What's the deal with Australian music?

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 08:59 am
Kylie is to music what Vegemite is to jam....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:00 am
Vegemite is good for you.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:01 am
So is Kylie !
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:05 am
i saw midnight oil in berkeley on the blue sky mine tour. the big bald dude was ranting about the cities noise ordinances ('twas an outside venue). good show, actually.

kylie minogue is to music what vegemite is to... music.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:06 am
kylie minogue is to music what spam is to passover.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:08 am
Hmm...kylie is to music what a cougar is to fresh meat....that might be most appropriate.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:09 am
or a hyena is to rancid meat...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:10 am
were the oils good?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:11 am
Hmm, was thinking of the definition of 'cougar' as an aging woman who hunts down hot young guys for sex and to further their flagging careers (need I mention Robbie...)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:12 am
completely off topic, but i was watching a documentary on a damaged-wildlife sanctuary in africa a while back. they had this lone female hyena there who, for some reason or other, couldn't cut it in the wild and lived in an enclosure. at one point they'd found a male who similarly couldn't hack it on his own, so they brought him over. it didn't go so well. the british woman who runs the place described it thusly: "we tried to get her a mate, but she killed him and ate his head."

genders may be confused on this one...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:12 am
Maybe 'cougar' is a Canajun term....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:13 am
the oils were, yes. that is what i meant when i typed "good show, actually." they had a big corrugated tin set piece that the drummer banged on for a while. sounded better than it sounds.

very, uh, high energy guys. wasn't the bald guy elected to your folks' parliament or something?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 09:16 am
Nah - hyenas are a matriarchal society.

peter garrett, the "tall bald dude', is a Green politician.

http://www.midnightoil.com/
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 2 May, 2003 05:20 pm
I'm a bit of an "Oils" fan!

In a bizarre occurrence, I saw them perform once, on a flatbed wagon in the local railway yards, in the far west of Sydney, about 8.30am on a Saturday morning, in the middle of winter, surrounded by fog! It was apparently some sort of statewide railway promotion - Use your trains week or similar! Talk about surreal! Remarkably good performance, given the time and conditions, etc. Just amazing!

I was on my way into the city to shop - and I went and bought the tape of "Blue Sky Mining". It's one of my favourite 'on the road' tapes! Very different to my usual driving music - it's much more "driving". Makes me go faster! Although I'm not sure the blue of the tape will be sufficient excuse if I attract the attention of the "flashing blue light" person Confused
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 05:04 pm
Gautam wrote:
So is Kylie !

ok, lookit, i was in high school when earthly-manifestations-of-the-devil Stock, AItken & Waterman produced her "I should be so lucky". I have reason to hate her as intensely as anyone I've met in my life. But unlike, say, Rick Astley, another prime candidate for the will-get-shot-when-the-revolution-comes hit list, y'all gotta give her that she managed to reinvent herself time and time again. Kinda like madonna, yeh (making the comparison is kinda unavoidable). And "Cant get you out of my head" is actually not just a horrifically catchy little tune, but also a fair bit of honest-to-god quality pop music. More power to her for it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 05:17 pm
The comparison to Madonna does nothing to raise her in my esteem or, more to the point given the radio station I listen to, forgive the Lips for performing it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 05:19 pm
Do the locomotion, the loco loco motion with meeee.....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 05:19 pm
okay -- just put down the chainsaw first, all right?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 05:24 pm
not if i see kylie minoque first!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 05:26 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Do the locomotion, the loco loco motion with meeee.....

grrrrr
0 Replies