Actual proof of alien life!

NickFun

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 06:45 pm
In this months issue of New Scientist there is a debate over the red rain that fell over India from July through September of 2001. It appears the red rain was actually some kind of unknown biological material that may have been extra-terrestrial in origin and may or may not have originated from an exploding meteor or cometary fragment. Two of the most remarkable things about this "life form" is that it has no DNA structure and thrives and reproduces dramatically at temperatures above 300C. This is a considerably higher temperature than any known terrestrial life form can survive. Check out http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0312/0312639.pdf .

Even assuming this material is not extra-terrestrial it still qualifies as a new life form. Why has there been so little press about it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 20,908 • Replies: 82
No top replies

Pink Lady

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 07:01 pm
Re: Actual proof of alien life!
NickFun wrote:

Why has there been so little press about it?

quite simple..

fear.

People fear what they do not know. Since we have things like NASA in place, we ( we meaning government, scientists etc) can send off new things to be analyzed and keep it quiet until it is proven that there is nothing to fear.

Imagine, if this red rain was given as a news story to , lets say , NBC.
The media would have thrown in so many small 'fear factors' that people would have jumped to conclusions that simply inhaling it would cause mass death .Some may have even taken it a step farther and , as some comets coming into our orbit have shown, cults would proclaim it was the coming of thier god and time to kill yourself. HAH
Imagine trying to control THAT scenerio..
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:14 pm
This particular material does not seem to harm people - but it does harm the trees. Also, even after 4 years the material has not degraded in the skightest. It can survive off both organic and inorganic material. It is a life form thsat could survive and thrive on the planet Venus!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:31 pm
really.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:33 pm
Are you sure? Venus is mighty hot.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:45 pm
so, i wonder what happens to it in our atmosphere.

So far.. nothing has changed with it correct?

Forgive me that I have not looked at the links, im not on my own computer..
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:42 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Are you sure? Venus is mighty hot.

It looks that way Edgar. These critter reproduce and thrive under extreme atmoshperic pressure between 300C to 400C (possibly higher. They have not measured beyond that). That's almost 800F and about the same temperature as Venus.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:44 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
so, i wonder what happens to it in our atmosphere.

So far.. nothing has changed with it correct?

Forgive me that I have not looked at the links, im not on my own computer..

It appears to kill leaves but does no apparent harm that we know of to humans. It lies dormant until heated.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:44 pm
Venus gots flytraps, so there are at least flies there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:13 am
What is so fascinating about "life" is their ability to live in Antarctica and also survive close to volcanic feasures in the ocean where temperatures would normally kill living organisms.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:16 am
This is utterly fascinating!

I am in the middle of the article.

Wow...

So, science types, IS it likely "proof" of extraterrestrial life???
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:47 am
Looks good to me. A form of life with no DNA - that ain't from Earth.
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:18 am
My wife is an alien. Every night around 3 AM she is called back to the mother ship for new instructions. I know this because she confided in me about her origins and said she would take care of me when her race takes over the world. I wonder what she means by that.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:43 am
So exciting and fascinating!

Correct me if I'm wrong: but no one actually knows yet,
1)Where it originated from
2)If it is a mutation, has existed on earth before and we humans missed it/were oblivious to it/didn't document it

uhh...basically, this is totally new and no one knows much at all?! Shocked

EXCITING!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:51 am
This paper was published by Cornell U. I think that gives it some credibility.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:05 am
NickFun wrote:
This paper was published by Cornell U. I think that gives it some credibility.

Where ya gettin' that from? The paper says the 2 authors come from "Mahatma Gandhi University" in Kerala, India.

Here's a link to a page about a correspondence attempted with the authors: http://www.carnicom.com/mgu.htm which leads you to this website http://www.carnicom.com/ from a guy who claims his research is related to that of Santosh Kumar and Godfrey Louis and is being monitored by the government (see http://www.carnicom.com/tap2.htm ).

Mahatma Gandhi University seems to exist http://www.mgudxboc.com/index.htm . It also seems to be mainly a distance learning center. The faculty listed do not include Kumar or Louis but perhaps they are or were students, or are former faculty.

I checked this story in Snopes but could not find it there. Anyway, needless to say, I'm skeptical, despite the publication in a journal.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:07 am
Mahatma Gandhi University can't be too bad - if we understand anything about the scholarships of the Indian People in science and math.

On another note, the Mars probe has the scientists gloating like children in a candy store where they are convinced there is water and life forms there.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:59 am
http://arxiv.org/ is Cornell. Cornell must have thought highly enough about the paper to include it in their library.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:04 pm
Also, there is an article in this months New Scientist magazine. That's where I first heard about it.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 05:44 pm
Hm, well scientists really can't agree on what is life.

Some research group at NASA's Ames Research Centre once managed to create complex organic molecules under conditions resembling a stellar cloud under irradiation.

Perhaps it is alien life. Who knows? I must feel a bit skeptical, however. Once the follow-up research has proved it is life and once there's about six more follow-up studies that prove it is life, then I'll admit it alien life.

Until then, I remain on the fence.
0 Replies