Smell of Fuel - Gas Leak

cjhsa

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 09:04 am
OK, I've been fighting with my 1984 BMW 325e for some time now. One day, out of the blue, it started smelling of gas. Now, after four trips to the mechanic, a new intake bellows, a new charcoal evaporative cannister in the fuel return, and several feet of new gas line, it still smells of fuel.

I'm not sure what to make of it. Yes, one injector leaks slightly, but not bad enough to make it smell this bad. The exhaust smells fine, so I think the engine is running OK.

If the charcoal cannister is again full of gas and leaking, after just being replaced, what might cause that, other than a faulty cannister?

Of course, I've posted this to more auto-specific forums, but thought I'd let my A2K bretheren take a shot at it. Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 891 • Replies: 5
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:31 am
Faulty gas cap?

Wink
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 10:54 am
I considered that, but it looks OK, and it is a newer cap.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 11:19 am
I had a pinhole in the gas tank of an 8 year old Mazda 626. There was no liquid on the ground under the car because the hole was so small. Whatever was leaking out would vaporized before hitting the ground. The hole was near the top so filling the tank only half full seemed to solve the odor problem.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 11:29 am
Mine actually leaks up front - around the charcoal canister - or least that's what was leaking. It's right below the engine.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 07:13 am
Injectors.... argh.
0 Replies