What's the deal with Australian music?

dov1953

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 10:34 pm
Cool Just as England was the font of the English wave in the early sixties, preceded by Elvis of course (and his predesesors), and the Mississippi River was a river of music sending styles up the Mississippi from New Orleans to Minneapolis, giving birth to the East Texas style, jazz, blues, zydeco, Memphis style and others, why is it that Australia does not seem to have had any spontaneus styles or a real vibrant musical culture? From the USA it seems as if it is a mild imitation of British and American types. FYI: Even though far afield of the Mississippi, there are largely American musical inventions such as blue grass, country, Folk, and I'm sure, more. What is it about Australia that prevented this from happening locally.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,750 • Replies: 99
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 08:42 am
Australian folk-rock is very distinctive. It hasn't really exported, though. I hung out with these guys' (The Band Who Knew Too Much) drummer one summer, and he played me all kinds of tapes that blew me away.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 02:15 pm
I think PD may be right. (boy - is that hard to say! Twisted Evil )

There's some great music in Oz, in all genres. But exposure in the US and/or UK is quite difficult, from such a small (in numbers only) country. Lots of Oz groups do the international tour thing, but usually find only niche audiences. The US, especially, is quite insular about all things from foreign countries. Because of this insularity, you get no exposure. Because there's no exposure, you don't know about it.

So - short answer - we have some great music - but we're not telling you about it!

Wilso may be able to give a better answer - but he's a John Farnham fan, so Confused
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 03:30 pm
what's that, mar? is this something to do with why you never talk to me? are you flatulophobic or something?!?!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 03:35 pm
There is also, of course, the 50, 000 year tradition of indigenous music........
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 1 May, 2003 08:14 pm
You gotta love the didgeridoo!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:32 am
Large-scale miscegenation of Australia (conveniently ignoring the colonization, of course) occurred much later in Australia than in the U.S. Didja know that the banjo descended from an African instrument? Something to do with it, maybe? Being rooted in multiple cultures is fundamental to just about every strain of American music...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:32 am
Aussie music = Kylie babes !!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:34 am
gag...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:37 am
the bunny's more of a "men at work" kind of gal...

hey, nick cave is australian? cool...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:38 am
HAve lost the count of the times I have danced to "Can't get you out of my head".... last time being with a very sexy swedish (or was he danish ?) man !
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:43 am
stop it, or I'll lose my lasagna!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:45 am
U dont like Swedish (or Danish) men ?????
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:45 am
the flaming lips, for whom i generally have the utmost respect, have been doing that damn song live, and it's been on the radio repeatedly, and it makes me want to track them down and throttle them.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:47 am
Gautam wrote:
U dont like Swedish (or Danish) men ?????

I don't like Kylie (Kylie! I ASK you!) Mismeggingnogue.

She is to music as waffles are to bread.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:51 am
but waffles are good. how 'bout "as damper is to bread."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:53 am
DAMPER is good!

Ok - she is this generation's Olivia Newton John.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:54 am
waffles are full of empty calories and bad for you, though...
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:57 am
But they are oh so delicious !
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:57 am
What about Midnight Oil? Big bald dude, leftie politics...and a cool limited release blue vinyl pressing of 'Blue Sky Mining' that I am proud to own...
0 Replies