Sure Fire Dialogue

Letty

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 08:38 am
There are always lines of dialogue from formulaic movies that one may hear with dependability, i.e. Westerns: "We'll Head 'em off at the pass."

What "sure fire dialogue" can you contribute to current movies, or do such lines of predictability still exist?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,831 • Replies: 56
No top replies

Diane

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 02:21 pm
Letty, do you remember Gunsmoke? Miss Kitty always said, "Be careful, Matt," as he walked out the door to get the bad guy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 02:52 pm
"I dont like the term blackmail, I prefer monetary persuasion"

"You wait here, Ill check on ahead"

"...and dont call me Shirley"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 05:58 pm
Good grief...Just when I was going to say, "Thanks, I needed that." the plane took a nose dive...

Farmer, Diane...Definitely remember Mister Dillon and the macho guys who forged ahead as the buffer to all mankind Laughing

"Here's lookin' at you, kid,"
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 07:07 pm
Yes, Letty, weren't they manly?

How about "You farging bastages?"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 07:34 pm
Diane, Laughing

Disaster movies: Let's just ride it out.
0 Replies

dishpan

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 04:14 am
I don't know about the sure fire dialogue, but I have noticed the inclusion of what I call "the computer work sequence" over the last few years. This is the (often) MTV-like scene where the protagonist of the film has to use the computer the find some information that is hidden, or unlock the secret encryption to the satellite uplink, or any number of plot related things. One of my favorite examples is Minority Report where Tom Cruise is shown figuring out how to stop the future crime. A movie simply filled with computer work sequences is the oft overlooked Sneakers.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 05:45 am
Hey, dishpan. Didn't see Minority Report, but did see Sneakers. I guess you could say that many of these type movies always have some dialogue that's predictable. "We're in" comes to mind. Smile
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 12:04 pm
Welcome dishpan!

A sentence that has become common in everyday use is, "Todo, we're not in Kansas anymore."
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 12:10 pm
How about this chestnut from just about every Western movie: Just as the hero and his sidekick, in search of the bad guys, enter a new piece of scenery: "It's quiet. Maybe a little TOO quiet..."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 12:14 pm
Diane, we sure aren't in Kansas any more. Smile

Science Fiction movies:

"Warp speed!"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 12:18 pm
d'ar, love it! Laughing

Jungle movies:

" The men refuse to go into the jungle, sir. They say evil spirits lurk there."
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:04 pm
Here's another one from Westerns, or just about any movie where gun play is a major element. It's a variant on one or two others that have been posted here:

"I'm going in. You cover for me..."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 01:35 pm
heh! heh!

Musicals: "Hey, my dad's got an old barn we can use, and I know a great band that will play for nothing just to help us out."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:38 pm
"Come on in. My husband won't be home for hours."
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:42 pm
My favorite is when sweetheart's just been killed in the San Francisco earthquake, Chicago fire, plane crash, you name it.

"You've got to be brave. He'd want you to go on. You're not singing for the crowd out there. You're singing it for him. He can hear you. That's what he'd want you to do." (How many times have we heard that one ?- and I love it everytime. (lol))
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 02:59 pm
Dishpan: One of the computer screens in SNEAKERS that supposedly shows a complicated alarm system or somesuch, is actually a map of the London Underground subway system.
0 Replies

dishpan

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 04:26 pm
Equus wrote:
Dishpan: One of the computer screens in SNEAKERS that supposedly shows a complicated alarm system or somesuch, is actually a map of the London Underground subway system.

Now there's another sidebar topic for you: how many instances of the above (see quote) have you seen? Little inside jokes maybe or just sketchy set goof-offs? I like the scene in 2001 where the investigator is on his way to the moon to check out the monolith and he is stymied by the multitide of directions concerning how to use the zero-gravity toilet!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 07:23 pm
Raggedy, So Sure fire is not a liability, is it? Still didn't shed one tear over "An Affair to Remember" Laughing

Dish, Your comment reminds me of Usher II by Ray Bradbury Must have slept through the part to which you refer...

and thus spake Letty.

Goodnight-----

from Florida
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 07:46 pm
Oh Letty, it's too early for bed!!

I love Jean Luc Picard when he says, "Engage," or, "Make it so." Since I have a thing for Jean Luc, anything he says makes me all tingly. LOL

All these lines are bringing back so many memories and quite a few laughs.
0 Replies