Correcting color in digital photos

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:00 am
I have looked in a Photoshop Elements manual and a Dummies digital photo book, but can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

I want to know how to make a photo lighter - not change color or contrast, but simply produce a less dark version. Is there a step in Photoshop Elements that will do this once the photo is in the computer?

I have a new Sony DSC W7 and am learning my way around it. It mostly seems to take true color pix. However, sometimes flash pix come out darker than their natural state. Can this be adjusted within the camera? Is this what the histogram feature is for?

BTW - I had read that the W7 pix sometimes tend to a slightly blue-ish color, but I find that if anything, the tendency is more toward a rusty tinge. Has anyone noticed this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,231 • Replies: 13
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:04 am
In regular photoshop you can go....

Adjustment -> brightness/contrast

And then adjust the "brightness". This will usually lighten the photo up as much as you want!
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:16 am
There is also 'LEVELS'.

Image->Adjustment->Levels

You can change midtones, shadows and highlights with this tool.

Using that along with the Brightness/Contrast you can completely alter an images brightness.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 01:09 pm
The "rusty tinge" would be due to underexposure
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 01:28 pm
The white balance setting is a part of digital photography that I still haven't completely figured out but it can effect the color balance of the photo too.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 01:34 pm
White balance is simply what your camera thinks is white. Usually there's a way to set this by pointing the lens at something white and pressing a button or two.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 01:39 pm
BTW, Google Picasa has a "fill light" feature that works pretty well.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:56 pm
Correcting color in digital photos
Thank you everybody for all your quick responses. I'll be experimenting with them one by one.

Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.0, which caof a basically brown elephant carving rather green, so now I know that there's no point in bothering with that any more.

I'm still new at Photoshop Elements although I've had it for a couple of years; I just never found the time to get to know it properly. But with the new camera I'm making much more of an effort. Anyway, I enjoy learning new things. With a whole bunch of help from A2K and other sites I taught myself a lot of computer skills, so I guess I can figure out Photoshop Elements.

Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 04:00 pm
Somehow my computer skills went astray - I meant to say <Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition 3.0 which came with the camera turned> - sorry, can't use quotation marks; Firefox won't cooperate.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 04:04 pm
You've said that a couple times about Firefox... what do you mean? (I use Firefox and have no similar problem.)
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 05:23 pm
I can't make use of the Underline, Italics, and Black letter. There is some thing about Firefox that prevents using these and similar A2K features. I've heard from other people that they have trouble, although most, like you don't seem to have a problem.

I've gone to Firefox options, etc., but the latest BB access information doesn't work with my Firefox version (1.5.01) but I'm going to keep trying; perhaps something new has come along since I last looked.
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 10:58 pm
Try this:
Go to Post a Reply
Rightclick anywhere
Click NoScript
Click Options
Now type in the able2know web-address into the address bar

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/ruffdiamond/tom1.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/ruffdiamond/tom2.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/ruffdiamond/tom3.jpg
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/ruffdiamond/tom4.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2006 11:16 pm
correct color in digital photos?

Is this possible?
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:12 am
Need to correct or enhance the colour in your digital photos... ?

Here's some free software that I think is terrific.

Download 'Photo-Brush, version 3.51'

at: http://www.mediachance.com/download.htm
0 Replies