Is it ok to make fun of the Amish on electronic mediums?

Equus

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 09:23 am
What goes, "clippity-clop, clippity-clop, BANG BANG, clippity-clop?"
--An Amish drive by shooting.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 09:38 am
Phoenix when you can't dance, go to town, have a car, buy from
the limited, go online, have a beer that's a tough life.

I say let 'em give it to ya up the you know what occasionally. they deserve SOME joy in their lives.

Psssst....don't let the Baptists know however.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 04:14 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Of course it's ok to poke fun of the Amish...

Isn't that what they're there for?

No Slappy - that's what YOU'RE there for.

I am gonna sue Craven - I am still in love with that smegging hot chair...
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 10:50 am
There are different kinds of Amish. Some Amish consider it okay to travel by airplane or car-- PROVIDED that they aren't the ones actually 'using'/operating the technology.

I'm aware of a group called the Hutterians, who split off from the Amish and have farming colonies in North Dakota & surrounding states. Unless I am very mistaken, they accept most technology for farming and livestock raising purposes; but still eschew technology at home and in their personal lives.

Mennonites have theology similar to the Amish, but can have modern conveniences. At least, I know several urban Mennonites that are indistinguishable from mainstream Americans.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 11:52 am
and then there are Mennonites and then there are Mennonites - Old Order, Reform etc etc.

I went to uni in a Mennonite area just west of here (in fact my uni was a Mennonite college when it started out 50+ years ago) - lots of variants of what was permissible.

Making fun of the Amish/Mennonites is no less rude/ugly than making fun of Catholics/Jews/Muslims. Ugly.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 02:02 pm
If a court finds an Amish person guilty of murder, can they give him the electric chair? Or do they have to let him sit in a non-electric chair until he dies?
0 Replies