Religious Vacuum

Chumly

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:06 am
Eorl wrote:
Whaddayamean?

"Dune" and "Foundation" are both set far in the future, and both deal with religious growth and development.
You're confused. If you read the relevant premise in my opening gambit, you'll see it is about the past not future.

Now as far as vacuums……… Cool
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 01:44 am
Oh, I see what you mean.

Well I don't think it's possible for us not to have had religion. Every human society developed religion of one kind or another. It's part of what we are to try to understand our environment and when we lack answers, we start guessing.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 02:13 am
Agreed, but that's not the relevant premise.

The relevant premise here is the net effect (positive / negative) of religion vis-à-vis architectures, arts, languages, weapons technology, astronomy, etc. versus no religion for the historical time frame given.

Now when I look at the title, I think of a vacuum cleaner attending mass Shocked
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:44 am
Why not worship money?
In nomino bankvault,
Et wampum,
Et spritus fortune,
Payup
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:56 am
Chumly wrote:
Now when I look at the title, I think of a vacuum cleaner attending mass Shocked

A neighbour of hamburger's does some cooking and cleaning for the parish priests in my hometown. I keep thinking this thread is going to be about her.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 05:58 pm
What if there is a 'god part of the brain'
Not an unreasonable theory. It would explain why so many, almost all, cultures develop a system of religion.
If this premise is true, asking 'what if religion had never existed in society' is paramount to asking 'what if we had evolved differently'
A question with boatloads of implications to complicate everything.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:48 pm
Right you are!

That would be a messy business if god was an internalized silent (or not so silent) partner, but if you accept that posit, you would need to explain the Nazi's Final Solution, for example.

My premise is on the absence/presence of religion (not of the absence/presence of god internalized/externalized) and hence has a more pragmatic reference in terms of the amount of demonstrable progress because of, not despite religion.

Admittedly there are certain parallels, and it does raise the question of if you could have god without religion (I don't see why not) or religion without god (I don't see why not).

Also if you accept your posit that there is a 'god part of the brain' then it seems to me you must first define it in either biological terms and/or in mystical terms or some such funky parameters.

Humor:
How about the mystical Hoover hidden in the lizard brain's lair?
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:29 pm
Chumly wrote:
Right you are!

That would be a messy business if god was an internalized silent (or not so silent) partner, but if you accept that posit, you would need to explain the Nazi's Final Solution, for example.

My premise is on the absence/presence of religion (not of the absence/presence of god internalized/externalized) and hence has a more pragmatic reference in terms of the amount of demonstrable progress because of, not despite religion.

Admittedly there are certain parallels, and it does raise the question of if you could have god without religion (I don't see why not) or religion without god (I don't see why not).

Also if you accept your posit that there is a 'god part of the brain' then it seems to me you must first define it in either biological terms and/or in mystical terms or some such funky parameters.

Humor:
How about the mystical Hoover hidden in the lizard brain's lair?

Maybe there is a God spot......
http://www.iol.ie/~afifi/BICNews/Health/health19.htm
Brain's 'God module' may affect religious intensity
By: Robert Lee Holtz
Broadcasted on BICNews 31 October 1997
STUDY
NEW ORLEANS -- No one knows why humanity felt its first religious stirrings.

But researchers at UC-San Diego, reported Tuesday that the human brain may be hard-wired to hear the voice of heaven, in what researchers said was the first effort to directly address the neural basis of religious expression.

In a provocative experiment with patients suffering from an unusual form of epilepsy, researchers at the UC-San Diego brain and perception laboratory determined that the parts of the brain's temporal lobe -- which the scientists quickly dubbed the "God module" -- may affect how intensely a person responds to religious beliefs.

People suffering from this type of seizure have long reported intense mystical and religious experiences as part of their attacks but also are unusually preoccupied with mystical thoughts between seizures.

That led this team to use these patients as a way of investigating the relationship between the physical structure of the brain and spiritual experiences.

