Best horror movie...

flushd

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:14 pm
oooo yeaaa, lots of horrors here that are new to me. Much enjoyment ahead. I do like horror movies, though I must be in the mood.

The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is creepy and scary, I completely agree! It does the job. The remake......man, I was more angry than scared watching that one. They turned it into a pure T&A thing. Booooring.

I really love the original Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead. There is a good freakiness factor to it, and it is also interesting. I'm not so much interested in sh*tting my pants in terror as the 'mind f*ck' that some movies manage. I like the exploration of different themes, not just pure slash n' tits.

Thoroughly enjoyed 28 days later. I'm a sucker for 'apocolyptic' and zombie movies I guess. Laughing

Shawn of the Dead I liked - that lil twist of humor and darkness.

Rosemary's baby - - Classic. Liked it very much!
0 Replies

xingu

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:13 pm
IMDB top ten horror movies.

Quote:
Psycho (1960)
Alien (1979)
The Shining (1980)
Diaboliques, Les (1955)
Faust (1926)
Aliens (1986)
Jaws (1975)
Kabinett des Doktor Caligari, Das (1920)
The Night of the Hunter (1955)
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 09:37 pm
Good list -- those are user ratings I believe?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 09:41 pm
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 09:43 pm
"28 Days Later" is on my top twenty-five -- surprised it's not on the IMDb top fifty.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 09:46 pm
The scariest horror movie I ever saw was "The Town that Dreaded Sundown." The movies where you never get to see the killer's face because of a mask or something scare me to death! This was supposedly taken from true events and I had nightmares for weeks about this one. They never did discover who the killer was. It's been many, many years since I saw it but I won't ever forget it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:33 pm
MA -- you shouldn't be watching those kinds of films. They are evil.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:58 pm
The AFI top ten from their list of 100 all time best "thrillers:"

AMERICA's 100
GREATEST THRILLERS

(Part 1)

1. Psycho (1960)
Marion Crane (Leigh) takes a shower. Lila Crane (Miles) meets Mrs. Bates in the fruit cellar.

2. Jaws (1975)
A woman skinny-dips at night in the ocean and feels a sudden, sharp tug at her leg. After seeing the Great White Shark, Chief Martin Brody (Scheider) gasps to Quint (Shaw), "You're gonna need a bigger boat."

3. The Exorcist (1973)
A possessed Regan (Blair) spins her head around 360 degrees. Father Damien (Miller) exits Regan's room through the window.

4. North by Northwest (1959)
Roger Thornhill (Grant) is chased by a crop duster. Roger and Eve Kendall (Saint) cling to the face of Mount Rushmore.

5. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Clarice Starling (Foster) meets Hannibal Lecter (Hopkins) in prison for the first time, and he reveals his culinary peculiarities. Clarice stalks serial killer Buffalo Bill (Levine) in his dark lair.

6. Alien (1979)
Engineer G. W. Kane (Hurt) hatches an alien. The alien's teeth distend from its mouth in a shower of acidic saliva.

7. The Birds (1963)
Melanie (Hedren) runs inside a schoolhouse to warn the teacher (Pleshette) of an ominous flock of crows gathering in the playground. Seagulls swoop from high above to attack Bodega Bay citizens, causing a gas station to be engulfed in flames.

8. The French Connection (1971)
Popeye Doyle (Hackman) commandeers a civilian car and chases an elevated train through the city streets. Popeye, Buddy (Scheider) and a large police back-up corner the members of a drug cartel in a warehouse on Ward's Island.

9. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Minnie (Gordon) presents Rosemary with a dessert that makes her dizzy. Rosemary, armed with a butcher knife, finds her son in a black bassinet.

10. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)
Indiana Jones (Ford) escapes jungle booby traps, including a giant rolling boulder. Indiana Jones lowers himself into a snake-infested Egyptian tomb.
0 Replies

material girl

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 03:10 am
Im surprised somebody thought of The Green Mile as a horror story!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:30 am
It is in a way. I kind of like the idea of horror in the thriller genre, the AFI list including "The French Connection" as well as "The Exorcist."

Here's the entire list of 100 on their site:

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/thrills.aspx
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:39 am
From Premier Magazine:

Top Ten Greatest Horror Films of All Time
Ken Kirziger, A.K.A. Jason Vorhees in Freddy vs. Jason, picks the top ten greatest horror films of all time.

1. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

2. Jaws (1975)

3. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

4. The Fly (1958)

5. An American Werewolf in London (1981)

6. Creature From the Black Lagoon (1954)

7. The Abominable Dr. Phibes (1971)

8. Alien (1979)

9. Sleepy Hollow (1999)

10. The Sixth Sense (1999)
0 Replies

kermit

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:57 am
sweet those are some good ones... has anyone seen any good horror movies lately, like recent ones? there seem to be a lot of them out but nothing too spectacular...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:28 am
Momma Angel wrote:
The scariest horror movie I ever saw was "The Town that Dreaded Sundown." The movies where you never get to see the killer's face because of a mask or something scare me to death! This was supposedly taken from true events and I had nightmares for weeks about this one. They never did discover who the killer was. It's been many, many years since I saw it but I won't ever forget it.

That movie only rated a "5.4" on IMDB user ratings, and therefore it's obviously as scary as burnt toast. You should be embarrassed for having listed a movie with such a poor rating. Didn't you visit IMDB or "Rotten Tomatos" before you posted here? How dare you...

[/sarcasm]
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 10:37 am
Tico,

I know! I was pretty young when I saw it. So, at the time it WAS scary! But, I did see it a few years ago and did have to ask myself why I was so scared. I just don't like those ones where the killer's face is hidden! Shocked Gives me the willies! I really need to get out more! :wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:15 am
I remember when I was younger falling asleep in front of the TV, and waking up during "The Omen." The scene on the TV was both very disturbing, and frightening, and doubtless more so because of my age. We're obviously more impressionable when younger.
0 Replies

vinsan

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:25 am
"The Exorcist", will always remain a Masterpiece.

Aliens 2
The Ring
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Silence Of the Lambs

The new flicks getting (re)produced this year

1) Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Buena Vista - July 7
More malevolent ghosts, murder and mayhem with Johnny Depp reprising his role as Capt. Jack Sparrow.
2) Silence, Universal - March 31Mystery, murder most foulÂ… and 100 ventriloquist dummies! Yikes!
3) Black Dahlia, Universal - (TBA 2006)
One of the most gruesome, unsolved murders in Hollywood history, brought to life by director Brian De Palma.
4) Zodiac, Paramount - September 22
Murder... (Are you detecting a theme here? It's starting to look like a slaying symphony) ... another unsolved crime, this one about The Zodiac Killer, directed by David Fincher.
5) The Omen 666, Fox - June 6
A good, old-fashioned devil flick. This is a remake of the classic 70s film.
6) Snakes on a Plane, New Line - August 18
With a name like that, how could I not want to see it?
7) The Visiting, Warner Bros. - Aug 11
Nicole Kidman stars in this Invasion of the Body Snatchers styled alien horror/thriller.
8) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, New Line - Oct 6
Pure horror here: Leatherface, the baddest Sheriff this side of an armadillo roadkill, and stupid teens in a 60s setting.
9) Lady in the Water, Warner Bros. - July 21
I'm not quite sure if I've forgiven M. Night Shyamalan for Signs and The Village, but on the strength of The Sixth Sense and Unbreakable, I'm willing to try.
10) The Wicker Man, Warner Bros (TBA 2006)
I know it didn't need to be remade, but I'm very curious to see what director Neil LaBute has to bring to bring to this sacrificial hoedown.

I hope they don't turn out to be bunch of flops in recent times like we saw
The Village, Exorcist the beginning, Exorcism of Emilie Rose, The Fog, Land of the Dead, Doom.

How do you find Amityville Horror (2005) anyways?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:27 am
I am so sick of The Silence of the Lambs! It plays constantly on satellite and my husband never misses it. Then for hours after it is over he goes around the house saying, "Dr. Lector? Dr. Lector?" Rolling Eyes Drives me nuts!
0 Replies

vinsan

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:28 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Then for hours after it is over he goes around the house saying, "Dr. Lector? Dr. Lector?"

LOL Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:36 am
Tico, you're also about as scary as burnt toast.

I suppose shlocky horror is entertaining -- it's the old mantra about something being so bad that it's good.

The best horror flick of the past ten years is still "28 Days Later." "Red Dragon," the remake of "Manhunter" is also good and is the introduction of Hannibal Lector.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:59 am
Quote:
10) The Wicker Man, Warner Bros (TBA 2006)
I know it didn't need to be remade, but I'm very curious to see what director Neil LaBute has to bring to bring to this sacrificial hoedown.

That should be interesting. The original was done with a sort of simplicity and innocence about it, that made the denouement all the more horrifying. I would love to see if they can pull off the remake without too much heavy handedness.
0 Replies