The Shawshank Redemption VS The Green Mile. Vote Here!

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 01:36 pm
Both Stephen King Novels, Both Directed By Frank Darabont, Both About The Same Theme, Both Amazing Films, But Which Is The Best? Cast your vote here and Feel free to leave a comment about which film you chose and why you chose it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,221 • Replies: 26
No top replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 04:33 am
Shawshank by a mile.No shock/horror,just a bloody good story Very Happy
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 05:16 am
Ditto.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 05:18 am
I like Shawshank but The Green Mile makes me cry for so many reasons.I even bought top Hat as it has the song in that Fred AStaire sings in the section were John Koffee has never seen a film.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:33 pm
"The Green Mile" has a scathing indictment contained therein on capital punishment and barrythemod doesn't realize he made a funny. Shock? Oh, no! I'd give the edge to "Shawshank Redemption," King's other great story. The other is "The Shining."
0 Replies

danny boy

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 05:03 pm
Shawshank is just in a different league.
But green mile was very good also.
I always wonder about prison break out flicks, is it possible to dig so far with a spoon???
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 09:54 pm
Well, I guess with nothing but alot of time on your hands, and the daily opportunity to snatch a fresh spoon when need be. But Andy used that little rock hammer he ordered through Red. Wore it down to a nub.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 10:02 pm
I loved the Shawshank Redemption. Morgan Freeman is one of my favorite actors. The overall message of justice wins out in the end was overwhelming!

I hated the end of the Green Mile. I know that dying was a way out and peace but, was it justice? I don't think so.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 06:12 am
The Green Mile, by a mouse hair.

i thought it was a better story -- Shawshank reminded me quite a bit of Escape from Alcatraz...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 07:07 am
Shawshank is a good film. If you watch enough prison movies, you realize it is not so unique. I loved it first time around, but would not be able to sit through twice.
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 11:07 am
Geen Mile is about a big black man with paranormal powers.

It can't touch- Shawshank.
0 Replies

ripley

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:23 pm
man....this is a hard one. i love both films. But i think i'll vote for the green mile as it had more of an impact on me...it was sad etc. But i'm only finding excuses really...both are fab films.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:03 pm
Both are excellent films, but I like Shawshank better.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:40 pm
Funny thing is - I feel Shawshank was better as a film, however, in reading the two - I prefer the Green Mile. I just think the Green Mile is more difficult to capture in film.
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 05:21 pm
Green Mile was a failure since it referred to paranormal powers. Shawshank was much more realistic and, because of that, much more life affirming. The African-American character in Green Mile could not touch the persona of Morgan Freeman in Shawshank as a believeable character>
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 05:17 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
I loved the Shawshank Redemption. Morgan Freeman is one of my favorite actors. The overall message of justice wins out in the end was overwhelming!

I hated the end of the Green Mile. I know that dying was a way out and peace but, was it justice? I don't think so.

That is exactly my perception!

After voting (obviously at this point), it is 72% Shawshank! * oops * Suddenly, the tyranny of the majority comes to mind. Laughing
0 Replies

LeftCoastBum

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 01:54 am
the green mile is great on so many levels. it makes you actually feel bad like you had a hand in pulling that switch. great film!!! and im not knocking shawshank its great too but its not as emotionally involved as the green mile.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 06:34 pm
very true.
welcome to A2k, LeftCoast...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 08:05 am
Leftcoast - I agree in the emotional level of the Green Mile. That's why I feel in comparing the movies Shawshank comes across as the better movie, whereas in comparing the books - the Green Mile is better. It seems more difficult to portray that emotional level in a movie.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 10:07 am
I gotta tell ya---I've seen "The Green Mile" once and the only scene I recall is that horrible electrocution. I've seen "Shawshank..." several times and, speaking of emotional levels, I'm sniffling from the moment Red is released until he and Andy embrace on that beach. Just imagining what that experience must have been like for Red chokes me up everytime.
0 Replies