A continuing story.........

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 04:56 pm
Gothboy called me this morning as he does once or twice a month. He never calls collect although I've said he certainly could if he ever felt the need to. If you were to go back in this thread you would find that he is 30 years younger than I am, that he once worked for me but I had to fire him and that, for some reason, we are still friends.
Gothboy called me this morning and he was upset; uncharacteristically upset.
"Damnit, it's not fair. It's not right. It's crippling."
I'm a good listener so I let him rant on.
"Do you know what they did, today? Greyhound eliminated service to 260 small towns across the US. Do you realize what that means?"
There was a plaintive tone in his voice. I remember when there were trains that were plentiful and relatively inexpensive. I remember, as a youth, before perhaps the interstates, when I thumbed my way around the US without fear.
And I remember the Trailways and Greyhound buses, full of people and stories. People running away from something or towards something or just trying to get from one small town to another.
-realjohnboy-
0 Replies