Best horror movie...

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 08:21 am
In my later yeras I have become incredibly squeemish, things I could watch easily now turn my stomach.

I saw the Original Texas Chainsaw Massacre a few yeras back and I foun dit the most horrifically disturbing film ive ever seen.
So, last night I watched it again!

I still think the same.I had to fast forward throught the bit where the guy ties up the girl and starts prodding her in the car, the families laughter went right through me and I completely forgot about the way the crippled brother dies, that was sick.
My hat is off to the makers as they did a great job but I dont think Il ever watch it again.

Anybody else wish to share the most horrific horror films with us.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 8,070 • Replies: 57
Topic Closed
No top replies

Brandon9000

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:31 am
"Psycho"
"Alien 2"
"The Green Mile"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:42 am
The original and the remake of "The Thing."

"The Silence of the Lambs"

"The Haunting" (the Robert Wise original B&W -- a chilling creeper).
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:00 pm
Carpenter's "The Fog" (1980). Creeped me out when it came out. Good ghost story.
0 Replies

Letty

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:05 pm
Ghost marking. Back later
0 Replies

Letty

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:34 pm
Recently, I saw a movie made for TV by Wes Craven. Frankly, I was bored so I watched it. (I don't like blood and guts movies)

It was EXCELLENT. The name of the movie was "Don't Look Down." The ending was a total surprise and not the normal Craven genre.
0 Replies

doglover

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:39 pm
The Exorcist
Silence of the Lambs
Dracula with Lon Chaney
Halloween

...and those green monkeys in Wizard of Oz Shocked
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:51 pm
Don't know about "Don't Look Down" but "Don't Look Now" with Donald Sutherland is a great movie. I would also add "Rosemary's Baby."

But, "The Fog?" "The Fog?" "Halloween" overshadows that weakly scripted flick.
0 Replies

Letty

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 12:58 pm
Don't Look Now, Mr. Wizard? Is that the one with the crazy midget?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:00 pm
Yes, and the woman in the red dress. And, Julie Christie, always one of my favorite actors. It's metaphysical and terrfyingly real even though it is surreal.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069995/
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 01:14 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
But, "The Fog?" "The Fog?" "Halloween" overshadows that weakly scripted flick.

I'm guessing you weren't 12 when you first saw it. And I'm less concerned with the script of a horror movie than I am about its ability to scare the bejesus out of me.

The movie is a classic ghost story, from the beginning when John Houseman starts out telling the scary tale, to the eerie fog rolling in off Antonio Bay, to the discovery that the town was built on a leper colony. When the fog rolls in, so do the zombie-like pirates to scare the hell out of the towns folk -- and all 12 year old little boys watching the movie on HBO all alone in the darkened basement of their parent's house. The movie creates a great horror atmosphere, and is really scary, without resorting to being a slasher flick.

I recommend it to everyone.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 04:11 pm
I think you were twelve -- that film was about as scary as scary as burnt toast. It was a slasher flick? You're not serious.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 04:29 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
I think you were twelve -- that film was about as scary as scary as burnt toast.

Was it so scary you had to type the word twice?

You know what? I'm more than just a little tired of your pontificating about all things "film." I'm well-aware that "The Fog" is not as highly rated as "Halloween" or "The Thing." (Which, btw, are movies I enjoy, and believe are scary.) I offered my opinion, and you offered yours.

So what's your point? That your opinion is correct and mine isn't? Well, how daring of you to offer up such highly-rated films. I dare to say that I too could go to a website and regurgitate a name or two to post that are widely accepted as top-of-the-line horror movies. But what I did instead was list a horror movie that I found quite enjoyable, and very scary. I could care less that you don't like it.

Now ... please take your opinion on the matter, and shove it.

Quote:
It was a slasher flick? You're not serious.

Did you read what I typed?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 04:32 pm
Oh, we're now stooping to petty attack on typos.

'Nuff said.

Have a nice day.
0 Replies

Amigo

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 04:51 pm
I liked that movie the fog. I thought it had a really good story. They remade it for a reason you know. It relied on story and emotion (fear of unknown in the fog) rather then gore.

Whenever the fog rolled in you said to yourself. "Oh sh!t."
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 05:00 pm
Okay, on a list of one-hundred best horror movies, where would "The Fog" appear. Since the sequel bombed at the box office and made the list of the worst films of the year, I'm not buying the quality of the first one prompted a smart business move to remake it. Carpenter is good in this genre but has made superior films. Sorry, but the pay-off at the end with the silly-looking seaweed draped ghosts slashing away (I did mean to write "not a slasher flick? -- sorry) was just not scary. The film started out great and then it was downhill from there. Rather watch a rerun of "Bubbahotep."
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 05:05 pm
Of course it wasn't a slasher flick. You think it was? Are you serious?
0 Replies

Amigo

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 05:16 pm
Bubbahotep!!!!!!!! A modern Cinama Masterpeice.

BUBBAHOTEP is a true case of 'pearls before swine.'

It's got Elvis, JFK, undead mummies and trailer parks.
0 Replies

Individual

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 05:41 pm
Amigo wrote:
Bubbahotep!!!!!!!! A modern Cinama Masterpeice.

BUBBAHOTEP is a true case of 'pearls before swine.'

It's got Elvis, JFK, undead mummies and trailer parks.

I was dying to see that movie. Missed it while it was in theaters, perhaps I'll find it again someday.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Tue 7 Feb, 2006 07:00 pm
I am not a lover of slasher movies, blood and guts, and overt horror. It is the more subtle, psychological horror that gets to me.

Rosemary's Baby, and Psycho are two of my favorites.

Not billed as a true horror movie, I found "The Wicker Man" to be absolutely terrifying.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070917/

"The Wicker Man" psychologically, to me has a similar feel as Shirley Jackson's short story, "The Lottery", which is one of my favorite short stories. In both works you are transported to a strange world, where things are a bit different, but of itself is perfectly normal. Then.................................
0 Replies