"The Manor House"

sozobe

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 11:35 am
Did anyone watch this last night? It's a new series on PBS:

http://www.pbs.org/manorhouse/

It was SO COOL!! I just happened across it (I'd read it was going to be on, but wasn't particularly interested) but was completely hooked immediately.

I'm really interested in the perspective of any British folk who may have seen it. I'm wondering about things like the accents of the "volunteers", in terms of their placement on the hierarchy. (Accents give you away immediately, right?) There was something about the groom and "Master Jonty" coming from very similar backgrounds IRL.

I find it fascinating for the usual reasons, but with really interesting commentary on class and great historical bits. For example, it's been AMAZING to see what the "Lord" and "Lady" say about their servants mere weeks into it. And the information on things like a typical Edwardian lady spent between 4 and 5 hours a day being dressed, just at home, not for any particular reason. All of the meals had their own dress code. Great backdrop to various novels of the period.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it, and wondered if anyone else was watching.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,512 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 03:56 pm
It was shown here last year, Sozobe - and was utterly fascinating and horrible at the same time. The lives of the servants! And how quickly, as you say, the "family", especially the bloke, fall into roles.

Wait and see what happens to madam's sister!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 06:20 pm
I didn't see it, but I just wanted to say "Hi!"

Hi!
0 Replies

edithdoll

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 01:18 pm
I saw one of the first episodes yesterday (Sat. morning) very early, and I only saw the last part. Have to check listings to see when it's on regularly and watch it.
Definitely very interesting.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 4 May, 2003 03:19 pm
Oh hi Swimpy!!

Dlowan, yes, I figured out when I went to the website that it was filmed in 2001, I thought it was more recent than that. (They were in the house for 9/11.)

Was this some sort of sequel to "The 1900 House?" I liked that one, too.

I suddenly have new perspective on lots of old timey things -- read "Brave Irene" by William Steig to the sozlet, noted that the footmen were tall, handsome specimens, remembered that they were paid by height. (!)
0 Replies