Gay marriage debate centers on history vs. change

Montana

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:04 pm
Momma
I don't mean to interupt, but I just wanted to say that even though we disagree on this issue, I know you're not discriminating against gays. If you were, you wouldn't have gay friends ;-)
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:05 pm
And neither does my just believing it or discussing it. Get it? It's called freedom of speech. Freedom of speech, Lash. You are so fond of spouting it. Or does that just mean it's ok for you because you don't have the intent of offending someone?

Yeah, fine. Rolling Eyes Weasel out of it. Just like you tried to weasel out of towel head being offensive. Rolling Eyes At least I have the guts to admit I can be called discriminating because of my words.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:06 pm
Lash wrote:
The word towelhead doesn't withhold rights from anyone.

If anyone else wants to take issue with that point, I'll be glad to.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:07 pm
Thank you, Montana. I am glad that you understand my stand on this. Just trying to get Lash to understand it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:09 pm
http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation11/Animals/Chickens_and_Turkeys/chicken_blows_up.gif Oh, so it's okay for you to mouth off about me and then when I show you that you are doing the same thing you ignore me. Says a whole lot more than you think it does.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:10 pm
Montana--

If someone thinks a group of people should not have civil rights, that's not discriminating?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:13 pm
Lash,

You discriminate calling them towel heads! We are both in the wrong! Don't you understand that? It's not a matter of who is more wrong here, we are both guilty of being discriminatory in some form or another.

Lash, it's not what you think that hurts people. If you just think it, they don't even know. If I went out and actively lobbied against same sex marriage then yes, I'd definitely tell you I am discriminating and interfering with their civil rights. However, that is not what I am doing. I am only having a DISCUSSION.

It's our acting out things that make us discriminatory, Lash. It's what we do with it. You calling a Muslim a towel head offended them. It hurt their feelings.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:20 pm
Lash wrote:
Lash wrote:
The word towelhead doesn't withhold rights from anyone.

If anyone else wants to take issue with that point, I'll be glad to.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:22 pm
I tried.............................
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:32 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite,

Do me a favor, ok? I do not need you to interpret the Bible for me. I do not need you to tell me what I should and should not believe. I don't tell you what to believe or not to. I tell you what I believe. There is a lot more to the story about slavery in the Bible and you very well know it and your seeming slips in your memory that you know more than you are letting on is rather annoying right this second. We have delved into this discussion before and I'm sure you can go dig it up if you want to.

I am dealing with another issue right now so please, just let this rest for right now. You want to bring it up a bit later, fine. I'm there. Laughing

I shall post on this forum whenever and wherever I please. Do not assume that when I direct a post to you that it is only for your benefit. If you learn from it great, if not, someone else might.

To pretend that slavery as spoken of in the Bible was not as disagreeable as what was practiced in your state of Louisiana is pure bunk.

Leviticus 25:44 as spoken by God to Moses.

"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess, provided you BUY them from among the neighboring nations. You may also BUY them from among the aliens who reside with you and from their children who are born and reared in your land. Such slaves YOU MAY OWN AS CHATTELS, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, MAKING THEM PERPETUAL SLAVES. But you shall not lord it harshly over any of the Israelites, your kinsmen."
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:35 pm
Lash wrote:
Montana--

If someone thinks a group of people should not have civil rights, that's not discriminating?

This is a tough one for me, Lash. I hear what you're saying and I agree with you completely, but at the same time, I know where Mamma is coming from.
Her religion has certain beliefs and she takes her religion seriously, so I see things from her perspective as well.
I was raised as a catholic and even though I abandoned that religion, there was a time when I felt the same way as Momma, in the name of my religion.
It's the religious folks who created marriage, so obviously they want a say in the matter.
If it's against their religion, of course they are going to fight it because it goes against gods wishes.
I do think the churches should have the right to not marry gay couples because of their beliefs, but I also believe that religion has no place in the government and anyone should be able to marry whoever they want outside of the churches.
There should be no laws against gay marriage and I with feel this way until death do us part.
Momma Angel stated how she felt about it, but she also stated that she is not protesting and that these are simlpy her personal feelings.
I wish she felt differently about gay marriage, but I don't respect her any less for feeling differently than I do.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:46 pm
Mesquite,

I'm sorry. I didn't mean that to sound quite so harsh as it did. But, you know that I am not a Legalist when it comes to Mosaic Law and yet you seem to think I should adhere to it. I've tried to explain this to you but you have never accepted my views on the issue. So be it.

