Bathtub Surround

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:56 pm
Can anyone give me a detailed description on how to install a plastic bathtub surround. We have already stripped that wall down and plastered it....whats next?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,878 • Replies: 6
No top replies

shari6905

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:09 pm
I found a pretty good website..but tips are welcome!
0 Replies

Phil Hughes

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:14 pm
Surrounds can be installed over drywall, plaster, tile, or any solid, flat wall. Most kits contain either three or five pieces that overlap to account for different dimensions. Kits include detailed instructions, which you should read before you leave the store. You may need to buy a recommended adhesive and color-matched caulk. Here are the basics for installing a tub surround in your home.

Tip: Save carton to use as a template.

Step 1. Prepare Walls: Prepare the walls of the alcove by first removing the faucet spout, handles, and trim with screwdrivers, Allen wrench, or adjustable wrench, as required. Next, remove any soap dish or other obstacles. Then make any needed repairs to make sure the existing surface is solid and secure. If the surface is slick, such as ceramic tile, sand it with coarse sandpaper. Clean and re-caulk the tub joint.

Tip: Consider installing support handrails to make your tub safer, especially if the framing is exposed. Rails must be anchored into framing or to wood blocking between studs about 21 inches above

Step 2. Measure: Measure spout and faucet locations and transfer measurements onto a cardboard template that you cut from the shipping carton. Position the template on the wall and make any necessary corrections before tracing the openings onto the end wall panel.

Tip: You may want to write "wall" on one side to remind you which way the template must be positioned when tracing cutouts onto the end panel.

Step 3. Make Cuts: Cut the appropriate size holes in the panel as traced in Step 2 using a hole saw bit in an electric drill. To do this, place the panel face up on a scrap of plywood or other surface used for drilling.

Tip: A jigsaw with a fine-tooth blade may be used to cut the large hole for a single-valve control. Bore a 3/8-in. starter hole for the saw blade anywhere inside the cutout area.

Step 4. Trial Fit: Mark centerlines and level top lines on the walls and panels and trial fit the wall sections in the sequence directed by the manufacturer. Check that the tops and centerlines align, and that the tops are level. Secure them with masking tape and trace the top edges on the wall with a pencil before removing panels.

Tip: If you need to cut a panel, use the tool suggested by the kit manufacturer. Many can be cut with several passes of a utility knife guided by a straightedge. It produces the cleanest cut. A jigsaw with a fine-tooth blade may also be acceptable.

Step 5. Adhere Panels: Apply adhesive in beads with a caulking gun or spread with notched trowel, as directed by kit manufacturer. Some panels may also have peel-and-stick tape. Press panels into place on your pencil lines. Some makers suggest that you brace the walls with lumber until the adhesive has cured.

Step 6. Finishing Touches: Allow the adhesive to cure for up to 24 hours before you apply a finish bead of caulk to all joints, as directed. Replace faucet spout and handles. Allow caulk to cure as directed by the manufacturer before using the tub.

Tip: Cut the tip of the caulk tube at a 45-degree angle and start with a small hole. You can always make it larger but not smaller.

Materials List

Tape measure
Level (2-ft. min.)
Hole saw bit(s)
Utility knife
Adhesive
Allen wrench
Bathtub surround kit
V-notched trowel or caulking gun
Pencil
Electric drill
Jigsaw
Roofing cement
Adjustable wrench
Caulk
Lumber to brace walls
Standard and Phillips screwdrivers
0 Replies

shari6905

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:16 pm
I think thats the same thing that I printed off the website I found but THANK YOU and I will use this.
0 Replies

Phil Hughes

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 07:37 pm
Very well. Any contractor should follow these steps in any case.

I work with wood mostly (carpentry), and on rare occasions do I work on such projects; though I have completed only one surround in my life- out of necessity that is.

And do not be intimidated, if at all; all renovation and construction projects are akin to haircuts: at first they do not "look" good and neat (questions arise), then improvement comes on with little way to final progress (more questions), and finally, when you stop asking questions and do the work in the proper order and with the correct materials, that progress comes forward.

I hope it comes out well.
0 Replies

shari6905

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 08:00 pm
Thanks Phil and welcome to A2K. I will probably have questions throughout my bathroom adventure and I will expect you to be here when I have them...lol Just kidding. But I will post so check back.
0 Replies

Phil Hughes

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:46 pm
Of course, I will attempt to answer any questions you may have. I admit that I enjoy it- carpentry, renovations, etc- so it is my pleasure to help you or anyone else for such matters.

Remember, follow those directions and you will be fine; and, in my own opinion, you too will enjoy the entire project. Next thing you know, you will be meditating on larger projects. :wink:
0 Replies