A continuing story.........

Ethel2

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 10:47 pm
This is a continuation of another thread.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=570&start=0

We've dropped the male/female alternating requirement because we were all ignoring it anyway. We're writing in the present tense, but if you'd rather write in any other tense, please feel free. Don't mind us, however, when we ridicule you for not doing it right. :wink:

As you may observe, the story can run on more than one track at a time. Hopefully, sometimes, the several will be brought together for a while, diverging again along the way.

Enjoy.

In a small Texas town, a young, vulnerable, sweet, buddingly beautiful girl takes her dishes to the sink and kisses her mother good bye for the day.

"I'm off to school," chirps Blossom Flower, as she heaves her massive back pack over her shoulder for her quick trip to the high school down the street. The back pack is worn from so many years of service, green with yellow letters reading, "North Angle High School". It was her mother's back pack, new when she was in school, years ago. On the flap Blossom has pinned a large, round picture button. The smiling little girl in the picture is Blosson herself in the fourth grade at the Halloween carnival. Mrs. Pickens had snapped the shot. Blossom loves remembering how she was the most popular girl in her grade school.

"Bye, honey, have a nice day," calls her mother as Blossom Flower skips down the front steps of her quaint, yet humble home.

"Hey, Blossom," calls, Richard Lightheart, the guy next door as he heaves his huge back pack over his shoulder and runs to catch up with Blossom. Like Blossom's, Richard's back pack is from the ancient past as well. It had been new when his father had carried it with him into the drug store and first set eyes on Richard's mom. As the story goes, it had been love at first sight.

Richard's been waiting for Blosson to emerge from her front door for the past 15 minutes, but wants to look as if he's simply happened upon her.

"Gee," says Richard, "I'm glad I ran into you. I've been studying for my Calculus exam and I'm stumped on one problem from the study guide. I'm really worried about it too because you know the exam is tomorrow and I have to get at least a 98 to out do Gus and make sure I'm in the running for valedictorian next year when we graduate. I was wondering, Blossom if you'd help me tonight. I know you have no trouble with Calculus."

Blossom is surprised and thrilled to be asked to help. She just loves helping others. It makes her feel powerful and invincible. She doesn't even mind that Richard is competing with Gus. She's even less concerned that he doesn't seem to understand that his real competition is none other than herself. After all it's not her fault that he's not as smart as she is. She knows he'll be surprised when he discovers she's out done him next year for the valedictorian position. But hey, he needs the honor to be eligible for a scholarship to Harvard, and she knows her parents wisely established an educational trust for her before she was born. She'll have no worry about paying for college. Poor Richard, he'll be so disappointed to have to take second best. But that's what he gets for being such a self centered prick and not noticing her competitive superiority. She's so unselfish, as a matter of fact, that she'll gladly help him make a good grade on his test so he can feel powerful and boost his self esteem. Blossom knows that Richard doesn't feel very good about himself because he's constantly trying to out do everyone else in the school. If he were more like her, she thinks, he wouldn't be so concerned about the opinions of others. She believes she can help him be less concerned about his own wishes, and more concerned for the welfare of others. If she's very giving, maybe Richard will learn by her excellent example.

"Oh, Richard," says Blossom. "You know I love to study with you. How about if we meet right after the afternoon Bible study at Mr. Christiansen's house. About 6:30? Oh no, now that I think about it we should eat our dinner first, because our folks will want us to be at home for mealtime. How about 7:30, your house?"

"Gee," says Richard, "that's nifty."

Blossom flips her long, naturally blonde hair out of her eyes and skips down the front steps of her porch on her way to Richard's for their study date. "I'll be so glad when I'm finally sixteen and can go on real dates," she thinks. Only one more year to go.

Knocking on the screen door of Richard's house, Blossom lets herself in. The Flowers and Lighthearts have been next door neighbors for longer than any of them can remember. Blossom remembers when she was so small she couldn't turn the doorknob by herself, and Mrs. Lightheart would have to put down her feather duster and let Blossom in for milk and cookies. They were not only next door neighbors, but best friends. They would always be a part of each others' lives.

"Richard?" Blossom calls out. There is no noise in the house except for the droning of the television.

Richard sits on the sofa in the den, surrounded by his family. Mr. Lightheart (a tax accountant), Mrs. Lightheart (homemaker), Lily (Richard's annoying little sister), and their two dogs, Snort and Buster, are all staring at the television. An important news bulletin has just interrupted programming.

"Can you believe it?" Richard says, turning to Blossom. "Some nutcase up North is shooting at people from a blimp!"

Meanwhile, back in the other story:

Nick, finding the only redeeming feature of baseball being the 7th inning stretch, heads out for western skies. Pulling into East Orange he notices an immediate cultural diaspora of emigrants seeking solace from the boutiques of lavender and fushia personalities. He buys a jug of Thunderbird and settles into the back seat of his GMC Jimmy. The ladies may think penguins are cute but Nick knows that ladies love outlaws. He falls asleep. In the post dawn Lola raps on his car window with a fresh cup of Jamaica Blue Mountain. Life is good.

