tempera basics....HELP!

neeboy

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 01:24 am
Alrright, I think I may get flamed here, but can someone please explain the difference between egg tempera and "JAZ" tempera? I did a beautiful drip painting on a small canvas using about 18 different colors of JAZ tempera, but by the time it all dried, it had cracked all over the place. Is there any way to prevent the cracking? I did the painting on a ready-made canvas. Everyone else in my art class used acrylic; I used the tempera because I happened to already have it form a few years ago and didn't want to spend any money on paint at the moment. Is there any hope for me and my JAZ paint, or will I have to shell out the big bucks for the acrylic stuff if i want to do more drip painting??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,448 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 05:15 am
neeboy- Welcome to Able2Know- Glad to see you here. Flaming is verboten on A2K, so not to worry. We have a lot of great folks here, many in the art world.
Enjoy!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 09:53 am
Welcome to A2k neeboy, as Phoenix says no need to fear flaming in A2k. Here is a link to a discussion about tempera paints and painting. Just remember as you read through the posts that some of us have known each other for a while and umm we do digress.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3845
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 03:04 pm

hi - this is an answer from someone who only knows about tempera in theory, not practice and I don't know the American brand name you mention. (i use nearly every other medium but not tempera)

Egg tempera wasn't used on canvas but on a hard base (normally a wooden panel) prepared with gesso. The paint was used very thinly and built up in layers to achieve the colour and luminosity required. If your brand had the same qualities as egg tempera it would explain the problems you had?

On canvas you would be better with oil or acrylic.

Hope this is helpful. Smile good luck Smile
0 Replies