Snowboarding is Stupid

cjhsa

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 01:26 pm
One of the reasons aside from cost that I quit skiing ten years ago. Now it seems snowboarding is more popular than skiing.

I took my kids snowboarding the other day, rented them gear and sat in the lodge all day, watching. At any given moment, looking up the hill, you could see 10 or more snowboarders, just sitting there in the snow. The skiiers were all crashing trying to avoid them.

I say snowboarding for the most part sucks. Your thoughts?

I know I'm going to get a bunch of "skiing sucks" or "skiers are arrogant". I say, we were there first, get your fat ass pants out of the way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,415 • Replies: 24
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 01:51 pm
I've only snowboarded a couple of times but I've skied hundreds of times. Skiing is superior to me but that's just because I'm good at it and I suck at snowboarding. Both sports have their merits.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:29 pm
But ya gotta keep 'em separated.
0 Replies

Mandso

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 05:52 pm
i thought that snowboarding was cool - though i've never been to the snow before, i still think i would be fun to snowboard.
skiing is bad, because i have absolutely to foot co-ordination
0 Replies

Mandso

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 05:52 pm
i mean, NO foot co-ordination
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 09:00 pm
So stay off the hill.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 09:38 pm
For Mandso I recommend sledding.
0 Replies

Mandso

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:11 pm
but i want to go on the hill!
i think i tried sledding once - that was cool too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 10:27 pm
Around here skiing's for the old folks, snowboarding's for the younger crowd. Time's change.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:21 am
Exactly. Let them find their own damn hill.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:38 am
I think the learning curve for snowboarding is
much quicker than for skiing. After about 6 hours
worth of lessons, your kids won't be spending
their time sitting in the snow.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 07:52 am
Lets see, three kids x 6 hours x $60/hour minimum for lessons is $1080 to learn how to do something STUPID.

I don't think so. Let's keep this thread on track! Wink
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:28 am
Isn't it sort of up to the resort owners?

If there is enough interest in ski only or snowboard only hills, the market will surely accommodate everyone, eventually.

(I don't have a dog in the hunt, personally. Don't have an interest in either activity. Though I suppose if I was to take up one in would be skiing. I'm uncomfortable calling people "dude".)
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:40 am
Wassup with that, dude?

Wow! This is a featured thread! Smile Now, why half the time does the page come up blank?
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 09:48 am
Quote:
Wassup with that, dude?

I am old and curmudgeonly.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:03 pm
When the day comes that I pay money to go out in cold weather and get beat up, I think I'll change professions and move out of the mountains.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:14 pm
I ski and snowboard, if the conditions are right I am on the snowboard if not I have my skis. Its just a matter of going to the car to change them out.

I certainly don't see a need for seperate slopes.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 12:24 pm
Why stupid cjhsa? I think most mountains have as many snowboarders as skiiers nowadays.

Those kids are sitting in the snow while the instructor shows them the fundamentals and how to snowboard safely. 10 hours worth of lessons
should equip them with the ability to go down most intermediate runs.
After a few years of practice, they should be able to tackle most major
mountain resorts.

If you live in the frozen north, as I do, winter sports are a must.

Though I prefer cross-country, for kids snowboarding is a blast!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Feb, 2006 09:21 pm
I just see snowboarders sitting in the snow - no lessons involved whatsoever. Like I said before, part of the reason I quit skiing was from having to share the mountian with these clowns. Call me elitist, at least I'm not sitting there half the day melting snow with my ass.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 08:29 am
I had a friend that worked overnight blowing snow at Raging Buffalo. I used to go there after everyone else had left and he would hook me up with some boots, a board and my own private hill. They had jumps, rails and a halfpipe.

I had a blast and got halfway decent pretty quickly. that being said... I'd never pay for it.

I know how you feel though, cjhsa. I was a a skate boarder in highschool when the rollerblade crazy came around. Soon all my favorite skateparks were filled with these little sh!ts on rollerblades buzzing around completely ignoring proper skatepark etiquette... I wanted to bunch the little bastards.
0 Replies