Pink Panther...........rotten remake

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 07:59 am
Why do film makers or actors insist on rehashing old movies? Steve Martin used to be funny, many years ago. Now he is embarrassing, nothing more.
It's pretty well everything a 10-year-old wants in a movie. For accompanying adults? Hard cheese.

For reasons that remain murky, although we'll take a wild guess and suggest that money is involved, somebody somewhere felt it was time for a do-over on the original Pink Panther comedies.

Those little slivers of inspired comedy were the work of filmmaker Blake Edwards and actor Peter Sellers, but that was then, and this is now.

Now is crap.

The Steve Martin version of The Pink Panther is a wooden, embarrassing, paint-by-numbers comedy involving pratfalls and obvious visual humour. The story is dull, the storytelling more so.

http://winnipegsun.com/Entertainment/Movies/2006/02/10/1435134-sun.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,656 • Replies: 23
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:09 am
Why not put quotes in the text. Here I thought you were giving us your opinion, rather, its some critics own spin.

I will give you such a bimp.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:10 am
I love Steve Martin tho I am dissapointed he makes remakes.
That Sgt Bilko film he did, why call it Sgt Bilko when it could have been just a Bilko style comedy.
How can anybody be Peter Sellers!!Its ridiculous that he is trying to copy such an iconic character and actor.
Again why not just do a funny detective film.
Remakes usually make people automatically think they are gona be crud, why add fuel to the fire.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:16 am
I figured it would run along the lines of abysmal. In one of the commercials for the film, Martin is shown falling and in the clip from the film he has that big idiotic 'this is so funny' grin on his idiot face. No fear (or acted fear) which is what Sellers would have offered. There should be something other than a moronic grin on the face when falling. The fact of the matter is that Steve Martin has gone steadily down hill in his acting ability and now just mugs for the camera all the time with no concern or regard to what his facial expression should be in relationship to what is happening. I had no real intention of seeing this film anyway, since I do not want to spoil fond memories of how superbly Peter Sellers handled the role of Clouseau, your review confirms my original intents were right.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:36 am
I never thought Steve Martin ws funny ever, and the trailers for this remake look like they suck.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:14 am
It is my opinion that Hollywood is running out of ideas and resorts to copying foreign films for many years now. Some qualified people seem to have the same opinion.

The US public is not crazy about subtitles and foreign films in general. So the copycat movies are making enough money, even if they are inferior.

Profit is all that counts; quality is optional.
With its seemingly complete absence of original ideas, it's no surprise to see Hollywood harvesting scenarios from overseas. After all, there has to come a certain point in time when they've exhausted every comic book, video game, TV show, and action movie franchise.

http://www.indiewire.com/biz/biz_020506_WorldCine6.html
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:18 am
He's an extremely intelligent man. I can't figure out why he's focusing on doing only remakes. What's his strategy?

I also don't get the 'running out of ideas'. How do you run out of ideas for movies? Some of the simplest concepts have produced wonderful movies. "Kramer vs. Kramer" comes to mind.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:27 am
26% on the Rotten Tomato meter:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pink_panther/

Not good.

I certainly will not have it on my list for the multiplex. Rather see "The 40 Year Old Virgin" again.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:34 am
Kramer vs Kramer was made in 1979.

That's for all the folks here who weren't born yet.

I am supposed to go see Pink Panther or Firewall Firewall with Harrison Ford.

I mean Harrison Ford is in the movie Firewall, not that I am going to the movies with Harrison Ford unless he wants to go with me and then he can just call my cell. He has my number, but I am not going to stand around on the corner of 42nd and Eighth in the freezing cold waiting for another angry actor to show up.

Joe(perhaps I've said too much)Nation
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:38 am
I think they are trying to make more family orientated films so all the family can see them , hence it will make more money.

I also think Steve Martin is intelligent.Id love to see actors who are comedians get into more serious roles.The contrast would be amazing and we'd be able to see thy can do more than pratt falls.
I think he would be great in a romantic or dramatic film rather than comedy.I stumbled across a Steve Martin film late one night were he was playing a serious rol(something about gold coins)he was fanatastic.
Just look at Robin Williams in Dead Poets Society/Bicentenial man/Seize the day/The Fisher King.The tortured funny guy will tug at everybodies heartstrings.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 11:27 am
Can't leave out Robin Williams in his early great role "Moscow on the Hudson."

Can't help feeling that Martin is on an ego trip with this one. While a good comedian and occassionally good actor, he is no Peter Sellers.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 02:31 pm
This won't be the first "bad" Pink Panther film
There have been three others;
Inspector Clouseau (1968) starred Alan Arkin
Curse of the Pink Panther (1983) starred Ted Wass
Son of the Pink Panther (1993) starred Roberto Benigni
As far as Steve Martin's recent films go, I really liked Shop Girl.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 03:12 pm
I loved the old Pink Panther movies, but when I introduced
them to my 10 year old, she wasn't too enthusiastic about
them. Now she's seen a trailer of the remake and she's
dying to see it.

So, maybe it is indeed for a younger audience .

One remake I won't see for sure is Casablanca.
I can't possibly imagine that the mediocre actors they've
chosen, will make this classic more enjoyable.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 04:50 pm
Are they remaking Casablanca? With who???
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 10:04 am
The critics are panning this film mercilessly. They point out Martin's poorly done French accent and that he was basically attempting to ape Peter Sellers. Kevin Kline wasn't treated very well, either. I'm viewing this thread as a public service announcement! Save your money.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 11:45 am
That's what happens to actors who are surrounded by 'yes men'.
They need some true friends who can tell them that their good days are long gone.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 11:51 am
Lightwizard wrote:

Can't help feeling that Martin is on an ego trip with this one. While a good comedian and occassionally good actor, he is no Peter Sellers.

Yes. I don't want to cloud my Pink Panther glow with seeing even the trailers to this movie.

Some things, you just don't mess with.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 11:52 am
No. Their good days are not necessarily 'long gone' as detano says. His career isn't over or anywhere near it. He just needs to select new material. In his case both literally and figuratively.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 05:46 am
Does Steve Martin play a serious role in Shopgirl?
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 07:25 am
What do these numbers prove? Either the US public has no taste, or the hype has succeeded in making a profit for a lousy movie.
Pink Panther tops US box office

13 Feb 2006
A new film version of The Pink Panther has topped the US box office, making $21.7m in its opening weekend.

The film stars comic actor Steve Martin as the bungling detective Inspector Clouseau.

Martin has stressed that the film is not a remake of the classic 1963 work of the same name starring Peter Sellers.

http://www.channel4.com/news/content/news-storypage.jsp?id=312270
0 Replies