Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:39 am
I should really eat more vegetablesa and Iv ebeen thinking about getting a steamer as they keep in all the goodness.

Does anybody have any steamer experience?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,458 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Eva

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:19 am
Very very very easy. Just run some tap water in the bottom half, put the veggies in the top, set the timer and go. Check them with a fork to tell when they're done. Simple.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:21 am
How long to vegies take to cook?

Yes I knwo I should have learnt this at svhool but it was a very long time ago.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:31 am
Depends on whether you like them crunchy or soft. Broccoli, carrots and the like are hard to begin with, so they take more time (about 15-20 minutes.) Green beans and other softer veggies only take 5 or 10 min. Like I said, test them with a fork and give them another few minutes if they're not done enough. You'll soon figure it out. (Kinda like microwaving.)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:33 am
Im liking them soft, especially cauliflower.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:39 am
Really, it isn't rocket science. The smaller the pieces, the faster they cook. Throw some in there for 10 minutes, then stick 'em with a fork. If you like 'em softer, just let 'em steam a little longer.

Just like you would if you boiled or microwaved them. Except this way is better for you.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:45 am
What is the ratio of betterness.
What percentage of goodness do you get from boiled veg in comparison to steamed?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 11:17 am
Ask someone else. I'm not into statistics.

As far as I'm concerned, if it's 1% better, it's worth doing. After all, it's no more work this way.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 10:53 am
When you boil veggies some of the vitamins and goodness leaches into the water. This is fine if you're making soup... I don't know what the percentage is but when you steam the nutrition stays in the veggies.

And you can steam just fine in the microwave. I usually wash vegetables, leave the drops of moisture on them, and put them in a microwavable dish. Cover with plastic wrap or a tight fitting nukable lid and power for 5 minutes or so, then check.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 02:31 pm
Vegetables
If you have a microwave you can get the same result. Microwaving essentially boils down to steaming. Asparagus, in particular, works beautifully in the microwave.
0 Replies