The fact is I DO NOT AGREE WITH SLAVERY! Yes, they had slaves in the Old Testament. I did research and even showed you the differences in the treating of slaves, etc. You discounted it. That's fine. You don't have to believe the way I believe. That's your business. I just don't like it at all when you try to tell me HOW I should believe. I do not do that to you.

I am just asking for the same respect in return. It's fine to share our differing opinions but, franky, Mesquite, you telling me HOW I should believe feels like your fist is planted firmly in my throat and shoving. Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 07:48 pm
Montana,

Thank you. You understand me extremely well. You helped me so much with that post because I was so frustrated at not being able to get Lash to understand that just because I don't agree with same sex marriage it does not mean I hate anyone or anything like that.

Your insight is right on! Like I said, girl YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 08:08 pm
Momma
You're very welcome :-D I care about both you and Lash very much and I hope I don't ever offend either one of you.
Lash and I go back several years and we have disagreed on several things, but always managed to keep our friendship intact. That's really cool :-D
I haven't known you for very long, Momma, but I instantly liked you because you have this huge heart and hey, what's not to like.
I don't agree with you on some things as well, but hey, that's why we all have a mind of our own.
I'm no angel and I've flown off the handle more than once when I feel very strongly about an issue and I admire you for keeping your cool in situations where I know I would have let my anger get the best of me.
I think you're an awesome gal and I feel the same about Lash :-D
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 08:15 pm
Thanx Montana. Actually, I hate this thing between me and Lash. I guess I just have some beliefs that she feels she cannot accept and that's ok. I still like her and I will always care about her.

You're not so bad yourself, ya know!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 09:56 pm
:-D
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 11:49 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Mesquite,

I'm sorry. I didn't mean that to sound quite so harsh as it did. But, you know that I am not a Legalist when it comes to Mosaic Law and yet you seem to think I should adhere to it. I've tried to explain this to you but you have never accepted my views on the issue. So be it.

I have never suggested that you should adhere to mosaic law. I have suggested that you are selective in which of God's laws you embrace.

Momma Angel wrote:
The fact is I DO NOT AGREE WITH SLAVERY! Yes, they had slaves in the Old Testament. I did research and even showed you the differences in the treating of slaves, etc. You discounted it. That's fine. You don't have to believe the way I believe. That's your business. I just don't like it at all when you try to tell me HOW I should believe. I do not do that to you.

I don't tell you or anybody what to believe. I tell you what is wrong with your arguments.

Leviticus 25:44 is quite clear and unambiguous.

"Slaves, male and female, you may indeed possess, provided you BUY them from among the neighboring nations. You may also BUY them from among the aliens who reside with you and from their children who are born and reared in your land. Such slaves YOU MAY OWN AS CHATTELS, and leave to your sons as their hereditary property, MAKING THEM PERPETUAL SLAVES. "

Momma Angel wrote:
I am just asking for the same respect in return. It's fine to share our differing opinions but, franky, Mesquite, you telling me HOW I should believe feels like your fist is planted firmly in my throat and shoving. Laughing

As I said before, I do not tell you what to believe. You have the right to believe whatever you want. At the same time I cannot respect a belief that discriminates and I will actively speak out against it.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:24 am
Momma are you one of those primitive baptists?

You keep comming in on this debate line, perhaps not mindful that it was posted in the legal section, and that it is a debate vis a vis history vs. change and not meant to be an emotional religious tirade on what your personal opinions are. It would appear that you are more concerned about what people do between the sheets than what their rights are.

It has been suggested that you want attention at any cost which could be construed as immature in that you think that you can gain approval on demand. Not so.

As a very liberal associate of mine once observed:

Sex is sex, whether it's with a man, woman or big dog.

So what is your problem. Your consistent badgering turns people off, not on and destroys your credibility.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:36 am
Seaglass,

With all due respect, I have not kept in mind that this particular thread was in legal. I had STOPPED posting in it awhile back but then something I said was quoted and I responded and the fact that it was in legal didn't enter into it.

So, I suppose if I start using derogatory words concerning yours and others beliefs, etc., perhaps that would be better? Sorry. I don't do that if I can at all restrain myself. I do tire of being called a fanatic, being told I have emotional tirads, uh, let's see..............you get the point I'm sure.

My problem is I have a right to my views just as you and anyone else does. I do not tell YOU that YOU are wrong or wrong for it. I am just asking for the same consideration.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 10:44 am
I must go water my palm trees. At least that is productive.
0 Replies