I Want My Italian Green Beans Back!

jespah

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 08:41 am
Really, I do. But Birdseye or whoever used to sell 'em seems to no longer be doing so, or at least not selling 'em to my local Star Market.

This is dismaying. We love Italian Green Beans. See: http://www.pictsweet.com/images/orientpan.jpg <-- the beans in that pic are Italian Green Beans.

http://www.allencanning.com/images/brnd_can2.jpg <-- haven't seen this brand in my store.

Anyway --- this is not just about Italian Green Beans. It's about foods you love that are no more, or have been reformulated and all the goodness is gone, or irretrievably changed.

Boo hoo, come mourn the demise of Italian Green Beans and their brethren in bygone comestible goodness.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,888 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 09:01 am
They sell Allens where I shop, but I know what you mean.

It seems every time we find a brand of a particular food we really really prefer over the rest.....they discontinue it.

There was this sliced brisket that my supermarket put out as a store brand that was incredibly lean and had a great sauce....gone. When I asked, they just said it wasn't selling and discontinued. Jesus, it was the best brisket we ever had!

Some of the foods are still sold, but just not at some locations.

There's a salad dressing sold at some locals, but not at the one I go to.....when I asked them to stock it there....it was the biggest hassle.

It's gotten to the point when I get something new that we really like, we'll say to each other...."Well, enjoy it, they're going to stop making it next month."

Meanwhile, stuff that is the same price but lower quality flies off the shelves.

Sheesh.

Since I know they do make Allen's, would it be worth your while to contact the company and have them send you a case?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 08:01 am
Hmmm maybe that's a solution.

We had also had issues with salad dressing but now we're making our own (to cut out the fat) so that's basically resolved. But I hate that. Dammit, why can't they just continue making what we like?

I hesitate to mention anything we really love, because you're right, the manufacturer will stop making it tomorrow, or the store will quit stocking it. Yes, there are other stores I could go to, but, I dunno, I'm kinda funny about this -- I don't enjoy spending my entire freakin' weekend going food shopping.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 08:09 am
Years ago, there used to be little cans of trout that were sold in flat tins, like sardines. It made a lovely lunch, and I always used to buy a lot of it. Then all of a sudden they were gone.........................and I have never seen them any more.

Another thing is chopped liver. My Publix sold containers of it that were just as good as grandma ever made. Now I find that they only have it intermittently. When I asked the manager, he said that sometimes a lot if it has to be thrown out, unsold, so they don't keep a lot of it on hand now! Sad

I asked my Publix to stock McCann's Irish Oatmeal. It is much more expensive than the common varieties, and I was probably the only customer that bought it. So now they don't carry it any more!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 01:46 pm
The supermarket where I shop has completely stopped stocking smoked oysters.

None at all.

Lots of tuna. Lots of Underwood Deviled Ham. Limited assortment of sardines.

We are Not Amused.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 06:17 pm
I will gladly trade smoked oysters for Italian green beans.

Perhaps we can do a food exchange, seeing as how the book exchange went a few years ago. There just seems to be something about some areas of the country -- food companies seem to think that no one in Lawrence, Kansas keeps kosher, etc., that kinda thing.

We saw kippers and the like in one of the last supermarket aisles. I'll take a look next weekend, see if there are any smoked oysters in there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 19 Feb, 2006 06:23 pm
Food snot that I am, I want my italian pancetta back. Haven't been able to buy it since I used to shop at Sorrento market in Culver City... yikes, almost ten years ago. American made pancetta does not taste the same, by a long shot.

I like Val Breso feta. The only place I see it is at Costco. Lucky I just renewed my long lapsed membership.

Oh, I like Humboldt Fog cheese by my old local goat cheese purveyor, forget the name, but it's on serious cheese lists. I bet I can't get it here...
and I miss my pacific northwest smoked salmon - not to mention my pacific northwest fresh wild salmon, weep.

Still, there are plenty of good items here to make up for some losses.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 10:30 am
Even national brands change according to location.

My parents moved from Western Pennsylvania to Colorado. Mueller's spaghetti had a different forumula and all pretzels came with much less salt.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 20 Feb, 2006 10:37 am
I can't find Polish Dill Pickles in the West. Kosher dills are Not The Same.

My local Grocery Outlet got some spears and some whole -- I bought all they had. Unfortunately there are only two pickles left (and them not long for the world)... I've asked the manager but he just chooses from what they have available at the warehouse.
0 Replies