How do you keep in shape?

roger

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:55 pm
I looked it over too. What was missing from my search results was a price. And it looks pricey.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:21 am
We pay 8.90 Euros per workout at the place we go to. I think that's a fair price since there is one person who is taking care of only you. The guy who runs the place in our street has only one machine at the moment. That's also something I like about it - no crowds...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:25 am
people who are 44 years old still work out?
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:29 am
Yup! Surprising, isn't it? It's probably because I'm German... We do the weirdest things...
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:36 am
When I was 44 I bench pressed cows. Now I am down to hamsters.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:43 am
Aaawww, cute little hamsters? I do not want to know any details!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 09:52 am
I can get a pair of slacks cleaned and pressed for about $4.00. What do they charge for cows, gus?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 06:20 pm
It's about the same price, roger. $4.25 per cow or $4.00 apiece when you do five or more.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:17 pm
I'll try them on one, and see how it works out, then.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:20 pm
My work out involves pizza and beer.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:23 pm
...and i'm still impressionable at my tender age. i do whatever littlek does.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:27 pm
Oh no!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:28 pm
Not bad. Not bad at all, but you know littlek is going to put some really odd topping on it.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:28 pm
littlek, I could go for a workout like that! Razz
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:30 pm
Odd toppings??!!?
0 Replies

rg123

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:01 am
I like to run, but have problems with my illiotibial bands if I run too much. Have found that I can generally run a couple of times a week, though, without causing myself problems - typically 4.2-5 miles a run, but once in a rare while as much as 8.5 miles. Have not done any more than that, but just that much feels great.

If you read something like Runner's World magazine, you will see "basic" training programs listed that suggest a lot more weekly mileage than I do even to, say, get in shape to run a 5k race, but I ran a 5k race back in November with a 7:14 per mile pace, which I was pretty happy with since I never ran at all before my mid 30's.

If anybody else out there has experienced pain in the sides of the knees from running (or something like backpacking), it may be your illiotibial bands. I've found that, after I do a run, I feel a lot of tightness in the sides of my hips (the itb runs from the side of the hip down past the outside of the knee). As long as I wait until that tightness in my hips goes away before running again, I'm OK. If I ignore that, though, the bands are too tight and then rub against the outside of my knees when I run, which really irritates them, and that takes a long time to recover from. There are also some stretching exercises you can do to help keep your illiotibial bands from getting too tight. I have stopped backpacking, though, which sucks, since I really enjoyed that.

I've found in the past that counting/reducing calories and walking a lot works best for me for losing weight. One morning some years back, I was behind schedule for my morning walk before work and so ran sections of it to save time. Couldn't run for long at a time at first, but after doing that over time, the running segments of my "walk" got longer and longer until I was able to run the whole thing without even having started out with that as a goal. So, that's how I got into running, but I still try to walk a lot since my running is limited.

Back in highschool/college, I was heavily into Tae Kwon Do, which is great exercise, and the flexibility aspect was great, too - so I can relate to those folks who like Yoga. Wish I hadn't let that fall by the wayside and need to get back into stretching out.

During the winters, I snowboard now - learned when I was 39 (am 42 now). Am not into doing the jumps/rails that the younger boarders do, but love cruising around the mountain and can do double black diamonds OK.

Think I'm going to try hang-gliding this year, but that won't really be a keep in shape kinda activity, just something that seems like it would be fun...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 08:12 am
cardio six days a week... lifting three days a week... bicyle riding I intend to get back into this summer... and as much vigorous sex as possible (this requires more than one machine however :wink: )
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:03 am
Amen to "virgorous exercise" !

I'm very much a gym rat -at least 5 days a week in then gym. Amazing though that I used to spend about 6 days a week in the pool only. I still mantain that is THE best way to workout. Its great cardio, you can well toned (and with a *little* weight training...get decently ripped!) and its low impact. I think that's the best part. It's pretty hard to hurt yourself in the water!

Oh- and if you're into having a strong core- swimming is good for that as well!

I've heard of the electro-plate thing before. If I'm not mistaken, we had one of those in our training room (athelete's physical therapy clinic, whatever you want to call it) at college....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:07 am
I'm NOT, and I'm so frustrated with myself!

I got to a great start, and then got a little cocky because it was so smooth. Sore but not that sore, generally much more fit than I'd expected, able to do more. Great facility, good childcare, everything good.

Then I got sick, and sozlet got sick (so I couldn't bring her to babysitting), and it's been complicated to get a parking pass and I haven't wanted to spend $5 on parking every time, and I was doing this video workout at home but then came due and I had to return it to the library, and I haven't done squat for about two weeks and I'm furious with myself.

(That was my attempt to motivate myself to get back to it already... I'll let you know how it goes.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 09:18 am
I can't force myself, soz, for more that a few weeks. I really had to find something that I enjoyed doing - not that I'm claiming to be in great shape, but better than if I did nothing.
0 Replies