A2k extremely slow, or unavailable at certain times.

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:25 pm
A2k has always had a slow time....I only posted because it has lately become way more extreme, and I thought it might be something Craven might like to know.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2006 10:32 pm
I think its pretty a much an issue specific to A2K's servers, Msolga ... but thats just a guess. If it is a resolvable A2K-specific issue, I'm fairly confident CdK already has the hamsters working on it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:03 am
just for the record I just experienced a slow down lasted about 5- 15 mins. 4.45 pm aust time. 10.45 board time. couldnt change the page i was viewing and get to "new posts. had a quick look at other forums in aust and no problems.

no need to reply timber I just thought it may help to have a time.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 12:16 am
My guess is it's got something to do with the system's memory capacity or processing capacity, because I've had it hit a couple times while I've been looking at new posts to topics I follow, and the most recent posts, and when it finally let's me do something again, a few minutes later, the "New Posts" section, which had thirty or forty or more recent posts, is now down to the most recent one or two (or none). Like the system took all it could take. So maybe we're just getting too chatty for our own good here. Thank god Mortkat seems to have been banned again. Now if we could just train a couple others in concision. You go, Deb, take all the space you want.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 05:50 am
Thanks, timber.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 05:51 am
dlowan wrote:
A2k has always had a slow time....I only posted because it has lately become way more extreme, and I thought it might be something Craven might like to know.

Yes, it has become more extreme.
But right now it's gone all zippy again! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:11 am
Yes, it all happened earlier tonight.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:15 am
It happens here every morning. Extremely slow and sometimes cannot connect to A2K.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:26 am
It's my understanding that there is a scheduled maintenance/refresh every day, but I believe it's a little earlier than that, about 2 or 3 AM Eastern Standard Time.

But the time you're talking about, dlowan, is 5:30 AM - 7:30 AM Eastern Standard, so it may be due to increased traffic as the US starts waking up and posting or posting before getting down to business at work.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:32 am
It fits my time table, Jespah, for the maintenance time.

2:00 or 3: AM EST is 8:00 or 9:00 AM CET when I connect to A2K.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:38 am
Ill log on anytime between 6:30 and 7:30 AM and , if I see that my inbox hasnt been loaded since the previous evening, I figger its break time for the little rats.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:45 am
HAMSTERS!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:47 am
Good. I thought it was just me.

New York 4:30 (which is when I rise) , I get Server Not Found messages or the page just sits on download while I eat. I've stopped trying to log on early.

J
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 06:57 am
I seem to recall on Abuzz, when it was extremely slow or sometimes offline, various members would post, "It would not take much to fix it. If they would let me at it I would fix it for free, even."

Apparently, it's no simple task to keep a site like this going.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 07:41 am
This happened here in New Mexico the other early morning when I found myself wide awake sometime around 2 a.m. That would fit with Farmerman's time frame..

It seemed to last about an hour, with me being able to get logged on once in a while, but mostly getting Server not Found typed page. So I whiled away the wee hour with Google.com.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 07:46 am
I attributed it to hamster nest making.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 11:16 am
Set's commented on it being problemmatic in the 5 - 7 a.m. EST zone.
0 Replies

username

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 11:54 am
The new posts list just got truncated again, about ten minutes ago (back up at 12:42 EST), and that seems to be when I have trouble getting thru. But I was getting lunch then, so I don't know.. Did anyone have trouble shortly before that?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 12:35 am
A few fresh glitches to report:

This afternoon around 4 pm I was unable to access some threads, via new posts. Got to the tread, but there was nothing but a pale blue page. No text. That seems to have cleared up now.

And this one:

Tried to access The Cat Room & got this message via the hamsters:

Hamster 8756434 reports - No posts exist for this topic

It's been that way for a few hours now.

Aw! It's enough to make a cat twitch!

Sad
0 Replies

username

Reply Sat 18 Feb, 2006 12:46 am
olga: I think that message happens when someone makes a post that hits the capacity for a page--the software for some reason thinks it starts a new page when in fact it's the last post on the previous page, so if for example it says there are five pages in the topic and you click on page 5 to open that, it'll sometimes give you the message because it's in fact put the latest post at the bottom of page 4. So to get it to open you've got to go back and tell it to open page 4, and it'll open. Then the next time someone posts to the topic it'll put that post and the previous one on page 5. I reread that, and I got really convoluted. Does it make sense. The first time I got caught by that message after I'd made a post, I thought I'd somehow caused the entire topic to delete, and was horribly quitely embarrassed for a couple hours til someone else posted and it stopped giving that message.
0 Replies