Human Being is traded for a Cartoon.

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:07 pm
Al Michaels jumps to NBC Sports
Broadcaster to join Madden on Sunday nights

NEW YORK (AP) -- Al Michaels was traded from ABC to NBC for a cartoon bunny, four rounds of golf and Olympic highlights.

The rights to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit, a bunny created by Walt Disney in the 1920s before he invented Mickey Mouse, were transferred from NBC Universal to The Walt Disney Co. as part of the agreement to release the broadcaster from his contract with ABC and ESPN.

"As the forerunner to Mickey Mouse and an important part of Walt Disney's creative legacy, the fun and mischievous Oswald is back where he belongs, at the home of his creator and among the stable of beloved characters created by Walt himself," Disney president Robert Iger said after Thursday's announcement.

Michaels had been with ABC for three decades and had been the play-by-play announcer for Monday Night Football for the past 20 years.

"Oswald is definitely worth more than a fourth-round draft choice," Michaels said, referring to what the Kansas City Chiefs gave the New York Jets as compensation for releasing coach Herm Edwards from his contract. "I'm going to be a trivia answer someday."

http://www.disneyarchief.nl/img/oswald.jpg............http://www.abcmedianet.com/showcontent/sports/commentators/i/michaels.jpg
Oswald......................................................Michaels

(complete article)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 598 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:09 pm
I was hoping Michaels would have something witty to say about it. He did. I heard this reported with a straight face on ESPN this morning. At least I thought it was a straight face; it was half awake...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:14 pm
to sweeten the deal, i hear NBC is gonna throw in a Puppet to be named later...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:17 pm
All kidding aside, how absurd is it that sports news now includes info about Walt Disney's ancient business dealings because the Disney Corp. owns ABC and ESPN. I don't know whether to laugh or cry...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:29 pm
yeah, par for the course these days...

its been a slow sports week up here.

the other day the front page story was about how a new building behind Fenway is gonna block the wind, thus lowering the number of homers...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:34 pm
Great fodder for the hot stove league!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 08:15 am
According to the Ultimate Book of Sports Lists, by Andrew Postman, page 217, "In January of 1983, Tom Martin of the Western Hockey League's Seattle Breakers was traded to Victoria for a team bus. "I didn't think that much about it at the time," said Martin. "But it was a real nice bus."
0 Replies