Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 01:47 pm
Today's NY Times covers a wine sold at Trader Joe's for $1.99/bottle It sells like crazy, it would appear.

http://nytimes.com/2003/04/23/dining/23WINE.html

Has anyone tried it? Officially called Charles Shaw wine, produced and bottled by Bronco Wine Co. (which may provide a clue as to its quality).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,726 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Sugar

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:11 pm
Here's a bit of a story I found. It's crap, but an urban legend is fueling purchases.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:36 pm
Thanks, Sugar, that was interesting.

I guess that old adage is true: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 02:54 pm
Well, I tried some just the other day, the Merlot. It wasn't bad at all. Not really good, but not bad. I can't speak for the other "varietals" but the Merlot was passable.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 03:00 pm
Of course, truth be told, until very recently I was quaffing 1.5 liter bottles of Montepulciano that sold for $8 each. And thought it was quite acceptable.

What caught my eye about Two Buck Chuck is that it's half THAT price!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 05:31 pm
There are two Trader Joe's where I live in the Midwest, and they have been selling a very acceptable Argentinian wine for $2.99 called La Boca a Chardonnay and Cabernet. I didn't see the Charles Shaw wine there, but for $1.99, even if it's not so good, it's a great deal to find out.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 06:20 pm
If it ain't French, then it's got to be 'Freedom Wine' and you have a patriotic duty to hold your nose and quaff it!

Actually, with an alcohol/volume of 12.5% that is a pretty good ratio for booziness over unit cost price. My serious advice would be to choose the whites over the reds, what they lack in errr... "palate" will be offset by the diminuation of that whopping hangover that will follow.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 06:46 pm
Should have definate appeal to the pennies per proof crowd.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2003 07:47 pm
I luurrrve Trader Joe's. I mean, that's their claim to fame -- perfectly decent stuff for jaw-droppingly cheap, and quite good stuff for way less than you'd expect.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 07:33 am
Trader Joe's angle/success is exactly what you have said sozobe. The other key is the festive environment. The clerks wear Hawaiian shirts, they have samples in colorful bowls, their labeling of their products are playful.

I introduced someone to Trader Joe's a few weeks ago and she walked around the store with a kind of pinched look. I found out later that she didn't like it cause it was too "small and cramped". Ha, I suspect what turned her off was they didn't sell Bud Light and Ho-Ho's .
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 11:59 am
I wish there were a Trader Joe's close by to where I live. There are several in town, but none nearby. I've been to one or two, and their mailings are downright festive. At the very least, I owe it to myself to try the Two Buck Chuck...
0 Replies