What do you feed the man who has everything?

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 04:48 pm
How about a $50 pot pie?

I saw pot pies for sale in a catalogue today priced at two for $100.

Okay they were seafood pot pies but still.

This same catalogue also had Alaskan king crab legs for $42 per pound.

I can usually buy those for $14 to $21 a pound, in season (worth every penny) and for about $7 per pound, frozen, when out of season.

Their $42 per pound crab was frozen.

I know Neiman Marcus always has some crazy gift for the super rich in their holiday catalogue but I think spending (this is a guess) $250,000 to buy your sweetie a personal submarine makes more financial sense that overpaying $35 per pound for crab meat.

Don't even get me started on the 2 for $5 pot pies.

Do you food shop from catalogues?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,505 • Replies: 15
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 04:50 pm
Penzey's spices is about it; even then it's more like look at the catalogue, then buy at the store.

Good recipes there!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:19 pm
sozobe wrote:
Penzey's spices is about it...!

Heh, I just blew $60 in Penzey's on Saturday. Razz

But ummm, nope. I don't buy any foods from catalogs.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:33 pm
Penzey's huh?

Never heard of the place!

I just looked them up online. What makes their spices so special?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:49 pm
I like Penzey's too.

I am ferreting about for italian import purveyors, so I can get real pancetta instead of the faux so readily available all over the place.

I'll buy from certain candy stores, bakeries, or smoked salmon purveyors I know from real life, online.

But I see no reason for obscene pricing. Seems rather dumb for most businesses to do. Neiman Marcus has a long time rep for wild extravagance re pricing. Not sure what its rep is for reliability of product.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:52 pm
The spices themselves are really good -- fresh, flavorful -- and they make some nifty mixes.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:57 pm
I get all my herbs froma man everyone calls "dealer" nothing on line.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:09 pm
Dealer.

<snork>

I usually have an herb garden in the summer so I don't buy a lot.

I finally nagged my grocery into selling Zataran's crab boil so I no longer nag my family to mail it to me.

I'll check out this Penzey's place.....

Maybe I'm spoiled about fish prices from living up here where we can get really good fish, fresh, for decent prices. I have paid close to $30 per pound for Copper River Salmon when there was a bad season. I have seen it for sale on line, frozen for that price and can't imagine anyone paying such a price.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:48 am
How 'bout three cans of tuna for $15? The catalog I'm thinking of might be the same one Boomer is looking at...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:53 am
Sounds like it could be!

This stuff came from a steakhouse catalogue. I'm not an expert on beef but I do understand that there are huge differences in quality. So maybe there is call for an $80 steak.

But a frozen king crab leg is a frozen king crab leg is a frozen king crab leg and none of them are worth $40 a pound.

Like salmon, there are different quality tunas but chances are that if you buy it in a can it is not top quality tuna!

These prices are crazy!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 05:30 pm
I went to the store today and they had fresh Dungeness crab for $6 per pound - buy one get one free.

I had a $10 off coupon too.....

Eight pounds of crab for $12.

Life doesn't get much better than this.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2006 07:22 pm
If we're being casual,it would be a spicy pizza and a glass of Cabernet Schiraz.
You wanna go "posh",then a glass of spring water, French Onion Soup,a full English Roast Beef dinner with a glass of Minervois La Liviniere 2003,finished off with a Bread And Butter Pudding.And a kiss goodnight :wink:
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 07:47 am
There are some pretty good canned tunas; I bought a couple of them one day when I was feeling extravagant. The benefit in the brands I tried is that they contain low mercury - something to do with fish size. I liked one brand in particular, but, hey, I forget the name. It was fairly local, can't remember, from northern CA, Oregon, or Washington. There were sold at the fish counter of my local Co-op.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 07:57 am
Oh! I'll bet that was Kimmel's Tuna!

Yumyumyum.

It's line caught and hand inspected and filleted.

My neighbors are friends with the Kimmels and they give us jars at Christmastime.

Delicious!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 08:01 am
I don't remember the name Kimmel's...
I do remember the name Katy's. I liked the first can of that I bought, and not the second.
Anyway, I think there's something to be said for the expensive tuna; can't easily imagine an $80. pot pie.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2006 08:05 am
Egads........You guys come from a different world than I do. When it comes to food, Publix is about the ritziest that I get! Laughing
0 Replies