Animals Vote 100% Anti-Capitalism?

coberst

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 05:57 am
Animals Vote 100% Anti-capitalism?

If the animals of the world could vote would they vote for capitalism? Is this a trivial question?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,543 • Replies: 25
No top replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:14 am
Well, it's a strange one, coberst. Why do you ask?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 07:38 am
I ask this question because I think it is important for the population to focus upon the logic of Capitalism.

The Market is the altar upon which Capitalism worships. It is the Market, an object, which is the policy maker for most of our decisions regarding social policy. The Market determines social values based upon the expression of the buyers and sellers in the Market. One might ask is there any better way to determine the wants and desires of the people.

I think that the Market has proven to be an efficient means for determining (estimating) the desires of the people. The Market is also an efficient means for determining (manipulating the desires of the people through commercial and societal propaganda) the desires of the people.

If we do not become conscious of all aspects of the matter we cannot act as responsible stewards of our legacy. It seems to me that if we follow the logic (the principles) of Capitalism we will quickly discover that these principles lead us to destroy our planet through thoughtless over consumption of its bounties. There is some tipping point where the earth can no longer heal it self from the virus of our over consumption of its resources.

I do not know the solution but I am convinced that a population either running with the herd or standing about staring into the distance is a catalyst for the earth's destruction.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 09:16 am
I imagine that the animals of the world are not unlike the people of the world... you'd have to ask them individually. I can see ants voting against capitalism, but I can't see squirrels doing so.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 05:39 pm
I'm reminded of an ol' Cold War joke:

"What the difference between capitalism and communism? In capitalism, man exploits man; in communism, it's the other way around."
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:29 pm
I think animals would vote for enough food, enough sex, and a good nap.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:39 pm
Some animals are more equal then others.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:40 pm
Orwell's pigs would be against it, being the most equal among equals.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 06:43 pm
So what do we do about Orwell's pigs?

How about doing whats fair for everyone and not calling it anything?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 07:08 am
The point I am trying to make is that all non human animals if they had the power to reason and vote would throw humans overboard because humans are destroying the beautiful and wonderful planet with their selfish and undisciplined behavior.

It seems to me that we spend our legacy like a bunch of drunken sailors unconcerned about future generations or the welfare of other creatures that share this earth with humans.
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 11:32 am
It seems to me that the most obvious evidence as to the error in the Intelligent Design idea is that no entity capable of creating this beautiful earth would have added the one and only blemish, which is the human species.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 12:31 pm
IMO, if animals knew what was good for them, they would never give blind support for capitalism, and they would absolutely oppose corporate power. And that goes for human animals, as well.
The funny thing is, I don't think anyone consciously supports corporate power. It just kind of supports itself... It really is a self-sustaining entity. It gets support from people because we want what it has. Corporate power has the food. It has the medicine. It has the clothes. It has the fun. It has everything we desire, and we sell our souls to get it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 02:38 am
Absolutely no morality in corporate power ... for animals or humans!
0 Replies

Instigate

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 03:57 am
What makes you think dogs, pigs or chickens would be any different than humans if they had the power to reason and vote?
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:15 am
Instigate

I really do find you animated icon to be in poor taste. Perhaps your are a teenager in which case you may not yet understand such things,
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 03:02 pm
Instigate wrote:
What makes you think dogs, pigs or chickens would be any different than humans if they had the power to reason and vote?

I, for one, have not seen sufficient evidence to prove that humans are the only animals with the ability to reason. The main thing that sets us apart, as far as I can see, is our highly developed and detailed system of language. So I think that dogs, pigs or chickens would vote no differently than us humans, assuming they were constantly bombarded with the same kind of corporate propaganda. Most voters are uninformed and reckless.

I like your signature, BTW.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 06:38 pm
If animals had the power to reason and vote, they'd be, erm, oh yes, humans. What is it about the animal kingdom that makes it so good, just and unselfish as to do anything differently given reason and a voting system than us. Pollution and the environment obviously spring to mind, we've made various mistakes but in which rulebook did it state that we weren't allowed to be fallible.

We're just more advanced animals, that's very arguably it, we're governed by the same stuff as animals are, the need for food, drink and sex, we live off our instincts and gut needs. Times are changing and so are the needs of man, we're branching out and no doubt questioning ourselves more (which can only be a good thing), but still our needs stem from want and hunger. How are animals any different, they're pure and simplified forms of us...

Quote:
It seems to me that the most obvious evidence as to the error in the Intelligent Design idea is that no entity capable of creating this beautiful earth would have added the one and only blemish, which is the human species.

You say this, as a human being, because you're a human being. If the universe has a sense of humour, it's laughing at us, IMHO.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:15 pm
coberst wrote:
The point I am trying to make is that all non human animals if they had the power to reason and vote would throw humans overboard because humans are destroying the beautiful and wonderful planet with their selfish and undisciplined behavior.

It seems to me that we spend our legacy like a bunch of drunken sailors unconcerned about future generations or the welfare of other creatures that share this earth with humans.

The way I see it, there are two differences between the damage humans do to the environment and the damage other animals do:

1) Our extraordinary ability to communicate and co-operate has made the scale of our damage (and success as a species) much larger than normal.

2) We are the only animal with an ability to understand and control (and possibly even prevent some of) the damage we do. No other animal has the slightest trace of guilt. Termites, locusts, cane toads, HN51, cute little baby lambs,....not a trace of remorse in any of 'em.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 07:27 am
coberst,

You may be correct in your general thesis but have you taken steps to redress your own contribution to such an ecological imbalance ? Since we in the West consume 26 times per capita more of the earths resources than the poorest nations, our personal "ecology audits " would be pretty horrific. I suggest to you that our "concern" is a palliative philosophical crumb from the lips of the "rich"...like the millionaire who feels good by giving the odd thousand dollars.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2006 07:44 am
echi wrote:
I, for one, have not seen sufficient evidence to prove that humans are the only animals with the ability to reason.
My wife tells me she is reasonable....
0 Replies