How do you keep in shape?

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:23 am
A friend told me I have to just keep at it until it's habit, and I agree. I HAVE been able to keep up a workout schedule before... force myself, force myself, force myself, and then habit finally takes over. ("It's Wednesday afternoon, therefore I'm going to the gym, of course, like I always do.")

What's super-idiotic about it is that I actually enjoy it when I'm there and feel GREAT afterwards.

Phooey.

If I don't do something about this today (at LEAST get the parking pass already), can someone give me a swift kick?
0 Replies

mystery girl

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:37 am
I've just taken tennis back up after...well, a long time, and it feels so good. In the summer I cycle and walk/sometimes jog. I do miss being on machines and doing yoga, and I'll probably get back to that in the near future. My favorite, though, is combining the vigorous exercise with the vigorous sex. Those curtain walls around the indoor courts are quite useful! ;-)

All that said, my curiosity is piqued by the powerplate thing.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:42 am
Not a clay court, then? Sounds rough.

The powerplat does sound interesting, but again, looks expensive, and I'm not into gyms filled with healthy, sweaty people.

I know what you mean, soz. Sometimes, I don't want to ride, but as soon as I hit the first downgrade and the gears start clicking up of their own accord, I'm ready to go.
0 Replies

mystery girl

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:55 am
roger wrote:
Not a clay court, then? Sounds rough.

The powerplat does sound interesting, but again, looks expensive, and I'm not into gyms filled with healthy, sweaty people.

I know what you mean, soz. Sometimes, I don't want to ride, but as soon as I hit the first downgrade and the gears start clicking up of their own accord, I'm ready to go.

Roger, if you're on your feet, it doesn't much matter what the surface is. :-P

I'm cheap about exercise, too. It's such a disincentive to trying something new if I have to pay dearly for it!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 10:01 am
I do a lot of dancing because I love to dance and it makes my exercise routine fun.
I also work with weights, but I could use better equipment.
The weight lifting makes me strong and this makes me feel more independant.
I also do a lot of stretching so my body doesn't get stiff from the weights.

It's all good :-D
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 04:01 pm
Interesting how, in the States at least, they've managed to convince everyone here that you need to pay exorbinant fees to be in shape? 110 bucks a month to go to Gold's Gym? 60 a month to use a community pool?

I have to say, that does make things like running, hiking and climbing seem quite a bit better. Oh well. Its off to Gold's I go....
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 04:49 pm
I practice a well-rounded physical regimen.

I start out with the remote in my right hand, then shift it to my left after ten minutes. Then back again. That goes on for about an hour.

Then I briskly walk to the kitchen for a tasty snack.

Then I rest.

Yep, I'm definitely getting "well-rounded!"
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:40 am
Yes, Roger, I can't get myself to go to the gym anymore, either. All those people...

Had a good powerplate workout yesterday and then an hour of tai chi. Now if I could stay off the chocolate all would be good. But with this winter not ending and all - I NEED chocolate!!! And BigDice says I look good... He's so sweet ;-)
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:50 am
Push ups, preferably with a man under me...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:40 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
I practice a well-rounded physical regimen.

I start out with the remote in my right hand, then shift it to my left after ten minutes. Then back again. That goes on for about an hour.

Then I briskly walk to the kitchen for a tasty snack.

Then I rest.

Yep, I'm definitely getting "well-rounded!"

dude, how ya doin'?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:42 pm
Is that you, BP?

I'm doing fine. My life's back on track and I'm engaged to the most wonderful woman in the world. We're getting married this July.

How's yourself and the family?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:46 pm
Engaged, congrats!

So, who wants to administer the swift kick? (See top of last page.) Hey, make a nice orderly line, no cutting! Everyone gets a chance!

(Tomorrow, I'm going tomorrow, I swear...)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:58 pm
I beat the boys off of my daughters.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:05 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
Is that you, BP?

I'm doing fine. My life's back on track and I'm engaged to the most wonderful woman in the world. We're getting married this July.

How's yourself and the family?

It's me. glad to hear you're doing well and in love. squinney and cubs are great. I was in bad shape last year but now I'm doing great.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:06 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I beat the boys off.

damn cj.... Shocked
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:09 pm
It's good to hear the family is well. Glad that you are too. What was the problem, if you don't mind my asking?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:10 pm
health problems. major surgery that did not go well. long recuperance which didn't go so hot either. I'm okay now though, I'm a tough old sumbitch.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:13 pm
Quote:
cjhsa wrote:
I beat the boys off.

damn cj.... Shocked

You should at least use an ellipsis, bear. Fair is fair.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:19 pm
Sorry to hear of it, but glad you're better now.

I went through a lot of trauma and angst myself, but came out pretty much the better for it. New house, new girl, new life.

It's hard to keep old birds like us down, I guess.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:21 pm
yes indeed we're pretty tough old bastids....
0 Replies