Many Hispanics finding faith in Islam

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 12:04 pm
http://www.bergen.com/img/small_njlogo.jpg

Quote:
Sunday, February 26, 2006

By ELIZABETH LLORENTE
STAFF WRITER

Last year, Gaby Gonzalez wore black nail polish and black eye shadow. She had a messy room, standoffs with mom and occasional drinks.

Today, the Honduran-born 20-year-old is known as Sister Gaby.

She proudly wears her jade-green hijab, which forms a nearly perfect frame around her delicate features and large brown eyes. She prays several times a day and does not wear makeup, eat pork or even utter the phrase "happy hour" – that is all haram, she said, or prohibited in Arabic.

"In my past, I focused on myself. I didn't think about other people, about my parents, just myself and my circle of friends," she said. "Now, every day I strive to be better, to do good, to help others. I stopped being selfish and arrogant."

Gonzalez, who majors in anthropology at Montclair State University, is one of thousands of Latinos who have converted to Islam. So many Latinos have thronged to Islam in recent years that many mosques, including some in North Jersey, have set up special "Latino Muslim" groups within their congregations. And many now offer simultaneous Spanish translations as part of their religious services.

After the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, mosque leaders saw the fear and anger mushrooming against Muslims and decided to reach out to non-Muslim organizations and community groups to demystify Islam and to condemn terrorism.

"When we reached out, we weren't even thinking of Hispanics; we didn't know much about Hispanics," said Mohammed Al-Hayek, the imam at the Islamic Educational Center of North Hudson, in Union City. "But they were the ones who responded. That's when we realized that our outreach focus had to be specifically Hispanics."

Al-Hayek brought in the head of a mosque in Ecuador and asked him to go out into the immigrant enclaves of Hudson County and talk about Islam. For four months, the Ecuadorean went out into the crowded streets of Union City and the surrounding towns, and encouraged people to ask questions about Islam and Muslims. He also visited homes and spoke to local organizations.

"Here was a Latino, someone the people in the Hispanic community could relate to, speaking to them in their own language about Islam," said Al-Hayek, a thin man with a friendly face and wide smile. "It wasn't Arabs speaking to them, and at the beginning especially, that made a big difference."

The mosque's efforts have paid off. Since Al-Hayek began the outreach program five years ago, some 500 Hispanics have visited the mosque, sitting in prayer sessions as guests and attending seminars on Islam. Many converted, usually from Catholicism. Now, Al-Hayek said, of the approximately 1,000 people who regularly worship at the mosque, nearly 200 are Hispanic converts.

Mohamed El-Filali, the outreach director for the Islamic Center of Passaic County, held an "open house" for Hispanics last summer.

"Many of the Latinos who accept Islam are looking for what many people are searching for when they turn to religion in general, which is a way out of one kind of life and a means by which to reach divine acceptance."

Hispanics and Muslims note that their communities have much in common – tight-knit families, reverence for their elders and a tendency to dote on children. They also note that Islam is a core part of the history of Spain, where Muslim Moors ruled for about 800 years. And many Spanish words, they say, come from Arabic.

"They're coming back to their roots," Al-Hayek said.

The sound of Spanish now fills the air at many mosques. On Wednesday night at the mosque in Union City, a group of Hispanic converts spoke Spanish among themselves, with the more veteran ones teaching the newest mosque members how to put on a hijab.

"I don't understand a word they're saying," said Mariam Abbassi, an Oradell business owner, whose eyes darted back and forth as she strained to figure out the conversations. "I'm trying to learn. But it's a pleasure having them here. They're very enthusiastic, very warm; we Muslims feel very strongly about seeing others in our religion as Muslims, not Egyptians or Colombians or Puerto Ricans or Saudis."

Like many Hispanics who embrace Islam, Gonzalez came from a family of devout Catholics. Back in Honduras, her grandmother insisted that Gonzalez strictly adhere to the religion.

"My grandmother whipped me if I didn't go to church, if I didn't read the Bible," she said. "It wasn't something for me that was allowed to develop naturally."

Here, she discovered punk rock music and the punk lifestyle, and for a sheltered Honduran in her teenage years, it was alluring and liberating. "Punk girls wore tight pants, things that showed their figure," she said. "My hair was uncombed."