How did Nick know that Lola loved outlaws? Especially outlaws in GMC Jimmys. Is she that transparent? Is she too easy? In the hands of an outlaw, Lola is...........putty............
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 15,253 • Replies: 180
No top replies

Eva

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 08:33 am
As Lola slides into the passenger seat, she catches a whiff of the Jamaica Blue Mountain. Mmmm, she thinks, I believe I'll have a cup of that myself. Nick sets his coffee cup, a pre-WWI Haviland heirloom that Lola has brought along, on the floorboard of the Jimmy and pours another cup for Lola. "Two sugars in mine, please," Lola purrs...
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 02:37 pm
Meanwhile back in Texas, Blossom and Richard leave Richard's parents and the TV's sensational news and tiptoe to the kitchen table to take a look at that Calculus problem.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 03:53 pm
(marking) Visitor, but we all know how Holden ended up. -rjb-
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 04:04 pm
Yep...and please don't describe it for us! Laughing
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 04:07 pm
I'll make a deal with you, rjb. Next post, I'll write something terribly descriptive, and you write the action. Okay?

(I've been trying to do better...)
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 04:52 pm
Hiama watches Blossom from across the street, he has had a massive crush on the divine Miss B since Cafe 101 days and was in big trouble for keeping her out late singing and dancing.

Just as he is about to sneak around the back and peer in to see what Blossom and Richard are up to in the kitchen a flying back pack hits him square on the jaw. When he comes round he sees it is a Karry safe scroll top Backpack :-

Features: Unique Velcro 'Scroll Top' closure for 'dipsafe' access on the move.

Combination lock closure for static security.

Padded adjustable shoulder straps for carrying comfort.

'Back Space' padding affords airflow and cushioning for carrying comfort.

Anti-slash steel mesh mid layer.

Easy access internal change pocket and key ring mount. Internal A4 sleeve pocket.

(RJb-nerd please take note )

As Hiama was planning a trip, preferably with Blossom, he slings it over his shoulder and ambles onto the next script to give someone else a chance.......amble...........amble.......
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 05:50 pm
Rjb. Holden ended up in his analyst's office, in the institution. Hopefully he got all better. Poor guy, he was severly depressed over the loss of his brother. (actually, seriously for a moment, it is a very touching part of the book, the catcher in the rye part.) I love this book, it's on my top five list.

Lola, walking home from dinner out with the outlaw, sees HIAMA peeking in the window. Knowing him to be a latent pedophile, she calls the cops.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 06:16 pm
He deserved that, Lola! :wink:

Copying the label off your new backpack, Hiama? Cheap trick. Keep it up and I'll start posting Dr. Seuss on one of your poetry threads. Laughing
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 06:19 pm
Okay, Visitor, you're on. You write 200 words OR MORE of "terribly descriptive" text and I will post an action scene of equal length. I hope (rjb says tauntingly) you can do better than Hiama.
I hope to have my entry in by Saturday or Sunday.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 06:23 pm
Nick, awakening in the Chelsea Hotel late in the afternoon looks out the window and spots Blossom walking hand in hand with her best friend Luna. Both of the girls are sporting le dernier sac à dos de mode. They are wearing matching plaid skirts with starched white peasant blouses. Gawd, thinks Nick, if i was that age again I'd just take a shotgun and disconnect my brain. He closes the window, picks up the phone for room service and orders-----.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 06:27 pm
As Officer Jenkins shoves Hiama into the back of his squad car...

oops! sorry, rjb...

As the balding, potbellied Officer Jenkins roughly shoves the blindingly handsome pedophile into the back seat of his '97 Chevy squad car...

happy now?

...he says, "I finally gotcha! That'll teach you to mess around with underage girls. For your information, I am Jennifer's father! You remember Jennifer, don't you?" The dark-haired teenage pickpocket is riding in the front seat with her dad, who is taking her home after all the commotion at the ballpark.

"But, Dad..." Jennifer says, "he didn't do anything to me, honest!"

"Uh huh," Roger replies. "We've got a whole file on him back at the station." Roger has spent five years of his less-than-illustrious career as an assistant detective trailing this guy.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 06:28 pm
Chicken soup.... For Nick is feeling tired and regretting the mistakes of his youth. Maybe he's getting sick.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 06:32 pm
Okay, rjb, you've got it. Didn't see your post until now. Will promise to write 200 words or more this weekend. Watch me... there will be no action at all. (Try not to fall asleep.)
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 06:35 pm
Ugg, can't we have a mix? Why don't you two collaborate? It would be so much more fun.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 07:10 pm
Sorry, Lola. I evidently have p*ssed off several people. I won't post again for a couple of days.
You've done a great job getting this new project going, which we all appreciate. Thanks -rjb-
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 07:14 pm
rjb,

I don't think anyone's pissed off. Don't go away. I was just kidding. Forgot to send smiley. Tell me you won't go.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 07:39 pm
Lola, I PM'd realjohnboy and told him the same thing you did. This is all in fun.

You're absolutely right! We should collaborate! What fun! How about it, rjb? You start out with the characters, I'll add the plot line, Lola can add the internal dialogue, and we'll go from there...???
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 07:54 pm
i called myself up on the phone to see if i wanted to collaborate, but i am washing my hair that night. story of my life.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 09:48 pm
you have to ask yourself, Dys? You collaborate with yourself just fine. How's your hair, btw? Did you get it all clean? I just hate it when I miss a call......unless it's from one of those damn pesky bill collectors. Then I just tell em to sue me, "can't get blood out of a turnip." I say. "I'm a dead beat," I tell em. This makes em mad because they've bought my account and can't collect. Plus they can see I know how to play the game. Too bad.

Oh, I see I'm moving in a tangential direction. Sorry folks. After this paid political announcement, we will soon return to our story............as soon as one of us sobers up and gets back in the mood. :wink:
0 Replies