New Orleans Mardi Gras

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:04 am
Im glad to see on the news that New Orleans is having a mardi Gras festival.
I was wondering what the significance is of throwing beaded necklaces into the crowd?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 673 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:22 am
Quote:
Throw me somethin', mister!
While it is customary to throw objects during Carnival parades, in New Orleans and Mobile collecting throws is probably the biggest thrill of the season for the general public and for the many tourists who come to Mardi Gras. The tradition of throwing objects during Carnival parades began in the 1830s and became a public nuisance in the 1850s, when people threw dirt, lye, and flour at the crowd. This resulted in a temporary ban on throws.

In the mid-twentieth century, throws became colorful collectibles. As parade floats pass by on Fat Tuesday, costumed krewe members called "maskers" throw hundreds of trinkets into the crowd. These trinkets can be colorful plastic-bead necklaces, aluminum coins called doubloons, plastic cups, stuffed animals, party favors, whistles, plastic harmonicas, toy hand grenades, or just about anything the krewe members decide to give away. The Zulu Krewe once threw hand-painted coconuts to the crowd during Mardi Gras parades.
Source

At the German version of Mardi Gras - called "Karnival" in the Rhineland - , groups throw sweets or other goodies like flowers etc into the watching crowd.
0 Replies