She was marching to her own beat, but she was still unhappy, she said.

"I was always stressed out, doing things I shouldn't do," Gonzalez said. "I prayed to be led to the right path."

During a college course that looked at different religions, Gonzalez became intrigued by Islam.

"I read more and more about Islam," she said. "I wanted to know what it was that led so many people to submit entirely to this religion. When I read the Quran, I found the truth. It spoke about serving others, putting others first."

Islam made her feel anchored.

But Gonzalez learned that becoming Muslim comes at a price. Some Hispanic converts say they encounter objections from relatives, some of whom have disowned their newly Muslim daughters, sons and grandkids. They find themselves defending their new lifestyles against taunts and warnings by fellow Hispanics about getting recruited into terrorist organizations and losing their freedom to cult-like pressures.

"Most of my family is bigoted against Muslims," said Vincent Gallardo, a student at William Paterson University who converted to Islam two years ago. "A close friend stopped speaking to me," he said. "My mother was very hurt. A Latino co-worker always called out to me: 'Hey Taliban, how's it going?' "

Gonzalez's conversion stunned her friends; some stopped speaking to her. Her parents objected, and she stayed at a friend's home for a while. Even when she found acceptance among some relatives and friends, she said, people disapproved of her veil – a common point of contention, for it is a very tangible, very public expression of devotion to Islam.

Gonzalez's family has come to accept her conversion, she said, and appreciate the positive changes that have occurred in her.

"Islam means submission to God, not that you are chosen to go out and bomb a place – that is a specific group that is not practicing Islam the way it was intended," Gonzalez said. "We don't drink alcohol, we don't eat pork, we pray five times a day, and people look at that and call us fanatics."

source

Quote:
http://www.csmonitor.com/images/pageTopInside.gif
Why European women are turning to Islam

Quote:
"The phenomenon is booming, and it worries us," the head of the French domestic intelligence agency, Pascal Mailhos, told the Paris-based newspaper Le Monde in a recent interview. "But we must absolutely avoid lumping everyone together."

Could this be the result of the post-9/11 interest in Islam ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,659 • Replies: 59
No top replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 12:24 pm
I think its a silly passing phase that juveniles will grow out of...like the black nail polish.

Mohamed wore pink.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 12:50 pm
Steve (as 41oo)

There exists a group of people who desire a strict and authoritative faith. That is the attraction.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 12:52 pm
Actually, I would think that 9/11 would turn people away from Islam more than draw them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 12:55 pm
I would have thought science would be enough to turn people away from all religion. But it don't work that way.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 01:02 pm
Momma Angel

I put the majority of blame on Bin Laden who has thrust this situation on whole communities. In the past I suppose no one knew about Islam or Muslims and no one cared, hence ignorance may have been truely blissful. Now that it’s being showcased more locally in Europe and the U.S. people are curios.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 01:05 pm
I think they get a Tupperware set if they convert a Latino.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 01:05 pm
True that, freedom4free, but you can't blame Bin Laden for an individual's choice, just as I can't blame you for me posting in this thread. And I am, in NO WAY excusing Bin Laden for a thing!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:07 pm
Some will stay with Islam. However, as with any cult the attraction will fade.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 02:46 pm
Here's a good site i found :

Quote:

Islam and Christianity
Similarities and Differences

Contents
Introduction
Similarities - Creation
Similarities - The Lord's Prayer compared to Surah Fatehah
Similarities - Quranic verses to the Biblical 10 Commandments
Similarities - Quranic verses to Laws of Consanguinity
Similarities - Basic Concepts
Similarities - Moral Code
Similarities - Practices
Differences - Basic Concepts
Differences - Moral Code
Differences - Practices
Similarities - Secularism
Differences - Secularism

http://muslim-canada.org/islam_christianity.html

There were more similarities then differences, why can't they all just get along ?
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 03:01 pm
There's nothing which flatters a Muslim's Third World inferiority complex and his medieval religious vanities more than that someone of the modern 21st century Western world should wish to recant his heritage and embrace Islam.

