Mrs Henderson - anyone else sadly disappointed?

Mame

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:31 pm
Don't get me wrong - I DO like some films Smile and my expectations are really low, given the drivel that's out there, but... I was stuck on an airplane and Mrs. H was on offer and I like her, so... I mean, how many BAD films has Dame Judy been in, esp lately?

Well, what a disappointment it was... and not because of her, or any of the actors. It was the whole screenplay/storyline - there really wasn't one. It felt unfinished. Mavis from Corrie was in it (shocked me there), but to what point? It was a superfluous appearance...

The relationship between Mrs H and Hoskins is treated similarly. There's tension, alright, turning into sexual tension on her side, but when she discovers he's married, it seems to fizzle to a plop. Strange.

And I don't what happened IRL, but her reason for opening the theatre was stupid and unbelievable in the extreme - because her son probably died a virgin and she wanted to give all good young fellows going off to war a thrill?

If you don't agree with me, I would welcome some intelligent rationale for why you liked it...

This was one of the biggest time-wasters ever... I would NOT see it again, and if I were Dame J, I would NOT add it to my resume.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 746 • Replies: 8
No top replies

spazzycat

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:06 pm
I agree with you - the story was sketchy and pointless overall. Dame Judy was turned down on 3 talk shows while she tries to help sell it and ageism was stated to be the reason.... maybe the screenplay didn't help?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:15 pm
You're kidding - I didn't know that. That's sad - I like her. What do you mean that ageism was the reason? Did they think the topic was dated or that the actors were old or what?
0 Replies

spazzycat

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:20 pm
They wouldn't allow her on, herself! how insulting. Here's the link on CNN

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/02/02/people.judidench.ap/
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:26 pm
Actually, those excepts support my contention that the show was crap and they didn't want her on for a crap show...
0 Replies

spazzycat

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:51 pm
I'm surprised she said yes to that thing, what was she thinking?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:43 pm
?????

Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:43 pm
?????

Maybe she was having a seniors moment Smile
0 Replies

spazzycat