CAN THIS BE DONE?

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 01:35 pm
Yesterday when I turned on my monitor it started smoking and went ZAP! Well, it's fried. I think a cat peed in it. Rolling Eyes I am using a very, very old monitor right now and can barely see the type and it has this yellow tinge to it. I run an hp pavillion ab820n. I also have an Apple IMac that is a complete computer in itself. The monitor and hard drive are all in one type of thing.

What I want to know is this, is there anyway I can bypass the hard drive on the Apple iMac and use the monitor part of the computer on my hp? I haven't a clue and don't want to try to do something before I even know if it can be done.

So, any of you experts out there that can tell me and then maybe walk me through it, I'd be so grateful. I can't afford another monitor for a couple of weeks and I'm afraid I'm gonna go blind before then by looking at this screen!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 691 • Replies: 6
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:03 pm
Without going downstairs and tearing an IMac apart, I'm gonna guess the IMac's monitor is pretty much sorta dedicatedly hardwired to its video adapter; of course it can be done, but not without a buncha fussing around of a nature you're not real likely to wanna get into, unless you're a geek with a cluttered up workbench, a drving curiosity, plenty of time to spare, a crimping tool, some VGA cables and connectors, and the relevant pinout chart. I dunno, though; mebbe you could kinda sorta do it with a KVM switch, use the IMac monitor/keyboard to control the PC - never tried that myself.

Hmmmmm . I got mosta that - all of it, in fact, except the curiosity part.

Monitors are cheap; a 15" or even 17" CRT-type (full-size TV-like chassis) can be had for well under a hundred bucks, and even cheaper used ones abound; with panel display prices dropping the way they are, ain't much market for CRT monitors, particularly used ones. If you're anywhere near a city of any size, a few phonecalls no doubt will give you lotsa affordable options.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 02:56 pm
Thanx Timber. Well, this was easier than I thought. All I had to do was wait until my husband wanted to look at cars and motorcycles on the computer. He pulled up one picture and said "sh!t!" Let's go get you a new monitor! So, I am now the proud owner of a brand new 17" monitor that I can actually read! Laughing

I appreciate the help!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 03:02 pm
Good to hear hubby's got his priorities straight. Happy new monitor.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 03:03 pm
LOL. Yeah, I hear ya! Thanx!
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:11 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Thanx Timber. Well, this was easier than I thought. All I had to do was wait until my husband wanted to look at cars and motorcycles on the computer. He pulled up one picture and said "sh!t!" Let's go get you a new monitor! So, I am now the proud owner of a brand new 17" monitor that I can actually read! Laughing

I appreciate the help!

Now that's a man who knows where his priorities are !
Cool
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:17 pm
That's just what Timber said! But, if you both don't mind, I don't think I'll pass that along to my husband.http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/laughing1.gif
0 Replies