Adolescent personalities of all ages who suffer from low self-esteem and who feel a certain estrangement and disaffection with their own society for it seeming to be indifferent to their concerns and emotional needs -- overnight can find themselves surrounded by a highly-approving and congratulating community of Muslims who embrace them into the fold as part of the family and general strive to make them feel very special indeed.

Essentially it's all based upon exploiting inferiority feelings and perceptions of worthlessness in an Uncaring World. When it wasn't burning witches at the stake the Christian churches have been emotionally exploiting very much the same psychological vulnerabilities for recruiting new members.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 03:17 pm
herberts,

What exactly makes you qualified to judge people/peoples religions ?

Why dont you just leave them alone, i'am sure they are capable of making up their own minds.

And who exactly are you trying to convince ?

Are you possessed by the Devil ?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 03:20 pm
herberts,

I'm afraid I have to agree with freedom4free here. You have no clue as to why I am a Christian. You can make all the assumptions you want but that doesn't make them correct.
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 03:45 pm
freedom4free.... I too would like to live in a Pollyanna World in which brotherly love prevails above all despite our political and religious differences of opinion.

But what one has to understand about Islam is that running parallel to its religious intentions there is also a very determined and very patient political ambition for Islamizing the Western world at every level of society.

If Islam were simply a religion, we would never have heard of Osama bin Laden or of the many terrorist atrocities which in recent years have been commited upon Western nations.

As for the similarities between Islam and Christianity such a list may beguile and charm the naive and the gullible - but a more thorough investigation reveals a very contrary (and distrubing) picture.

I personally am utterly convinced that a Westernised and more mild form of Islam will be the dominant religion and social more throughout the Western world within only 150 years or so.

I have no doubts about this at all. And this will all have been achieved quietly and gradually through further Islamic immigration - and the higher birth-rate among Muslims - and most of all -- through our very own democratic traditions wherein community representatives are voted into positions of political power through the votes of their community.

And for as long as our politicians persist in stubbornly adhering to a policy of 'multiculturalism' and 'political correctness' towards minority cultures we, the mainstream, haven't a hope in hell of maintaining our predominant position in our homeland into the foreseeable future.

True Islam unmasked
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 03:49 pm
With all due respect, herberts, horse hockey! Laughing You are making assumptions that every person that follows a religion does it because they have no self-esteem, are naive, gullible, etc. Again, horse friggin hockey! Laughing
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 04:09 pm
freedom4free....
Quote:
Herbert, are you possessed of the devil... ?

This really is the Christian Horrors of the Middle Ages revisited, isn't it?

Galilei Galileo...
Quote:
"Holy Father, my scientific observations have led me to discover that the Earth is not the centre of the universe, but indeed is only a very junior planet circling around a very ordinary sun in our solar system... "

The High Priest of the Catholic Church...
Quote:
What!? How dare you suggest such blasphemy! Guards! - Take this miserable apostate down to the dungeons for a little re-education for the Good of his Soul!!

freedom4free - I'm not going to rise to your bait. I know from past experience that forums run by English administrators are by far the most reluctant to allow a free and untrammelled discourse between its members - and forums such as these are littered with threads that have been locked down as a result of the politically correct anxiety of its administrative staff.

freedom4free... let's have a look at your monicker for a brief moment before I pass on... (or get banned).... 'freedom4free'... Dear O dear O dear -- tell him someone - what's wrong with this picture? 'freedom4free'...

FREEDOM IS NEVER FOR FREE... it has to be EARNED and FOUGHT for, and guarded with great vigilance against the incursion of those who would wish to subsume you beneath the banner of the Swastika or the Rising Sun or the Eliptical Moon of Islam.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 04:16 pm
herberts,

So you're scared, why didn't ya say that earlier ?

Relax!

Quote:

UK: Islam not a threat, says former cabinet minister

Islam is not a threat to the West, says former Tory Chancellor, Lord Lamont. He believed such a view is “foolish” but blamed the media for highlighting what he called a minority view on the issue.

“There are attempts by some parts of the media, reflecting public opinion, to create a clash between the civilisations, the Christian west and Islam,” Lord Lamont told The Muslim News. But one cannot “regard a great religion like Islam, as being in some sense, the enemy of civilisation”, he said.

