Recent Work - Critiques Welcome

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:32 am
Here's a painting I just completed the other day. As you can tell, it's still fairly wet in places, and hasn't been varnished yet. However, before I call it 'done' I was hoping to get a bit of feedback on it. I had pasted the original sketch in another thread, but will include it below:

http://www.cfjmfg.com/storage/rag/painting_face.jpg

I scanned the sketch into the computer, reversed it and blew it up in photoshop and printed it out in 11" x 17" sections. I taped the sections together, made a quick outline on them in vine charcoal and transferred the image to the canvas. (note: I tried using Farmerman's suggestion of using a solvent to transfer the printout directly to the canvas. . . this doesn't appear to work with newer model printers, as they are silicone-based inks that are affixed using extreme heat. Also I used a thicker paper which may have also hampered the technique.)

At any rate, after I had the sketch on the canvas, I went over the lines once more to make certain they were solid enough for use. I then broke out the oils and went to work, winding up with the below:

http://www.cfjmfg.com/storage/rag/face_entire_web.jpg

It's still wet, as you can tell around the eyes.

Closeup:

http://www.cfjmfg.com/storage/rag/face_closeup_web.jpg

At any rate, once it's completed I'll be framing it as a gift. Any critiques or other comments would be welcome.

Cheers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,182 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:35 am
Questioner,

I think it's awesome! It gives me the feeling the person is conflicted in some way? Perhaps by distortions they have perceived? I'm no art critic but that's what hit me when I saw it.

You have talent, my friend! What are you going to call this painting?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:37 am
Hey, some really nice work there.

Is it from life, or all in your head/ worked on the canvas until you liked how it looked?

I like how, with the left eye, the vacantness makes him seem to be looking down -- seems like a shadow rather than vacant. With the right eye, it's more jarring. This could be intentional, but I kind of like having at least a hint of the iris, as in the sketch.

The lines/ crevices etc. are nicely done.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:14 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Questioner,

I think it's awesome! It gives me the feeling the person is conflicted in some way? Perhaps by distortions they have perceived? I'm no art critic but that's what hit me when I saw it.

You have talent, my friend! What are you going to call this painting?

Haven't thought up a title yet. Thanks for the kind words.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:17 am
sozobe wrote:
Is it from life, or all in your head/ worked on the canvas until you liked how it looked?

It's actually from a photo of an illustration that I once saw. The illustration was quite a bit more photo-realistic than what I decided to try.

Quote:
I like how, with the left eye, the vacantness makes him seem to be looking down -- seems like a shadow rather than vacant. With the right eye, it's more jarring. This could be intentional, but I kind of like having at least a hint of the iris, as in the sketch.

There actually is a slight hint of one, but I darkened it so much that the camera didn't pick it up. I may go back in and add more prominent irises, as that's a typical of the feedback i've received elsewhere. It's also something I agree with.

Quote:
The lines/ crevices etc. are nicely done.

Thanks for the feedback.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 08:50 am
Any further comments? I'm most likely going to work on it some this evening.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 10:58 am
Hmmm... there's a single zigzaggy thing in the red field; seems like unless it carries meaning, (not sure), it should be de-emphasized or put in context (more similar texturing).

Also I'm not sure what I think about the super-crisp lines on the forehead vs. the blurry hair -- maybe sharpen the hair just a bit?

Already looks very good, will be curious about what else you come up with.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 10:48 am
Figured since this thread was here (and since I got a new digital camera the other day and needed to test it out anyway,) I would post some of the paintings i've done in the past.

The pics are a bit rough, as i'm still getting the hang of this newfangled gadget.

http://www.cfjmfg.com/storage/rag/amorph_s.jpg
The Entity

http://www.cfjmfg.com/storage/rag/daedalus_s.jpg
The Last Flight of Daedalus

http://www.cfjmfg.com/storage/rag/journal1_s.jpg
Old college project.

http://www.cfjmfg.com/storage/rag/farm_s.jpg
The first college painting I did. (not quite sure why i'm still holding onto this thing)

At any rate, laughter is always welcome.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:19 pm
Nothing? No critiques, no nothing?

Mmkay, fair enough.

(I'm looking for the thread that blacklisted me here at A2K. If anyone finds it, let me know.)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 09:01 am
the face is really powerful - if you want critique - I find the total lack of a lobe (sticky out bit at the side of the nose, whatever it's called!) on the right side of the nose a little distracting. Even if his nose is bent I feel you'd see a little of it. It's great though.

I like the plant a lot.

the last one with the houses and fence doesn't seem anything like as good, not keen on that one at all I'm afraid.

I've been totally honest as you asked for critique and no-one was biting - your work is really strong but that last one lets the rest down (IMO).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 10:14 am
I only just saw this, for some reason, Questioner. Completely missed where you posted the new stuff.

Vivien's comments are right on. I tried to come up with some of my own comments to differentiate, but too late, I read what she said and agree completely.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 06:03 pm
Vivien wrote:
the face is really powerful - if you want critique - I find the total lack of a lobe (sticky out bit at the side of the nose, whatever it's called!) on the right side of the nose a little distracting. Even if his nose is bent I feel you'd see a little of it. It's great though.

I like the plant a lot.

the last one with the houses and fence doesn't seem anything like as good, not keen on that one at all I'm afraid.

I've been totally honest as you asked for critique and no-one was biting - your work is really strong but that last one lets the rest down (IMO).

Thanks Vivian, MUCH appreciated!

Yes, the last one was, quite literally, the first painting I ever did. Interesting about the lobe. I guess afer working on it from start to finish I never paused to consider that portion. Thanks for the feedback!
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 06:03 pm
sozobe wrote:
I only just saw this, for some reason, Questioner. Completely missed where you posted the new stuff.

Vivien's comments are right on. I tried to come up with some of my own comments to differentiate, but too late, I read what she said and agree completely.

No worries Sozobe, thanks as always for the comments!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 07:08 pm
I think your work is extremely good. I don't spend much time on the art and photography forum, just happened in by chance, browsing.
0 Replies