In a carefully designed experiment, the researchers determined that one effect of the patients' seizures was to strengthen their brain's involuntary response to religious words, leading the scientists to suggest a portion of the brain is naturally attuned to ideas about a supreme being.

"It is not clear why such dedicated neural machinery ... for religion may have evolved," the team reported Tuesday at a meeting of the Society for Neuroscience in New Orleans. One possibility, the scientists suggested, was to encourage tribe loyalty or reinforce kinship ties or the stability of a closely knit clan.

The scientists emphasized that their findings in no way suggest that religion is simply a matter of brain chemistry.

"These studies do not in any way negate the validity of religious experience or God," the team said. "They merely provide an explanation in terms of brain regions that may be involved."

Until recently, most neuroscientists confined their inquiries to research aimed at alleviating the medical problems that affect the brain's health and to attempts to fathom its fundamental neural mechanisms. Emboldened by their growing understanding of how the brain works, however, scientists now dare to investigate the relationship between the brain, human consciousness and a range of intangible mental experiences.

Craig Kinsely, an expert in psychology and neuroscience at the University of Richmond in Virginia, called the new study "intriguing" and said "the implications are fascinating."

"People have been tickling around the edges of consciousness and this sort of research plunges in," Kinsely said. "There is the quandary of whether the mind created God or God created the mind. This is going to shake people up, but (any conclusion) is very premature."

Vilayanur S. Ramachandran, the senior scientist involved in the experiment and the director of the center for brain and cognition at UC-San Diego, said, "We are skating on thin ice. We are only starting to look at this. The exciting thing is that you can even begin to contemplate scientific experiments on the neural basis of religion and God."

P
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:16 pm
Doktor S wrote:
What if there is a 'god part of the brain'
Not an unreasonable theory. It would explain why so many, almost all, cultures develop a system of religion.
If this premise is true, asking 'what if religion had never existed in society' is paramount to asking 'what if we had evolved differently'
A question with boatloads of implications to complicate everything.

Are you saying that atheists are missing part of their brains?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:24 pm
No, but possibly certain people have less activity in that part of the brain.
I read a book a while back that kicked me in this direction..
www.godpart.com
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:34 pm
Doktor S wrote:
No, but possibly certain people have less activity in that part of the brain.
I read a book a while back that kicked me in this direction..
www.godpart.com

So you are saying that an atheist's brain doesn't function as fully as a theist's brain?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:39 pm
In a sense, yes.
I think that part of the brain serves to relieve anxiety in those that have come to realize and fear their own death through self awareness.
An evolutionary counter to self awareness itself.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:42 pm
Doktor S wrote:
In a sense, yes.
I think that part of the brain serves to relieve anxiety in those that have come to realize and fear their own death through self awareness.
An evolutionary counter to self awareness itself.
Surely you are not going to postulate that the 'more evolved' human brains function less than the 'lesser evolved' ones. Wouldn't that be evolution in reverse?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:50 pm
I think you may have a critical misunderstanding about evolution. Think tonsils. Think appendix.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:02 am
Doktor S wrote:
I think you may have a critical misunderstanding about evolution. Think tonsils. Think appendix.

Yup. appendix. Tonsils. Progress.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:08 am
Doktor S wrote:

So, evolution has advanced to the point that part of your brain is unnecessary? Are you planning on having that part of yours removed lest it activate and cause you to believe in God?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 12:17 am
Naw, he's much too smart to let that happen.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 01:29 am
Doktor S, good luck.

real life has raised "misunderstanding evolution" to an art form.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 10:30 am
real life wrote:
Doktor S wrote:

So, evolution has advanced to the point that part of your brain is unnecessary? Are you planning on having that part of yours removed lest it activate and cause you to believe in God?

Well, for starters I am not an atheist. I feel there are ways to nurture the desires caused by our 'religion center' without degenerating into a fantasy world.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:58 am
Our vacuum chants a continuous mantra; hummmm.

Is it religious?
0 Replies