And where did ya find that cheap unprofessional propaganda website ?

Whats wrong with all the official Islamic and Christian websites ?
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 04:32 pm
I luv you too momma Angel!! http://67.18.37.14/html/emoticons/wub.gif Laughing I've been talking horse-fritters you say... ?? Laughing Well, at least I'm getting you and... (groan)... 'freedomcostsnuthin' to get off your arse and put pen to paper here!

It's all academic anyway... our great great grandchildren will be attending their local mosque with the rest of the population in a few decades from now - so yours and my religious squabbles are really very redundant and rhetorical in the context of what awaits Western society in a few decades from now.

momma Angel on the rampage...
Quote:
With all due respect, herberts, horse hockey! Laughing You are making assumptions that every person that follows a religion does it because they have no self-esteem, are naive, gullible, etc. Again, horse friggin hockey! Laughing:lol:

No, momma... YOU are making the assumption that
I am making the assumption that all religious people are suffering from a deficit of emotional security.

That's simply not true. I am well-aware that in the temporal lobe of the human brain there is the so-called God-Spot which in certain people activates a compulsion towards religious worship and the belief in a Divine Being.

In stark contrast to these flights of religious fancy most of these people are otherwise supremely rational and reasonable and sensible where secular issues are concerned. Religious belief is of course a symptom of mental aberration induced by emotional insecurities, or feelings of self-aggrandisement - or simply due to an over-active God-Spot gland.

Laughing
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 04:48 pm
herberts

Quote:
In stark contrast to these flights of religious fancy most of these people are otherwise supremely rational and reasonable and sensible where secular issues are concerned. Religious belief is of course a symptom of mental aberration induced by emotional insecurities, or feelings of self-aggrandisement - or simply due to an over-active God-Spot gland.

You need to see a Psychiatrist.

I can tell from all the words you use :

mental
feelings
symptom
emotional
insecurities
over-active
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 04:55 pm
herberts wrote:
I luv you too momma Angel!! http://67.18.37.14/html/emoticons/wub.gif Laughing I've been talking horse-fritters you say... ?? Laughing Well, at least I'm getting you and... (groan)... 'freedomcostsnuthin' to get off your arse and put pen to paper here!

Well, if you knew me you would know I'm putting pen to paper alot on A2K. Laughing

It's all academic anyway... our great great grandchildren will be attending their local mosque with the rest of the population in a few decades from now - so yours and my religious squabbles are really very redundant and rhetorical in the context of what awaits Western society in a few decades from now.

This is what I mean herberts. YOU have decided the way it is. You make it sound like you are the one with all the answers and those of us that have religious beliefs are wasting our lives or something.

momma Angel on the rampage...
Quote:
With all due respect, herberts, horse hockey! Laughing You are making assumptions that every person that follows a religion does it because they have no self-esteem, are naive, gullible, etc. Again, horse friggin hockey! Laughing:lol:

No, momma... YOU are making the assumption that
I am making the assumption that all religious people are suffering from a deficit of emotional security.

That's simply not true. I am well-aware that in the temporal lobe of the human brain there is the so-called God-Spot which in certain people activates a compulsion towards religious worship and the belief in a Divine Being.

herberts, are you trying to tell me that someone believes in God because of something in their brain and not their heart? Sweetie, trust me, has nothing to do with organics.

In stark contrast to these flights of religious fancy most of these people are otherwise supremely rational and reasonable and sensible where secular issues are concerned. Religious belief is of course a symptom of mental aberration induced by emotional insecurities, or feelings of
self-aggrandisement - or simply due to an over-active God-Spot gland.

Flights of religious fancy? Otherwise supremely ration and reasonable and sensible? A symptom of mental aberration induced by emotional insecurities, or feelings of ..........??????? Sweetie, are you a psychiatrist or did ya just stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night? Can't you see how you are flat out telling me and others with religious beliefs we are well, whackjobs?

And I am in no way angry with you. Not at all. You are not the only person in the world that feels this way. I'm a live and let live person. Laughing

Laughing
l
0 Replies