Can eating other members be bad for A2k?

Chumly

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 11:58 am
Twilight Zone: To Serve Man

To Serve Man, written by Rod Serling from a short story by Damon Knight, was first televised on March 2, 1962.

Our story opens with Michael Chambers (played by actor Lloyd Bochner) lying on a table in a solitary room. We hear a machine like drone in the background. A voice asks Chambers what would he like for his meal, but Chambers refuses to eat. He asks the voice for the time of day. The voice responds that there is no time in space, and thus we learn that Chambers is aboard a spaceship. Chambers begins a narration to us, stating that this is the way nightmares begin. He continues, that on a normal April day, with the world facing all its usual problems, a spaceship landed outside Newark, NJ, bearing creatures from outer space. We are then taken to the United Nations, where the secretary general informs the delegates that more spaceships have landed around the world. He advises no retaliation on the part of the countries of earth. While the press inquires about the appearance of the creatures, known as Kanamits, a messenger arrives, informing the assembly that a spaceship has just landed outside the UN, and a representative of the Kanamits is on his way. Enter the Kanamit (played by 7'-2" actor Richard Kiel, who later in his career played the character Jaws in the James Bond movies). The Kanamit is almost angel-like, dressed in a long robe, but has a high domed head and somewhat sinister eyes.

Here is Rod Serling's intro: "Respectfully submitted for your perusal --- a Kanamit. Height: a little over nine feet. Weight: in the neighborhood of three hundred and fifty pounds. Origin: unknown. Motives? Therein hangs the tale, for in just a moment we're going to ask you to shake hands, figuratively, with a Christopher Columbus from another galaxy and another time. This is the Twilight Zone."

I also read the original short story by Damon Knight. Serling's adaptation remains remarkably close to the story, with the exception of the appearance of the Kanamits. In the original they are short, hairy, pig-like creatures in green shorts. They probably would have been rather hard to portray that way on television, and Serling's creatures work well in the story if not better.

Back to our story. The Kanamit speaks to the assembly telepathically. He says they come as friends and desire to help the earth and set up reciprocal visits to their planet. They have noticed that the earth is plagued by both natural and un-natural calamities and that they only wish to help. They offer a new power source, an end to famine, and a force field to be used as a defense shield. The Kanamit states. "We wish only that you simply trust us." As he departs, he leaves a book behind.

Chamber tells us that he is a decoding expert for the U.S. government. He is part of a team assigned to translate the book, which turns out to be a most difficult task. While he is discussing the situation with several army generals, his assistant Pat (played by actress Susan Cummings) rushes into the room with news that the title of the book has been deciphered. The title reads, To Serve Man.

Meanwhile, the delegates at the UN watch a film of several tests given to the Kanamit representative. It's basically a lie detector test, and the results show that the Kanamit is making truthful statements. He repeats his motive of coming to earth only to offer help. The countries of the world offer their thanks as deserts become gardens and armies are disbanded. We next see people standing in line to board spaceships as the reciprocal flights to the Kanamit's planet begin. They are weighed upon entry, and speak of upcoming events as we would speak before embarking on a vacation.

Chambers and his assistant, Pat, discuss all the recent events. They note that there are no more codes to decipher, that nearly 2000 Kanamits are now on earth, and how easily man decides to go off to a strange planet. In fact, they are both on a waiting list to go. Although Chambers has given up on deciphering the book, Pat states that she is still working on it and getting close to a translation.

Chambers is now in line to board the spaceship. As he is ascending the steps, Pat rushes up desperately trying to get his attention. As she is held back by the Kanamits she warns Chambers, "Don't get on the ship. The book, To Serve Man, IT'S A COOKBOOK!" A struggling Chambers is forced into the ship.

Once again we see Chambers in the solitary room. Again he is offered a meal, but he tosses it on the floor. A Kanamit enters the room, picks up the meal, and gives it to Chambers stating, "Eat. We wouldn't want you to lose weight." Chambers faces the camera and speaks directly to us. He says that whether we are on the ship with him or back on earth, it doesn't matter, we will all be on the menu.

Rod Serling then ends the tale as follows: "The recollections of one Michael Chambers, with appropriate flashbacks and soliloquy. Or more simply stated, the evolution of man, the cycle of going from dust to dessert, the metamorphosis from being the ruler of a planet to an ingredient in someone's soup. It's tonight's bill of fare on The Twilight Zone."
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:20 pm
I've just nibbled on someone from the humour section, but she tasted funny.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 03:24 pm
That gag is so old, it's drawing social security checks . . . I had offered Amigo the chance to come over, and told him i'd be happy to have him for dinner . . . but i had to call it off--Mexican food upsets my stomach.
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Sun 5 Feb, 2006 10:19 am
Can anybody spare some floss? I've run out again.
0 Replies

pseudokinetics

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 10:25 am
sorry but i dont have any, but would any of yall like to come over for dinner im sure our table can hold more?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2006 11:45 pm
Make no bones about it!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 07:13 am
Setanta wrote:
. . . I had offered Amigo the chance to come over, and told him i'd be happy to have him for dinner . . . but i had to call it off--Mexican food upsets my stomach.

if you wash 'em first, they dont taste so bad.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2006 11:05 am
Could this thread be bad for my cholesterol? If your a cannibal, is it better for you if you eat an A2K member who is a vegetarian, or does it matter? Mr. Green
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 11:58 pm
Posters that enjoy "eating" as you say should find another pastime other than a friendly forum where most of us good people utilize it for fun and enjoyment. Oh, all of us from time to time find it hard to resist a little dig here or there but there are some truly snotty posters.

When I have the misfortune to encounter one of these social misfits I normally ignore them simply because it is the best recourse. Other than another like minded snot (and they tend to hang together) most posters having a decent education readily see the rudeness and will think less of the rude poster.

I have watched a few nonsensical volleys on other forums and more than one resulted in a poster getting banned or at least temporarily suspended. "eating" is nonsense and serves no good purpose other than to give the buffoon that does it a few fleeting seconds of cheap satisfaction.

One of the reasons I bear the keen avatar that I do is because when I post, I am an excellent poster, the dear readers will associate my excellent, non-offending posts with my keen avatar and hopefully will follow my example which is to have fun and enjoyment first and secondly, enlighten the general uneducated public at large. Smile
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2006 01:18 am
Good Humors Jack!
0 Replies