# 68 Wildclickers arranging a ball

danon5

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 12:00 pm
If it's Wednesday - I must still be clicking on.......

All clicked this humpday.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 12:43 pm
Here are some factoids I gleaned from the "mental floss" newsletter I receive:

* How did the tradition of Rex, the king of Mardi Gras, begin?

Russia's Grand Duke Alexis, the son of Emperor Alexander II, was at the tail end of a U.S. visit in 1872 when he visited New Orleans just in time for Mardi Gras. A group known as "The Krewe of Rex" formed to welcome the Grand Duke, and since the United States had no royalty of its own, the krewe proclaimed one of its members "king" in order to hold a special royal reception for Alexis. A new "king" was chosen the following year, and the tradition still continues to this day.

* And the word "krewe" is a Mardi Gras original?

Yes. Although it means the same as C-R-E-W, it's spelled K-R-E-W-E. These krewes began forming in the 1850s to bring some organization to the city's Mardi Gras events. Various krewes worked together to coordinate parties, concerts, and even the parades that are the focal points of the celebration. For the most part, these krewes are secretive organizations that resemble fraternal orders in many ways. They usually limit their memberships to the offspring of previous members and select other specially-invited individuals.

Off to click!
and Happy Hump-Day!
0 Replies

ul

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 01:07 pm
Another piece to the carnival mosaic. Thanks.

In Germany, in the Rhineland, there are so called Karneval Gilden- a group of people organizing parades and parties. Here you can often find also very ironical speeches about politics and social changes. Dressed as a jester the speaker holds the mirror in which the zeitgeist is reflected.

Now I am thinking of Brazil- a carnival in warmer temperatures.
There too are societies preparing the event: Samba schools. I once visited one and learned how much these groups do to keep kids off drugs and crime.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Feb, 2006 06:20 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 290 friends have supported 2,249,419.3 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 99,965.8 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 290 friends have supported: (99,965.8)

American Prairie habitat supported: 48,174.3 square feet.
You have supported: (11,611.4)
Your 290 friends have supported: (36,563.0)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,101,279.2 square feet.
You have supported: (168,824.3)
Your 290 friends have supported: (1,932,454.9)

~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1380 51.637 acres
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:11 am
Thanks dev and ul for the great info..... I often wondered about the spelling of Krewe. And, oh my goodness, I've always dreamt of visiting Brazil - it would be so special at carnival time.

dreamily clicking on.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 09:47 am
http://www.kostuem.at/img/gal_fasch.jpg

http://www.kostuem.at/img/pop_fasching_09.jpg

http://www.kostuem.at/img/pop_hist_13.jpg

Choosing a Fasching dress-
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 11:53 am
Hi wildclickers!

Such good info! Thanks everyone!

ul, cool photos! The tree antler hat an interesting accessory Shocked

Brazil Canival at the Rainforest:

http://www.colorfotos.com.br/rio_de/fotosrio/au0040f.jpg

Rio

http://www.colorfotos.com.br/rio_de/fotosrio/au0032f.jpg
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:25 pm
Carnaval in Brazil

Prior to 1840, the streets of Brazilian towns ran riot during the three-day period leading up to Ash Wednesday with people in masks hurling stink bombs and squirting each other with flour and strong-smelling liquids; even arson was a form of entertainment. In 1840, the Italian wife of a Rio de Janeiro hotel owner changed the carnival celebration forever by sending out invitations, hiring musicians, importing streamers and confetti, and giving a lavish masked ball. In a few years the masked ball became the fashion and the wild pranks played on the streets disappeared. This was the beginning of the "Baile de Carnaval" that dominates much of the festivities in Southern Brazil. In Northern Brazil, in cities like Salvador and Recife, the main focus is the Street carnaval (Carnaval de Rua) where thousands of people will take to the street to follow the bands (called "trio Electricos") playing samba and traditional Carnaval songs. Yes, just like we have Christmas songs, Brazil has a whole range of Carnaval Sambas that everybody knows. Rio de Janeiro also has some street Carnaval (Not counting the Sambodromo parade), but not anywhere to the extent that the Northeast has.
Rio de Janeiro has the biggest and best known pre-Lenten carnival in the world - its most colorful event is the Samba School Parade. The samba schools taking part in the parade in a street built special for this. Each school has about three to five thousand participants - who are overwhelmingly poor people from the city's sprawling suburbs (Copacabana or Leblom do not have in big samba schools!). Every carnival Rio's samba schools compete with each other and are judged on every aspect of their presentation by a jury. Each samba school must base its effort around a central theme. Sometimes the theme is an historical event or personality. Other times, it is a story or legend from Brazilian literature, a historical theme or even political satire. The samba song must recount or develop it, and the huge floats must detail the theme in depth.

PÃO DE QUEIJO ORIGIN

Pão de Queijo means in Portuguese Bread of cheese.

However in first days of Pao de Queijo had no cheese in it.

Everything started back in the years 1600's when the slaves of our Minas Gerais state were making Manioc Flour to the rich farmland owners. That was pretty much the time Feijoada was invented as well.

But going back to the Pãa de Queijo history, the slaves used to crop manioc (yucca root), peel them off, finely grate them, and soak them in a big wood bowl (gamela) with plenty of water. So they wash and drained this grated manioc, then spread this manioc on a tiled floor outdoors and let it dry under the sun.

Yucca Root

When dried, they scraped this manioc into big bags and stored them for food consumption throughout the year.

