cv boot?

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:17 pm
was just told I need to replace my 2 cv boots on the front, would these going bad affect my steering? Just replaced my powersteering fluid.
any help would be appreciated
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 5,193 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:20 pm
Yes... it could also affect the wheel staying on your car.

Also, it is a pain in the butt to do yourself (unless you like doing this sort of stuff) and well worth paying someone to do.
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:35 pm
Power steering fluid has nothing to do with the CV joints--totally separate system. Your engine drives the front wheels of your car thru a complicated system of joints and gears (CV=Constant Velocity--i.e. when you go around a corner, the inside wheel turns slower than the outside, since it has a shorter distance to travel--the cv joints let the wheels turn at different rpm, so the turn is smooth). The boots protect the cv joints from road crud and damage. Let that grit and gravel and abrasive stuff from the road into the cv joints, and you can grind them into immobility in short order. That's what can happen when the boots go bad, and while replacing the boots is a little expensive and a drag to do, replacing the joints is VERY expensive, and something you definitely don't want to do if you can help it. Get a second opinion from another mechanic, if you want, since some shops can talk you into doing stuff you really don't need, but if they are in fact going bad, definitely replace them.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 06:21 pm
Ask the mechanic to show you the boots while the car is on the rack. Having the job done could affect the steering in that you may need front wheel alignment afterwards.
0 Replies

LightsAndMagic

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 03:00 am
cv boot?
CV boots have to be lubricated every so often, or they dry up and start to crack. Where I used to live, I was an auto maintenance technician for Quaker State Minit-Lube. I learned to spray mine at every oil change. But where I live now, the guys just look at me funny when I ask them to do this.
0 Replies

kouretasgoat

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 04:29 pm
Re: cv boot?
LightsAndMagic wrote:
CV boots have to be lubricated every so often, or they dry up and start to crack. Where I used to live, I was an auto maintenance technician for Quaker State Minit-Lube. I learned to spray mine at every oil change. But where I live now, the guys just look at me funny when I ask them to do this.

What did you spray them with?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 04:44 pm
If you didn't catch what jp was saying.

This is a safety issue. If they need to be fixed-- fix them.
0 Replies

abud

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 09:44 am
Re: cv boot?
peaches5928 wrote:
was just told I need to replace my 2 cv boots on the front, would these going bad affect my steering? Just replaced my powersteering fluid.
any help would be appreciated

Hi peaches5928, what do you drive ??
0 Replies

Brook676

Reply Sun 9 Jul, 2006 10:48 am
cv joints...
Hiya, have not long since bought a car (citroen saxo) and knew it needed work doing to it. i have had most of the work done (full exhaust system, timing belt, break discs and pads, tracking-wheel alignment-) and have now began to notice a knocking on one of the wheels.Think it's on the front passanger side.After reading posts on here i have checked the boots and they seem fine-no cracks or loads of grease. the knockin only happens if i accelerate too fast into corners, if i take it steady it doesn't do it.does this mean that i should hopefully only have to replace the cv joints or the boots, joints, axels and shafts? please some one let me know asap so i can get it sorted! thanks.
0 Replies