I Want to See "The Pajama Game"!

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 04:37 pm
It sounds really great. It's one of the few Broadway musicals I've ever seen live -- not this production, but a traveling production I saw in Florida with my grandma in probably the early 80's.

Harry Connick Jr. sounds absolutely fantastic in it.

The review that has me wanting to jump in the car and drive straight to NYC:

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/content/articles/060306crth_theatre

Anyone here lucky enough to see it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,268 • Replies: 8
No top replies

mac11

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 12:25 pm
Bumping this back up. I'm with you soz, this production sounds very good. (I love the "bronzed pecs" line.)
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 12:42 pm
The "Entertainment Weekly" review is less glowing, but I would give greater weight to the "New Yorker" and John Lahr in most cases. I've only seen community theater productions of this show myself, the kind that make you think there is a good show in there somewhere that the cast didn't quite have the skill to produce.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:13 pm
Have the film version on DVD. One of the better filmations of a Broadway musical:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050814/

Great cast, too:

Doris Day .... Katherine 'Babe' Williams
John Raitt .... Sid Sorokin
Carol Haney .... Gladys Hotchkiss
Eddie Foy Jr. .... Vernon Hines
Reta Shaw .... Mabel
Barbara Nichols .... Poopsie
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 12:29 pm
I want to see THIS one.

Anyone see it yet?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 02:55 pm
Attention Harry Connick Jr. fans: he has agreed to answer questions submitted by e-mail through the New York Times website. You can submit questions to him by using the form at:

http://www.nytimes.com/membercenter/formqsts.html

Questions can also be submitted for Cynthia Nixon on that form.

The form says, "The page you came from described the topics our guests have agreed to discuss". On the page I came from, all it says is, "Harry Connick Jr. and Cynthia Nixon, both Tony nominees, are taking readers' questions about their work on stage." (I guess this means, don't ask them personal questions.)

I'm not sure if you have to be a "Times Select" subscriber to access that link; I am, so I don't know what would happen when I clicked on that link if I weren't.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2006 03:05 pm
I've been in the pajama factory that inspired it. It's in Dyersville, IA. Not a pajama factory anymore though. I can't remember what they make there now. Some kind of clothing, though.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 09:09 am
I'm not a Times Select member, but the link seems to work fine anyway, bree. Did the article say if they would be posting the questions and responses? I don't feel the need to ask any questions, but I'd be interested to see the results.

Swimpy, that's cool that you've been to the factory. Is that the building's only claim to fame?
0 Replies

bree

Reply Fri 2 Jun, 2006 09:12 am
mac, it wasn't clear to me how the posting of questions and answers would work. I got the feeling that only the person who sent the question would see the answer, but I could be wrong about that.
0 Replies