Actual proof of alien life!

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 06:50 pm
Wolf_O, A little patience is needed; I'm one person rather excited about the research into finding the origin of life. At least the scientists are looking for answer for now.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:16 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Wolf_O, A little patience is needed; I'm one person rather excited about the research into finding the origin of life. At least the scientists are looking for answer for now.

Which is why I didn't say, "I want more proof now". It took me twelve months to get one answer in one research project. I think it'll take a lot more time for them to get more answers about this red rain, don't you think?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:27 pm
With the continued projects by NASA to search Mars and water, it's only the beginning. Human scientific research into the origin of life is still very young. Progress may be slow, but it's progress. I'm sure their research will reveal many things beyond the origin of life in the process. That is also exciting - to me.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:55 pm
I susoect we will find the universe teeming with life. Both like and unlike our own. Even several planets in our solar system may have life including the Saturn moon which has great geysers of water streaming from it. The future promises to be interesting.
0 Replies

Eryemil

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:07 am
This is fascinating Nick, thanks for sharing.

I'll join Wolf_O on the fence for the time being, but I'm Immaturely excited about this. Very Happy
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:32 am
Me too Eryemil. I am surprised at the lack of media coverage on this whole thing. Even if the life form is not extraterrestrial it still represents a form of life never seen before. Why the silence?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:46 am
bookmark...interesting...doing some "research"
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:47 am
NickFun wrote:
Me too Eryemil. I am surprised at the lack of media coverage on this whole thing. Even if the life form is not extraterrestrial it still represents a form of life never seen before. Why the silence?

Perhaps the Men in Black really *DO* exist and they're keeping a tight lid on things. After all, they probably figure the masses wouldn't read New Scientist. Or... maybe not.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 09:24 am
solved!! Its bat blood

Quote:
It's tough to explain, however, how 50 tonnes of mammal blood could have ended up in rain clouds. Cockell takes a wild guess that maybe a meteor explosion massacred a flock of bats, splattering their blood in all directions. India is home to around 100 species of bats, which sometimes fly to altitudes of 3 kilometres or more. "A giant flock of bats is actually a possibility - maybe a meteor airburst occurred during a bat migration," he says. "But one would have to wonder where the bat wings are."

no only kidding. Its alien life form after all.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:19 am
The material they found contains no DNA yet it is living. It reproduces at 300 C -- much hotter than anything on Earth could survive. The "blood cells" do not decay over time. It is far different than anything ever seen before.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 12:47 pm
liposomes
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 01:09 pm
Do liposomes reproduce at 300 C? Those are the conditions on Venus! I think not.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 01:50 pm
It's been over two years since this paper was published, and yet not much talk of it in biology circles, or in SETI.

There must be some reason (and I don't buy into the "fear" theory) why this is not attracting much attention.

It's unclear to me exactly how these cells replicate. Several life cycles are described, and fission is mentioned a few times, but unless I'm missing it, I don't see a description of how each cell replicates itself without some form or replicative molecule (and they are claiming that there is no DNA).
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:23 pm
Some people apparently think that the Red Rain is from a Rust Fungus of some type.

Apparently, the tests which were run in 2003 were considered to be non-conclusive regarding the presence of DNA. More tests are currently under way.

The bottom line so far seems to be that nobody can say conclusively what the red rain is composed of, nor can anyone reliably identify the source.

About 50 tons of this stuff fell over a large area, and over a period of many weeks to months (in periodic events).

