500 PHD-level scientists who refuse to buy into evo-loserism

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:25 am
http://www.dissentfromdarwin.org/

Over 500 Scientists Proclaim Their Doubts About Darwin's Theory of Evolution

Over 500 doctoral scientists have now signed a statement publicly expressing their skepticism about the contemporary theory of Darwinian evolution.

The Scientific Dissent >From Darwinism statement reads: "We are skeptical of claims for the ability of random mutation and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. Careful examination of the evidence for Darwinian theory should be encouraged."

The list of 514 signatories includes member scientists from the prestigious US and Russian National Academy of Sciences. Signers include 154 biologists, the largest single scientific discipline represented on the list, as well as 76 chemists and 63 physicists. Signers hold doctorates in biological sciences, physics, chemistry, mathematics, medicine, computer science, and related disciplines. Many are professors or researchers at major universities and research institutions such as MIT, The Smithsonian, Cambridge University, UCLA, UC Berkeley, Princeton, the University of Pennsylvania, the Ohio State University, the University of Georgia, and the University of Washington.

Discovery Institute first published its Scientific Dissent From Darwinism list in 2001 to challenge false statements about Darwinian evolution made in promoting PBS's "Evolution" series. At the time it was claimed that "virtually every scientist in the world believes the theory to be true."

"Darwinists continue to claim that no serious scientists doubt the theory and yet here are 500 scientists who are willing to make public their skepticism about the theory," said Dr. John G. West, associate director of Discovery Institute's Center for Science & Culture. "Darwinist efforts to use the courts, the media and academic tenure committees to suppress dissent and stifle discussion are in fact fueling even more dissent and inspiring more scientists to ask to be added to the list."

According to West, it was the fast growing number of scientific dissenters which encouraged the Institute to launch a website -- www.dissentfromdarwin.org -- to give the list a permanent home. The website is the Institute's response to the demand for information and access to the list both by the public, and by scientists who want to add their name to list.

"Darwin's theory of evolution is the great white elephant of contemporary thought," said Dr. David Berlinski, one of the original signers, a mathematician and philosopher of science with Discovery Institute's Center for Science and Culture (CSC). "It is large, almost completely useless, and the object of superstitious awe."

Other prominent signatories include U.S. National Academy of Sciences member Philip Skell; American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow Lyle Jensen; evolutionary biologist and textbook author Stanley Salthe; Smithsonian Institution evolutionary biologist and a researcher at the National Institutes of Health's National Center for Biotechnology Information Richard von Sternberg; Editor of Rivista di Biologia / Biology Forum --the oldest still published biology journal in the world-- Giuseppe Sermonti; and Russian Academy of Natural Sciences embryologist Lev Beloussov.

If you have a Ph.D. in engineering, mathematics, computer science, biology, chemistry, or one of the other natural sciences, and you agree with the following statement, "We are skeptical of claims for the ability of random mutation and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. Careful examination of the evidence for Darwinian theory should be encouraged," then please contact us at [email protected].

Posted by Robert Crowther on February 20, 2006 07:28 AM | Permalink
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,061 • Replies: 99
No top replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:26 am
http://www.kcfs.org/images/Neanderthal.jpg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:35 am
May I ask what you consider to be the driving force behind survival of the fittest, or are you a proponent of equal time vis-a-vis devolution?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:55 am
Chumly wrote:
May I ask what you consider to be the driving force behind survival of the fittest...

Hype...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 03:17 am
Is that a self portrait, Gunga?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:41 am
Religious Tolerance Page that I present without benefit of a cut-n-paste.

Rap
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:44 pm
Umm does it fuckin matter if "PHD level Scientists" don't agree wth it? No....that doesn't change if it's right or wrong. What a silly topic...
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 03:18 pm
El-Diablo wrote:
Umm does it **** matter if "PHD level Scientists" don't agree wth it? No....that doesn't change if it's right or wrong. What a silly topic...

In a rational world it wouldn't. Nonetheless, that's one of the major points the evo-losers try to make. It works occasionally when they find a judge stupid enough to buy it like in the recent case in Pa.

By now of course it's very obvious to the man on the street that it's the evo-losers who have something to hide and who are afraid of rational discussion and debate.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:38 pm
Now click your heels together, Gunge, and repeat to yourself three times 'I can get back to Kansas.

Quote:
Onion

Rap
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:47 pm
Given the hateful rhetoric in gunga's posts, I hesitate to ask what spiritual power he thinks created life on earth. Then again, I recall some of his earlier threads proposing Martian waters as the source...
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:00 pm
I love the "scientific" disciplines of some of the signers.

Doctor of Philosophy
Psychology - at least 5 of those.
PHD in Agronomy
Veterinary Medicine
PHD in exercise physiology.

I can't find a single biologist on the list that teaches at a US university. Lots of people CLAIMING to have PHDs that don't seem to be using them in their listed field. I wonder what would happen if we actually CHECKED their supposed resumes?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:14 pm
gungasnake wrote:
Chumly wrote:
May I ask what you consider to be the driving force behind survival of the fittest...

Hype...
OK, are you a proponent of equal time vis-a-vis devolution?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:59 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Given the hateful rhetoric in gunga's posts, I hesitate to ask what spiritual power he thinks created life on earth. Then again, I recall some of his earlier threads proposing Martian waters as the source...

He projects himself onto his god.

The kind of god we create (if we do so) is a reflection of ourselves.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 10:41 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Given the hateful rhetoric in gunga's posts......

What's wrong with hating ignorance?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:02 am
Then you must really believe that Benedict Arnold was alive in 1834?

That leads to the question, who is buried in Benedict Arnold's tomb?

Rap
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 12:55 am
gungasnake: Do you know everything?

No? Then you're ignorant and hate it.
Yes? Then you're ignorant about your ignorance.
0 Replies

RaceDriver205

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 06:26 am
So let me get this right, gungasnake.
You disagree that evolution actually occurs, and natural selection actually occurs?
And when you say that evolution could not account for modern life, do you take into account that however slow evolution is, 5 BILLION YEARS or so is a long time for it to come up with some goods?
And given that there are a great deal of spiritual ideas for the beginning of life, which of these do you agree with; OR do you believe in an alternative scientific idea as to the orgin of life?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:07 am
RaceDriver205 wrote:
So let me get this right, gungasnake.
You disagree that evolution actually occurs, and natural selection actually occurs?
And when you say that evolution could not account for modern life, do you take into account that however slow evolution is, 5 BILLION YEARS or so is a long time for it to come up with some goods?

You need to read up a bit, particularly on the topic of J.B.S. Haldane and the problems which population genetics pose for evoloserism, and the so-called Haldane Dilemma. Five billion years would not be anywhere remotely close to long enough.

Quote:

And given that there are a great deal of spiritual ideas for the beginning of life, which of these do you agree with; OR do you believe in an alternative scientific idea as to the orgin of life?

ANY religion would be better than evolution, and that includes voodoo, Odin worship, and santarea. You could take your pick.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:15 am
How about worshipping aliens?
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 11:22 am
gungasnake wrote:
ANY religion would be better than evolution, and that includes voodoo, Odin worship, and santarea. You could take your pick.

This is fear.
Raw and naked fear.
I'm really shocked to see it so clearly displayed.

You don't have to be afraid of the unknown you know.
The unknown is full of things that you just haven't found out about yet.
You don't need someone "higher" than you to tell you that the universe is all right.
You can go and find out for yourself.
It's easy.
You just go out and look at things.
When you start to realise that the things you are seeing fit together in a way that you can actually understand and that they make some sense to you then the fear vanishes.

Don't close your mind and give in to the fear.
0 Replies