I offend the prophet - must I be killed?

Eorl

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:13 pm
This is the first thing I found on the "general chat" page on an Islamic forum:

Quote:
whether it is illegal or not, it is obligatory in Islam to kill any person who insults a Prophet of God, this includes Jesus, Moses, Abraham and the last and final Messenger: Muhammad bin 'Abdillah (SAW). The non-Muslims and Munaafiqeen (hypocrites who claim to be Muslims) describe this hukm (verdict) as 'inciting murder' and 'advocating violence'. In the Sharee'ah (Islamic law) it is called 'justice' and obedience.

Can someone explain why an atheist like me, (who thinks Mohammed was most likely a schizophrenic madman) has nothing to fear from muslims?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,965 • Replies: 31
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:17 pm
I knew I liked you.

But I can't explain why you shouldn't worry.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:24 pm
Eorl,

I wish I could tell you that, but right now I'm not sure there is anyone (other than Muslims) that has nothing to fear from Muslims. I am at such a loss as to how this got so far so fast all over some cartoons that if they had just been ignored most people would have forgotten them by now.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:33 pm
Quote:
This is the first thing I found on the "general chat" page on an Islamic forum:

As an atheist, what was your interest in going to a Islamic chat page?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:49 pm
When it comes to religious fanatics, nobody can be safe that he has "nothing to fear".
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 09:02 pm
Intrepid,

because I don't trust what the media tells me, and I wanted to see what muslims themselves were saying about what is going on. Admittedly, an Islamic chat site may not be a fair representation of mainstream Islam, and also to be fair there were more moderate opinions being expressed as well as even more extreme ones.

What was clear, however, was that this (the above quote) was generally not seen to be a radical position, even if not all agreed with it entirely.

Incidently, the site welcomes all people...but this particular poster insisted that only muslims should read his words (he might be having trouble with the words "public forum")
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 09:06 pm
Thanks Eorl. I was not questioning your motives, but I was curious as to what prompted you.

There are radicals in all faiths, cultures, countries and forums. Fortunately, they are a minority. I hope.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 09:19 pm
Intrepid wrote:
There are radicals in all faiths, cultures, countries and forums. Fortunately, they are a minority. I hope.

Problem is, with the wacko "true believers", all you need is one to cause all manner of mischief! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 09:45 pm
Re: I offend the prophet - must I be killed?
Eorl wrote:
Can someone explain why an atheist like me, (who thinks Mohammed was most likely a schizophrenic madman) has nothing to fear from muslims?

death to the unbeliever
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 09:47 pm
Shocked
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:01 pm
I can think of any number of reasons why an irritating little sh*t like you ought to be offed . . . but that ain't one of 'em . . .
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:07 pm
LOL you mean like my bear pun on Evolution?How? Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:09 pm
That was unbearably punny . . . bad puns are one thing i rather admire in an intellect, as opposed to being offended . . . it suggests not simply a sense of humor, but of the absurd, as well . . .
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:14 pm
mark
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:58 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Problem is, with the wacko "true believers", all you need is one to cause all manner of mischief! Evil or Very Mad

Problem is, with a wacko... it doesn't matter if he is a "believer" or not.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:24 am
Except that wackos seem to best get their claws into others when some sort of belief system is being used to do so; think David Koresh, Jim Jones, etc.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:57 am
What I dont understand is that muslims make it quite clear that Mohammed was a man, not a god or a son of a god. I can understand (just) how a drawing might not do justice to God and therefore could be offensive, but a drawing of a man? I think the 'outraged ones' actively search for something to be outraged about.

The real hypocrisy is that there are many examples of Mohammed drawn full face by Islamic artists.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:08 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
What I dont understand is that muslims make it quite clear that Mohammed was a man, not a god or a son of a god. I can understand (just) how a drawing might not do justice to God and therefore could be offensive, but a drawing of a man? I think the 'outraged ones' actively search for something to be outraged about.
The real hypocrisy is that there are many examples of Mohammed drawn full face by Islamic artists.

That might explain why Akkari was touring the ME with 3 additional cartoons (purported to be much more offensive than the ones published in Denmark).
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:25 am
sozobe wrote:
Except that wackos seem to best get their claws into others when some sort of belief system is being used to do so; think David Koresh, Jim Jones, etc.

Yeah, they were wackos for sure. Don't forget that EVERYBODY beliefs in something.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 12:28 pm
JustWonders wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

That might explain why Akkari was touring the ME with 3 additional cartoons (purported to be much more offensive than the ones published in Denmark).

You can find them easy enough, there was a link on an a2k thread by einherjar but as there several threads on this topic I cant find it. sorry

yeah got it http://www.zombietime.com/mohammed_image_archive/
0 Replies