Copying CD to Hard Drive???

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 01:30 pm
I'm on the way out the door but I need some help. I have an audiobook on a CD that I want to put on my hard drive so I can then send it to someone in an email. I am having trouble figuring out how to do this.

I have a few different CD copying, burning, programs but I'm confused. Can someone help me here? Can I copy the files to my hard drive using Windows Media Player? Real Player? Sonic Record Now?

Any help would be appreciated. I'll check in later this afternoon. Hope this is enough info.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 578 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 01:40 pm
I'm not familiar with audiobooks, so it would be helpful to know what format the files on the CD are in. Are they .mp3 or .wav files?

If so, the process is easy and you can probably simply copy via the Windows Explorer application to the folder on your hard drive where you want to put them. And you might be able to use Media Player to save files to the location you want them.

However, I suspect it may not be that easy ....
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 02:24 pm
You should also keep in mind that you would probably end up with one honkin big e-mail attachment.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 03:52 pm
Is the fact that what you are proposing to do is almost certainly illegal an issue? Most audiobooks are under copyright and sending them to other people is specifically prohibited by law.

That being said, the technical term for what you are trying to do is "ripping". You can search for any of the number of pieces of software that can do this for you.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 05:02 pm
Tico,

I think the file extension is .aa but I'm not positive. All I can find out is that the media type is audio. How do I find out?

Intrepid,

It is separated by tracks. I can copy (I think) the tracks to my hard drive and then zip them. Will have to send in multiple e-mails but that's ok.

e_Brown,

I'm not infringing on any copyright laws, I assure you. I belong to an online audiobook club and I have to pay for the downloads. I am allowed (I believe it's three) many copies per download. I guess I could go through the whole download thing again but wouldn't it be faster to just copy to my hard drive and then email them? They were originally on my hard drive after the first download and then I burned them to a CD and then deleted them off my hard drive. I just can't figure out how to do it in reverse!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 05:06 pm
OK, if you are licensed to send copies to friends...

Most windows computers have a couple of different pieces of software that can do this. Here is the Windows Media Player version.

How to Rip CDs
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 05:19 pm
Yes! Laughing e_Brown, thank you so much! That worked and it was even easy to do! I had no idea what rip meant so I didn't want to mess with it before. I'm one of those that "Computers for Dummies" was written for. I can learn anything as long as I have those step by step instructions!

My friend is going to be so glad to get this book! Thanx everyone for your help!
0 Replies