Dave Chappelle on Oprah

kermit

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 08:57 pm
hey did anyone catch that Oprah today (damn the 4pm show, can't catch it at work)?? Dave Chappelle was on it explaining why he suddenly left his show on Comedy Central, etc. i guess i could go to the website but just wanted to hear from you guys...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,268 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Lash

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:02 pm
I was on the treadmill at the gym, and it was muted with the scrolling dialogue. I watched a bit.

She crawled his ass (so it seemed to me) for using "nigger", and I was proud of him. He said nobody watches him for his social conscience. They seemed to be cordial amid such displeasure by O and irreverence by the Dave.

Love the Dave.

He's a comedian!!

I'd like to see the whole thing, though.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:10 pm
huh interesting... thanks for sharing Lash! yeah i love Dave Chappelle. quite frankly i liked his stand-up routines better than the Chappelle Show, but any Chappelle i can get, i will take. i really want to see that documentary coming out about the party he threw in brooklyn - with the fugees in it?
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 09:33 pm
Yeah, I caught some of it, but lost interest mid-way.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 09:25 am
hahaha yeah... some of my friends who TiVoed it said he didn't really say much. wonder if he'll return for another season of the Chappelle show?
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2006 04:07 pm
The new season comes on later this year and there is a preview on the comedy central website.

Comedy Central

He's also continuing to do standup around the country. I'm in Washington, DC and apparently he showed up unannounced at the Improv on Saturday night and did a twenty minute set that was funny as hell. I guess he's been doing this for a while now. Hopefully the show will be on for years to come.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:42 am
oh sweeEET!!! thanks Winthorpe! yeah i heard about that Improv appearance too!!! i am in DC area as well and i was so jealous that some of my friends caught it. he does that kind of stuff...that crazy Chappelle. i'd love to see him doing stand-up.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 08:44 am
I don't understand how people let all these leeches get their claws into them. Give me 50 million dollars and here's how it will work.

If you don't come around because

A: you've been invited

B: You've come to give me a blow job

C: You've come to do maintenance on my home yard or pool

get the hell out. Have a nice day.
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:33 pm
Did anyone catch the two hour Inside the Actor's Studio last night with Chappelle? Absoultely hilarious. There was a great dance off between Lipton and Chapelle.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:38 pm
kermit wrote:
oh sweeEET!!! thanks Winthorpe! yeah i heard about that Improv appearance too!!! i am in DC area as well and i was so jealous that some of my friends caught it. he does that kind of stuff...that crazy Chappelle. i'd love to see him doing stand-up.

Wow, so many of us from DC...yeah a friend of mine invited me to go that night and I turned him down for the SuperBowl and Grey's...great...just fantastic. I hear I missed a great show.
0 Replies

SpauldingSmails

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2006 03:52 pm
Quote:
Did anyone catch the two hour Inside the Actor's Studio last night with Chappelle? Absoultely hilarious. There was a great dance off between Lipton and Chapelle.

Darn, I wish I had caught that. I imagine that was a good show.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Tue 21 Feb, 2006 02:27 pm
ya he was hilarious on Actor's Studio!! i bet Chappelle was the first person to make Lipton dance - uh well, attempt to dance on TV hahaha. they also showed a ton of fav clips and interviewed Chappelle in a bunch of characters, etc. better than Oprah hehe. Smile
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:35 pm
Okay so today DChappelle says he may never return to Comedy Central:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/03/02/people.chappelle.ap/index.html

Dave Chappelle spars with old bosses

DAYTON, Ohio (AP) -- Comedian Dave Chappelle says he may never return to his hit Comedy Central show if the cable network goes through with plans to air new episodes culled from material he filmed before leaving the series.

"I feel like it's kind of a bully move," Chappelle told the Dayton Daily News in a telephone interview for a story Wednesday. "That's just how I feel about it. I don't know if that's the case. But if people don't watch it, then I'd be more than happy."

Last May, Chappelle stunned his fans and the entertainment industry by skipping out on a $50 million contract and leaving "Chappelle's Show" in mid-production.

He spent two weeks in South Africa before returning home to his farm near Yellow Springs, Ohio.

He has since resumed performing live standup. (Watch Chappelle in his latest work, "Block Party" -- 2:22)

Chappelle said his possible return to "Chappelle's Show" is still up in the air.

"But I think if they air that stuff, I can't see how I'm going to be able to," he told the Daily News. "That will damage our relationship."

Comedy Central has said in the past it plans to air the material, but wouldn't comment on any current specific plans.

"We are still waiting patiently for Dave to return to work, but we know that our viewers are looking forward to seeing the material he produced for the third season," Comedy Central said in a written statement.

Chappelle was scheduled to do a standup show and attend the premiere of his new movie "Dave Chappelle's Block Party" in the Dayton area Wednesday.
0 Replies

AKUS

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:02 am
kermit wrote:
ya he was hilarious on Actor's Studio!! i bet Chappelle was the first person to make Lipton dance - uh well, attempt to dance on TV hahaha. they also showed a ton of fav clips and interviewed Chappelle in a bunch of characters, etc. better than Oprah hehe. Smile

I was able to catch a bit of that episode and do believe Chappelle was the first person to make Lipton dance.

Chappelle is great, IMHO. I so admire his integrity when it comes to Comedy Central.

I 'get' where he's coming from and am perfectly happy that Chappelle will continue to appear wherever HE wants to appear. He is somewhat reminiscent of Richard Pryor ... somewhat ...
0 Replies

KetchupLady

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:05 pm
Did anyone see Block Party? I thought it looked interesting.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 08:58 am
haven't seen it yet but totally want to! he's also going to be at the Improv in DC tonight!!!
0 Replies

Winthorpe

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 11:52 am
I saw him at the Improv on Tuesday night, by far some of the funniest stuff I have ever seen. He was on stage for just over an hour and apparently he performed for 2 hours for the late show.

The guy is a comedic genius, nobody I've seen tells better stories to set up a joke. He did some great bits on the immigration debate in Congress and the tv show Cheaters and a lot more. People were just yelling out topics and he would start telling jokes about whatever. I highly recommend going to see him if you get the chance.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 09:24 pm
that's awesome!!!! some of my friends went to see him and said the same thing! he's the man. wow what a great opportunity - seeing him in such an intimate setting!!! comedy central really lost out.
0 Replies