Do You Do It Yourself or Call a Professional at Home?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 06:48 pm
I have no problems with anybody messing in my garden. My wife and son doesn't like dirty hands. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2003 07:55 pm
LOL Beth, I hear that. Anyone messes with my yard is in trouble!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 04:20 am
DIY ?? And damage my prefect, manicured nails ??? <shocked look>
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 09:30 pm
LOL Gautam.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 10:04 pm
Hey, last night I defragged the computer AND fixed my daughter's electric toothbrush AT THE SAME TIME!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 10:12 pm
My husband is really handy at fixing machinery. I've still got the same blow dryer I bought 23 years ago...and it works! Every time it breaks I say I'll buy a new one, and he insists it's just a 50 cent part from Radio Shack and fixes it.

However, there is one catch that really bugs me.

Every time he takes something apart and puts it back together, there are always parts left over. This makes me nervous as hell. I figure as cheaply as things are made these days, no manufacturer would put something in there that wasn't absolutely necessary. But the damn machines always work fine without them. He has a whole box of parts now, and says one day he's going to make something out of all of them.

But the funniest thing is when I ask him what was wrong with the machine, and he says, "Too many parts!"
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 08:34 am
I would love to see what he makes out of the spare parts.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 08:46 am
Why pay a professional to do it right when I can botch it myself?

(But, then, I rent, and I consider it all practice for when it's my house and I actually care -- but can't afford professionals.)
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 09:28 am
Hmmm. It depends upon the job in my case. I used to do all of it myself but I'm getting to where I do less and less. Cars are way to much of a hassle nowadays. I still do all the "emergency" repairs around the house and minor things. I had replaced the furnace and roof on one of my previous houses myself but I doubt I'd try to tackle that on my own again.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2003 01:06 pm
"Do You Do It Yourself or Call a Professional at Home?"

Well, truth be told I don't do it as much as I'd like.

I'm too proud to call a professional.

But . . .

I don't really want to do it myself.

So . . .

guess I'd better find me a girlfriend.
0 Replies

london

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 04:09 pm
I do most DIY myself as I hate spending unnecsseraly. BUT, I have two dislikes in life, one is hieghts and the other is spiders, while once painted the apex of the roof, standing very precariously at the top of the ladder painting away, a HUGE spider crawled out of the woodwork. It was the devil of the deep blue sea, either fall off the ladder or stand face to face with a bloody big spider. needless to say, i don't go on the roof anymore.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 09:54 pm
London, yes, spiders, and in my case, bees. I have been training myself to deal with spiders and bees, but heights are a problem. My exhub and I did most of our house fixing, and remodelled twice in twenty years. At one point I did a remake of the garage into a painting studio - my ex was soooo tired of doing the heavier construction (and not keeping up with his writing), and I still wanted a studio. So I did it, including demo and putting up stud walls and windows and doors and a few beams, but...I couldn't get myself up on the roof, nosiree bob. I also do call in an electrician, electricity is magic. No one, no one, can tamper with me'garden, unless they promise to just weed. No pruning allowed by others with their happy shears..

Now, though, I have been hit by the Lazies. Tomorrow, tomorrow...tomorrow will be a fine time....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 09:55 pm
Um, demo is fun!!!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 10:51 pm
P.S. After four times on the roof, my husband has bitten the bullet, and called in a professional roofer. Whew! I don't think that I could have gone through watching him on the roof again.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 11:39 pm
Glad to hear it Phoenix. I was starting to get worried about that boy myself ;-)
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 5 May, 2003 11:46 pm
London
Spiders and heights are my fears as well. I think I am equally afraid of both.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 6 May, 2003 08:55 am
Demo is very, very fun.
0 Replies