Are there any good TV programs about western arts?

hhh1984

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:24 am
Are there any good TV programs about western arts?
Recommend me~. :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,199 • Replies: 14
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:47 am
OK so what's a "western art"?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 08:41 am
Any symbolic representation of the relationship between the loneliness of the individual ego in the infinite light world.

"You raise up your head
And you ask 'Is this where it is?'
And somebody points to you and says
'It's his'
And you say 'What's mine?'
And somebody else says, 'Where what is?'
And you say 'Oh my God
Am I here all alone?'

Because something is happening here but you don't know what it is.
Do you?
Meester Jooooooooones."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:06 am
Spendius probably never heard of Charles Russell, Georgia O'Keefe, R.C. Gorman and other artists whose work depicted aspects of the western United States.

HHH1984 probably means tv programs about the arts of western civilization, so-called, but he or she could mean art of the American West.

I don't know about tv shows on these subjects, HHH, but you might try looking up PBS archives on Google.com.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:26 am
Not that those three are my favorite artists of the american west... hmm, maybe I'll start another thread on that.

Back on tv programs about the arts of western civilization: I bet the BBC has some excellent series on that subject. I think you will find some of those listed by using Google to find the BBC website archives.
0 Replies

hhh1984

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 05:22 pm
Thank you!
I meant arts of western civilization.
ossobuco understood what I meant.
I am not good at english.
Six months ago I studied some masterpieces.
I will find PBS.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 05:43 pm
Who was that nun that did a series on art for PBS/BBC? I think it's available on DVD and VHS. Anyone remember the title of the series? It's probably available cheap on Amazon or Half.com.

Kenneth Clark also did a PBS/BBC show called Civilization in the late 70's that used art to illustrate historical events.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 05:47 pm
Sister Wendy, Her show set the teeth of most museum professionals I know on edge. They had a very poor opinion of her.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:03 pm
Hey, she was Catholic nun living in trailer looking at postcards - she wasn't meant to be Robert Rosenblum or Alfred Barr. It was certainly a show based on her opinions, but I thought she had a very simple approach that might be accessable to someone who is not a native speaker of English.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:16 pm
Here's something that you may find interesting, hhh.

The BBC six part series called "A picture of Britain". Narrated by David Dimbleby.

Look out for it on either a BBC sattelite channel, or try and get this on DVD, as I would highly recommend it.

Totally captivating, and very informative.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/05_may/11/picture.shtml

Click the related links on the right hand side of that BBC web page, and you will get quite a bit more information.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:39 pm
Try "Light Fantastic".That had the the real stuff.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 06:48 pm
ossobuco wrote:
Spendius probably never heard of Charles Russell, Georgia O'Keefe, R.C. Gorman and other artists whose work depicted aspects of the western United States.

HHH1984 probably means tv programs about the arts of western civilization, so-called, but he or she could mean art of the American West.

I don't know about tv shows on these subjects, HHH, but you might try looking up PBS archives on Google.com.
You forgot Arthur Sarnoff.

One day he will get the recognition he deserves. Smile
0 Replies

hhh1984

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:10 pm
Did Arthur Sarnoff draw for commerce?

There are funny expression and funny situation too in his picture.

Is he famous in USA?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 12:12 am
I was just kidding hhh1984. He's famous for being tacky but he is not taken serious. the best way to discribe it is American kitsch art. His pictures are famous but he is not.
0 Replies

hhh1984

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 06:26 pm
Ah~ Thanks, Newbie.
I knew a american, Arthur Sarnoff. ;>
0 Replies