Worst movie title ever

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:08 am
And let's not forget about 'Baby...Secret of the Lost Legend'
by Mark Caro
Chicago Tribune (reg. req'd)

Here's a guess: More people saw Tommy Lee Jones' new movie "The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" last weekend than actually pronounced its complete title.

"The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" - just rolls off the tongue, no?

We seem to have entered a golden era of woeful movie titles. Variety columnist Timothy M. Gray recently complained about such 2005 titles as "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants," "The Dying Gaul," "The World's Fastest Indian," "The Upside of Anger," "The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio" and "Melquiades Estrada."

In his Entertainment Weekly column last month, Stephen King asked, "Is `The Squid and the Whale' the worst movie title of all time, or is it still a tie between `Chu Chu and the Philly Flash' and `Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things'?"

To answer King's question, you have to define what makes a terrible title.

"The Squid and the Whale" may be awkward and strange for an `80s divorce tale, but at least you remember it.

There's also a yet-to-be-released Josh Hartnett autism drama titled "Mozart and the Whale." Is that any better?

To me, the worst titles are the ones that make no impression at all, like Jones' previous movie, "Man of the House," or "The Man" (last year's Samuel L. Jackson-Eugene Levy would-be comedy). Does the 2005 title "A Lot Like Love" evoke vivid memories? (It was an Ashton Kutcher-Amanda Peet romance.)

Did Kutcher also star in "Just Friends," "Just Married," "Just Like Heaven" or "Kingdom of Heaven"? (The second one.)

I'm convinced that a horrid 1991 Dan Aykroyd-Demi Moore comedy, originally titled "Valkenvania," was renamed "Nothing But Trouble" so that "Valkenvania" wouldn't become a bad punch line like "Ishtar." Who would remember "Nothing But Trouble"?

Moore also co-starred in a 1995 movie that switched from an unattractive title, "The Gaslight Addition," to an eternally bland one, "Now and Then," which came out a year earlier than the Meryl Streep/Liam Neeson thriller "Before and After."

"Must Love Dogs" struck me as a crummy title because the name was its own negative review ("You must love dogs to enjoy this one!"). The same goes for the upcoming Sarah Jessica Parker-Matthew McConaughey comedy "Failure To Launch."

I also can't defend "The Chumscrubber."

So what's the worst title ever?

Is it the ridiculously clumsy "The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill, But Came Down a Mountain" or the inexplicably punctuated "Face/Off"?

Is it one of those annoying compound titles such "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl" or the gloriously redundant "Die Hard 2: Die Harder" or "The Neverending Story II: The Next Chapter"?

Is it one of those sound-effects titles such as "SSSSSSS" or "Phfffft!"? (The latter is a 1954 Jack Lemmon-Judy Holliday comedy, by the way.)

Or does another one bug you more?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
OK, so what do you think is the worst movie title ever?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,403 • Replies: 59
No top replies

material girl

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:58 am
How about I (symbol for a heart)Huckabees.
Do you say 'I heart huckabees' or I love huckaabees'?

I have never said either as I never went to see it.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:07 am
By using the title "Booty Call" I think you eliminate a large portion of the movie going population.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 12:25 pm
One of the worst movie titles has to be Ballistic: Ecks v. Sever. Are we supposed to know who Ecks and Sever are? Are we supposed to care? And what exactly is so "ballistic" about their rivalry? That it was also (according to just about everyone) a terrible movie shouldn't detract from the terribleness of the title.

Along the lines of SSSSSSS and Phfffft! mentioned in the article would be Zotz!, which actually is a fairly enjoyable movie but a pretty bad title.

Along the lines of Phfffft! and Zotz!, I'd include any movie title that has an exclamation point in it, like Them! (oh no! giant ants!). Among the worst would have to be The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies!!?. Not only does it have two exclamation points (are we supposed to be SHOUTING THE TITLE OF THE FILM!!) but it also has an entirely superfluous (and confusing) question mark.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 12:27 pm
bm ;-)
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 12:33 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
One of the worst movie titles has to be Ballistic: Ecks v. Sever. Are we supposed to know who Ecks and Sever are? Are we supposed to care? And what exactly is so "ballistic" about their rivalry?

That title really pissed me off. It made me ask myself all those questions, and then I had inadvertently wasted some of my brain cells on asking myself questions about such a crappy looking movie. I felt duped into thinking about it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 01:55 pm
There's so many, Joe, and it makes me think it's about time for a mangled title thread:

"Howard the Duck's End"

I'll have to take some time to think of some of my "favorite" bad movie titles but I think many of them will be those usually silly tacked on titles for sequels following the colon (how appropriate).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 02:01 pm
"Friday the 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan"

A new kind of Monopoly game or Jason has changed drinks?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 02:18 pm
freebie and the bean
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 02:35 pm
I watched Pirates of the......, enjoyed it

Then I heard about Pirates....Curse of the......

I thought there was a 2nd movie out.

So many movie titles sound the same to me, I can't even keep them apart. Especially all the BlowUp movies my husband like to watch.

it's like there's Rage War, War of Rage, The Plan, Plan for Release, Release from Battle, Battle Scars, Battle of Men, Men Who Blow Stuff Up.
All I know is they are all very loud.

I can't even think of a name of a movie currently out. Like that one about something in the cupboard or closet, I just keep thinking it's called Ninja, but I know that can't be right.

Oh and what, are there like 14 Harry Potter movies out? Don't get me started.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 03:45 pm
material girl wrote:
How about I (symbol for a heart)Huckabees.
Do you say 'I heart huckabees' or I love huckaabees'?

I have never said either as I never went to see it.

one of the worst movies ever made....

but the worst title

The Quinney's Vacation At Disneyworld....
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 11:09 pm
The Shawshank Redemption

Even after all of the Oscar nominations and wins, I had no desire to watch it just because of the boring sounding title. I think a family member rented the movie, and I had nothing better to do, so I watched it. I was absoutely astounded. I couldn't believe that such a terrific movie was shanked by such an inept title.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:52 am
InfraBlue wrote:
The Shawshank Redemption

It's probably better than the title of the original Stephen King story: "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption." If that had been the movie's title, I'm sure a lot of people would have been asking "does Rita Hayworth star in it?"

InfraBlue wrote:
Even after all of the Oscar nominations and wins, I had no desire to watch it just because of the boring sounding title.

Although nominated for seven Academy Awards, Shawshank failed to win a single one.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:53 am
great flick though.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:02 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Oh and what, are there like 14 Harry Potter movies out? Don't get me started.

Good One! Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:08 am
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080391/

Looking at the writeup on IMDB, I realized that I did not recognize ANY of the names of the cast of the original 1978 picture. I think that says something about the movie!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:23 am
"Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" was, of course, a lampoon of sci-fi monster flicks. It just wasn't as funny as "Piranha" or "Alligator!"
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:32 am
I'm not sure if this fits as a bad movie title, but it's a good story (even if apocryphal) about a movie title. The movie that was released in the UK as The Madness of George III was retitled The Madness of King George in the US because the producers were afraid that American moviegoers would think they were seeing a sequel.
0 Replies

AllanSwann

Reply Fri 17 Feb, 2006 04:28 pm
"Bring Me The Head Of Dobie Gillis"
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 10:39 am
A follow-up to the original article:

Titles so terrible that 'Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Lord of the Apes' didn't even make the final cut
0 Replies