Mainstream scientists won't begin to back the theory of extraterrestrial orgin until more conclusive tests are done and a more detailed description of the material emerges.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:39 pm
Quote:
Dr Wainwright told New Scientist there was every reason to take Dr Louis's report seriously. "Everything in the paper is done correctly.
"There is nothing wacky about it, although clearly it needs verifying."
Having carried out a first batch of tests on the red rain particles, he told the Yorkshire Post: "They are clearly cells. No argument about it. They look like the spores of some kind of rust fungus."
His first job is to try to find DNA, using a different set of tests from those Dr Louis tried.
If successful, it might be possible to identify it. If the DNA is unidentifiable, all possibilities remain open.
But if there really is no DNA, the mystery deepens and the extra-terrestrial explanation becomes even more likely - especially if it is possible to repeat the reproduction experiments, left out of Dr Louis's paper for Astrophysics & Space Science because they seemed too amazing to be true.
Dr Wainwright expects to have results within a few weeks, although he will make no public announcement until he is sure his experiments and his reasoning are beyond reasonable challenge.
"When Hoyle and Wickramasinghe started the panspermia theory in the 1980s, it was pooh-poohed," he said.
"But now it has become fashionable. With what we now know about microbes, it is quite easy to see how they could be transported onto Earth, and blown off Earth by collisions, so you get a two-way traffic throughout the cosmos."
[email protected]
06 March 2006

Source
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 03:21 pm
I am very surprised that more is not beng made of this. Cornell published the paper describing it as panspermia. Many publications are looking at this phenomenon closely. Surely by now someone would have noticed if the cells had DNA. And they reproduce rapidly at 300 C. That's unlike any rust fungus on Earth. Give me an Earthly explanation and I will accept it. And how did it wind up in the clouds over a certain section of India?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:15 pm
NickFun wrote:
I am very surprised that more is not beng made of this. Cornell published the paper describing it as panspermia. Many publications are looking at this phenomenon closely. Surely by now someone would have noticed if the cells had DNA. And they reproduce rapidly at 300 C. That's unlike any rust fungus on Earth. Give me an Earthly explanation and I will accept it. And how did it wind up in the clouds over a certain section of India?

I agree it's intriguing, but I'm not surprised that it's taking time to get through the process. Nobody wants to go flying off the handle calling press conferences on the biggest news of the century, only to have to eat crow when someone says "oops, we did a test wrong and it actually has DNA, and it's just a fungus. Never Mind... "

I will be anxious to hear the results of the tests currently being run to isolate DNA (or eliminate the possibility of it) to a higher degree of confidence.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:28 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
I agree it's intriguing, but I'm not surprised that it's taking time to get through the process. Nobody wants to go flying off the handle calling press conferences on the biggest news of the century, only to have to eat crow when someone says "oops, we did a test wrong and it actually has DNA, and it's just a fungus. Never Mind... "

sort of like the Raelians announcing they had cloned a human baby. there was also an MD in Italy who was supposedly on the verge of doing the same. but more *germane* might be the announcement of a meteor of Martian origin containing reputed signs of life; haven't heard much about that lately, either, so seems wise to wait for unambiguous evidence of non-terrestrial lifeforms.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:40 pm
Caution is a byword in science. They usually don't go half-cocked to announce findings on anything.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 25 Mar, 2006 09:18 am
All right, enough about this being "published" by Cornell university. This archive is simply a repository; there is no peer review conducted by Cornell.

Says wikipedia...
Quote:
arXiv (pronounced "archive", as if the "X" were the Greek letter χ) is an archive for electronic preprints of scientific papers in the fields of physics, mathematics, computer science and biology which can be accessed via the internet. In many fields of mathematics and physics, almost all scientific papers are placed on the arXiv, with some minor work remaining purely as e-prints and not published in paper peer-reviewed journals. As of February 2006, arXiv.org contains about 355,000 e-prints, with three to four thousand new e-prints being added every month. {emphasis added}

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ArXiv.org

Here's what comes up on arXiv if you put red rain as your search terms:
http://arxiv.org/find/grp_q-bio,grp_cs,grp_physics,grp_math,grp_nlin/1/all:+AND+rain+red/0/1/0/all/0/1

Four articles on this subject by these authors and something unrelated that happens to come up. Note the intention to submit the article for publication on the third article on the list, and the pending appearance of the fourth article in Astronomical Journal (as it actually did -- Aug, 2002, Vol. 24, Iss. 2, p. 1026).
0 Replies