Idle for 3 cold, years

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:02 pm
My 1995 Ford Mustang has been sitting in the driveway in Alaska for the past 3 years, undriven. About 2 years ago, my dad tried to move it, but it didn't start. We decided its time to get it running again and we are planning to have it towed to a mechanic for repair.

We didn't plan on leaving the car idle for so long. We never bothered to drain the gas or the oil, or take any other precautions before letting it sit, so I'm nervous that the car might have major issues. What problems should we look out for? Beyond getting it fixed, I am planning to drive it 3000 miles to California in the spring. Is that a realistic expectation for a 12 year old car thats spent the last four years idle and outside?

Thanks for the help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 715 • Replies: 7
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:47 pm
Why not. Definately change the oil at least twice, and keep an eye on the fluid levels. Not sure about that kind of climate and atmospheric polution. The tires are probably not as good as they look, especially if they've been sitting on concrete. Look over the rest of the rubber goods - belts, hoses, etc.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 05:58 pm
I imagine it has fuel injection. You may have to have the injectors taken apart and cleaned. There's a good chance many of the seals have dried out from lack of use in which case you can expect everything to leak. Another issue might be varmints like mouse nests in the dash (depending on where it was parked of course).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 09:35 pm
Was it up on blocks or were the tires supporting the weight of the car? If it wasn't on blocks, I'd be worried about the tires.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 09:41 pm
Drain the gas tank and check for rust the gas may have turned to water by now. At least that is what I have heard can happen.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2006 08:34 am
I have a Dodge Dakota that I leave parked for six months at a time. I friend comes by and starts it for me every couple of weeks but doesn't take it out on the road. I always leave it with a full tank and poor in a gasoline preservative before parking it. The only problem I've had is the fuel lines rotting out.
0 Replies

stophands

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:13 pm
Mouse nests! I hadn't heard or thought of that. Wouldn't doubt it, though. Mice in Alaska seem very tough.

Thanks for all the advice!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:22 pm
take out each spark plug, squirt a little oil in each plug hole, disconnect the coil and turn the crank a few turns.
0 Replies