Three Tricky Trivia Questions

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 12:16 pm
Bear in mind, folks, that these are all trick questions (except for the third one which is merely arcane).

1. In what movie did Bing Crosby first sing Irving Berlin's "White Christmas"?

2. In the Durango Kid western movies, what actor was actually the Durango Kid?

3. The late Steve MacQueen, before becoming a big screen super star, started his career in TV as Josh, the bounty hunter, on a show called Wanted: Dead or Alive. But that show itself was a spinoff from another TV western, a short lived one about a Texas Ranger. What was name of the program? For extra points, who was the star of it back in the days when Steve McQueen was a relative unknown?

Good luck to all you trivia buffs. You've got your research cut out for you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,876 • Replies: 24
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 03:33 pm
1 Holiday Inn?

2 Was it Charles Starrett?

3 need time to think
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 03:41 pm
Well, I've tracked down #3 -- Trackdown, with Robert Culp who later starred in I Spy. The episode with Steve McQueen was called "The Bounty Hunter."

http://www.poobala.com/trackandwanted.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 03:44 pm
Dogbone it, I just came in with Trackdown, too.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 03:45 pm
I'm always apprehensive about answering "trick" questions, Merry Andrew, but what the heck, I' ll give it a whirl?

1. Holiday Inn in 1942 was the first time Bing sang White Christmas in a movie.

2. Charles Starrett played in the Durango Kid movie series. He played Bill Lowry who was the Durango Kid, but nobody was supposed to know that except the members of the movie audience.

3. The pilot for "Wanted :Dead or Alive" first aired as an episode on the series, Trackdown in 1958. Robert Culp played Hoby Gilman in Trackdown. (I never saw that one, but I never missed Wanted: Dead or Alive.)
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 05:35 pm
Hoo-boy! We've got some on-the-ball trivialists on this site, all right. Nobody remembers Trackdown any more except for all of you terribly bright people. I'm proud of you. I hate to show my age but I actually remember the program. I even remember the "Bounty Hunter" episode, believe it or not.

On Q. #1, nine out of ten people would have said, why, White Christmas, of course. But that was a sequel to Holiday Inn after the song had already become a hit. Good for you. Edgar, Piffka, and Raggedy!

But, now... This is where the 'trick' comes in for Q. #2. Charles Starrett (born in Athol, MA, btw) did play Bill Lowry. And Bill Lowry was supposed to be the Durango Kid. But Starrett didn't do his own stunts. When the black suit and black mask went, a body double was actually the Durango Kid. At the time this body double was not just a stunt-man but an aspiring actor as well. Adept at riding and falling down very realistically, he had had some acting roles in Saturday matinee serials. He later went on to a sort of fame with a couple of TV action series of his own. Anybody want to guess?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 05:49 pm
Tim McCoy
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 06:00 pm
I cheated and looked it up, so I won't post the answer. That was a real surprise. Great piece of trivia, Merry Andrew.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 07:54 pm
Then you know it wasn't Tim McCoy, Raggedyaggie. Great detective work!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 07:58 pm
BTW, Piffka, where'd you find that site for the Trackdown answer? Great site.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 09:30 pm
I see - It was the Range Rider - Yancey Derringer.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 11:32 pm
MA - I dunno... I was a Steve McQueen fan ages ago, so I was interested in checking it out. We were talking about his TV shows on another forum last week... though this bit of trivia didn't come up! (We were trying to find out the name of his horse... but didn't.)

Ever see the movie, "The Tao of Steve"? Very humorous.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:49 am
Right you are, Edgar. Jock Mahoney aka The Range Rider and Yancey Derringer. That question generally stumps everybody.
You guys are good.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 04:58 am
Piffka: Steve McQueen's horse on Wanted: Dead or Alive was Ringo. (I got this info from "The Films of Steve McQueen" by Casey St. Charnes.) McQueen hated horses and endured an extensive period of training with Ringo prior to the show's debut.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 08:01 am
Piffka, I loved The Tao of Steve! Excellent little movie.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 08:46 am
RaggedyA -- Now how could he have hated horses???

I'm glad you liked that movie, too, macsm. Wink It was different from what I expected! My teens told me about it and encouraged me to watch it.

Hmmm, have just spent a half hour visiting all the Steve McQ image sites on Google. I never knew he was born on my daughter's birthday! (Or she on his...) Here's a photo and a quote from him which I like.

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
(Me, too!)

http://www.mesothel.com/images/McQueen.jpg
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 09:14 am
If you are into trick trivia questions, how about these:

1. What rank did General Custer hold at the time of his death?

2. Where was the battle of Bunker Hill fought? (You Bostonians should have no trouble with this)

3. Who cut Samson's hair?

4. What weapon did David use to kill Goliath?

5. Where were the Salem Witchcraft trials held?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 12:02 pm
Piffka: I think McQueen just needed a little training and owed a lot to Ringo when he rode off into the sunset in his later Westerns. Here's Ringo:
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:O6cVcsSZP_EC:members.tripod.com/~stvmcqueen/RingoHorse2.jpg
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:56 pm
But, but... he's so small & plastic looking!!!
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:48 pm
The camera adds 1,500 lbs.
0 Replies