do them. Ya know?

So we are in the world for to get high level concious by the time.. ? So there a lot of differences between people concious levels.. ? Also we r trained when we r baby and become more concious than old time..
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 10:20 pm
Kev, would you please explain the difference, if any, between the words conscious, conscience and concious?

I'm having trouble understanding your posts.

Perhaps someone woudl care to opine about whether conscience is learned or innate, or both?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 11:31 pm
I've put in my wacky non sequitur (with it's underlying current of truisms) thus have met my obligatory burden!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 11:36 pm
I take it you did so as a matter of conscience.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 12:12 am
LOL!
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 12:18 am
Neologist ..up to now.. I intended this word as conscious....
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 12:24 am
neologist wrote:
I take it you did so as a matter of conscience.

Laughing
0 Replies

kevnmoon

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 12:28 am
conscience... is different ...
Heart is two parts 1. mind ( It is places of science and thinking .. )
2.conscience ( faith or believing mechanism is placed here )

I will tell you a lot about both of them.............
0 Replies