This was a noble food prepared to the farmland owners. Therefore slaves were not supposed to eat them. Even today this manioc flour is largely used in Brazilian cuisine. In our site we can see a recipe of Tutu (creamed beans) prepared with manioc flour, and also it is used to prepare the Farofa (a seasoned manioc flour). I've seen some people here say it tastes like beach sand. But don't be fooled, a well prepared Farofa with manioc flour is a "Farmland owner's exclusive food!".

OK. But our hard working slaves end it up with a fine white powder left in the big wood bowls after taking out the manic flour. This was the manioc starch that dried out in the "gamelas" after preparing the manioc flour. The manioc flour had the starch washed out that's why the sandy appearance.

So the slaves managed to scrape this white starch off the gamelas, make small balls and bake them. This manioc starch balls had neither cheese nor milk in it, just plain manioc starch. These baked balls became popular among the slaves and rich people just discarded this type of food.

More than 200 years latter, cattle farms became widespread in Brazil and slaves (that were being freed by that time) gained access to better foods such as milk and cheese. So they began to increment the baked balls with milk and ultimately cheese!

When Brazil had no more slaves, their culture began to spread among the rest of the population. And Pão de Queijo became popular in Minas Gerais.

Today, in every house you visit in Minas, they will prepare for you a fresh brewed coffee with Pão de Queijo.

The manioc starch latter got the name of "Polvilho" and now we have two types of "Polvilho". Sweet polvilho that is made in the same way our ancestors slaves used to do: wash out grated manioc and dry the milky liquid in a large open tiled floor, or big wood bowls.

The second type is the Sour Polvilho. This one is made by letting the germs in the wood bowl to ferment the milky liquid before putting it to dry.

The sour polvilho makes a Pao de Queijo a little more acid and bigger. The prepared mix you buy is made with sour polvilho.

During the slavery times in Brazil, the Africans incorporated old traditions they brought from Africa with the culture they developed in the new country Brazil.

Their culture blended in our Brazilian culture and we are very proud of it. Today people have a hard time to remember if a specific tradition or food is from African slaves origin or not. Food such as the Chicken Ximxim, vatapa, canjica, cocada, Feijoada and Pão de Queijo are better known by the geographic location they exist than by ethnic origin. And the same I can say about the martial art Capoeira and the samba music. They are just Brazilian, there is no racial segregation in my loved country Brazil.

source - cookbrazil
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 12:46 pm
so....i tried to ask this on the previous thread, but got no reply. i try to click every day, and i guess it's not that important, but: if i go through the link provided on the first page, will it automatically register my click as part of the wildclickers? i am registered under my name and though i can see the ATK57 (or whatnot) group on the care2 website, i don't know if i'm clicking as a part of it, or separately. if there's anything i need to do to, other than going in through the link on the first page, i'd appreciate the info.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 01:25 pm
Thanks Stradee.
Next to the food- a glass of Caipirinha is nice too. Especially in carnaval.

No antlers- Embarrassed
this year a veggie- a carrot. :wink:

Good to see you dag,
as far as I know the link on the first page will register your click to the Aktbird account.

I am not sure if your account is part of the group. If you opened it through the link on this thread I think you are.
ehBeth knows best.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:19 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 290 friends have supported 2,251,011.5 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 100,082.9 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 290 friends have supported: (100,082.9)

American Prairie habitat supported: 48,197.7 square feet.
You have supported: (11,611.4)
Your 290 friends have supported: (36,586.4)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,102,730.8 square feet.
You have supported: (168,847.7)
Your 290 friends have supported: (1,933,883.1)

~~~~~~~~~

dag, after I'm done this round of 'clicking' and reporting, I'll go back into the aktbird57 account and send you an email (from the account) telling you how many clicks you've got with your account there.

I can do that for a few days so you can see how you're doing.

Are you logging in each day when you click?

~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1381 51.673 acres
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:19 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
so....i tried to ask this on the previous thread, but got no reply. i try to click every day, and i guess it's not that important, but: if i go through the link provided on the first page, will it automatically register my click as part of the wildclickers? i am registered under my name and though i can see the ATK57 (or whatnot) group on the care2 website, i don't know if i'm clicking as a part of it, or separately. if there's anything i need to do to, other than going in through the link on the first page, i'd appreciate the info.

dag, each time you click, you save a few feet of rainforest. That's a good thing.

ehBeth can give you more information regarding aktbirds. Very Happy
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:21 pm
beth, i am always logged in, the website remembers me. but i registered years ago, before i even knew of a2k, so i can't imagine it would automatically know i'm a wildclicker... unless it somehow works through that link on the first page automatically or whatnot.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:21 pm
oops, simultaneous postings
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:22 pm
dag - I've sent an email to the e-ddress you registered your wildclicking account through.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:24 pm
seems that i have to become a 'friend'... hmmm, off to explore.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:26 pm
marubutor? i think that's long out of order...
just tell me what the group's name is? wildclickers or aktbird57? i didn't find either under 'environment'... should i be looking somewhere else?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:33 pm
ok, i became a 'friend' somehow. apparently, aktbird is not a group, but a person, that's why i couldn't find it :-) i hope that will do the trick.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:34 pm
dag - you were already a friend - you joined the team a coupla weeks ago - there are two clicks attached to that particular account
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2006 05:42 pm
ah, so all should be well then.... i hope.
0 Replies