Religious Vacuum

Chumly

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 06:43 pm
It's interesting to speculate what vacuum would be left if there *never* were religions.

You could start with some of the early disciplines, which were based at least initially (to some fair degree) on religion: architectures, arts, languages, weapons technology, astronomy all of which (and more) one might well argue religion propelled forward.

It can be argued that we have now outgrown the popular religions, but I am not convinced Man could have advanced at the clip and depth it did, without religions.

Albeit, I know one can argue that religions have also had a dampening force (some would assert severe) on progress, I am referring to religion's long term net effect, minus the last 200 - 300 years.

It's also interesting to speculate that if indeed man can (or will) leave the popular religions behind, what if anything is likely to replace it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,948 • Replies: 62
No top replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 06:59 pm
Why would it need to be replaced by anything?

There will always be plenty of different forces that either hinder or assist our development, religion is just one of those forces.

I think religion will always be here.

There will always be people who prefer the comfort of fantasy to the harsh reality of facts.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:11 pm
And there will always be people who have faith in what they believe is not a fantasy but is, indeed, reality.

Hi Eorl! How's it going? Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:16 pm
Caveat:
In the discussion (I am trying) to neither tacitly condone nor condemn religion per se. Understand I am suggesting an argument for discussion. It is on that basis that I move forward.
Eorl wrote:
Why would it need to be replaced by anything?
Because of the historically "proven" need of many people for such things.
Eorl wrote:
There will always be plenty of different forces that either hinder or assist our development, religion is just one of those forces.
Agreed, but that is not only self evident but not germane to my premises
Eorl wrote:
I think religion will always be here.
In it's present form?
Eorl wrote:
There will always be people who prefer the comfort of fantasy to the harsh reality of facts.
That may well be, but on what are you basing your views that it will be religions as we know it today (assuming you are doing so)?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:22 pm
Hey Momma!

Chumly, they won't be as they are today, they never were. Religion is always in flux. It shifts sometimes as a result of the wants and needs of the people, sometimes against. It also shifts as a result of our growing knowledge of the universe and again sometimes if moves with that knowledge and sometimes against it. Sometimes it only takes one man to move an entire chunk of a faith off in another direction.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:26 pm
Quote:

It's also interesting to speculate that if indeed man can (or will) leave the popular religions behind, what if anything is likely to replace it?

It is already all but replaced by consumer culture and media. The religious and the secular alike dance along to that same little tune.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:40 pm
replaced how? I hear this a lot but I don't see one as being a replacement for the other.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:43 pm
good point dok. I agree.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:01 pm
Eorl wrote:
replaced how? I hear this a lot but I don't see one as being a replacement for the other.

Replaced in a sense of the reigns to the herd.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:06 pm
hmmm, maybe it's different where you are, but we have private media that is based on the advertising dollar and public media that is largely apolitical. Advertising certainly aims to "reign" but there is no overall objective or master plan at work as is the case with religion. In fact, in a capitalist system advertising works against itself through competition anyway. I don't think it's fair comparison at all. You'll have to explain it better if I'm to understand.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:14 pm
The speculation as to present day religion's replacement is cool. I would also like feedback on religion's long term net effect, minus the last 200 - 300 years.

Chumly wrote:
You could start with some of the early disciplines, which were based at least initially (to some fair degree) on religion: architectures, arts, languages, weapons technology, astronomy all of which (and more) one might well argue religion propelled forward.

Albeit, I know one can argue that religions have also had a dampening force (some would assert severe) on progress, I am referring to religion's long term net effect, minus the last 200 - 300 years.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:17 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

It is already all but replaced by consumer culture and media. The religious and the secular alike dance along to that same little tune.

Eorl,

This is how I understood what Dok said. It's been replaced in that religion has lost the original essence of promoting God or what are considered morals within christianity. Rather they have succumb to the worlds ways via the media and consumer culture to "further their cause" which more often than not seems to be their pocketbooks.

Did I get that right Dok?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:25 pm
Chumly wrote:
The speculation as to present day religion's replacement is cool. I would also like feedback on religion's long term net effect, minus the last 200 - 300 years.

Take two Frank Herbert's, wash down with an Asimov and call me in the morning Chumly Wink That should answer all your questions.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:27 pm
LOL Eorl... whooooooo
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:40 pm
Actually, I think we are aproaching a really interesting point in religious history (which for those present usually means a lot of death and slaughter).

Short term I see the world seperating more into either secular or religious states and people migrating accordingly. (Witness Palestine)

Medium term I think we will move more and more in a secular direction with increased education.

Long term...the dark ages will come and go...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:48 pm
Eorl wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Take two Frank Herbert's, wash down with an Asimov and call me in the morning Chumly Wink That should answer all your questions.
Er....... not future history Eorl, wrong authors Razz
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:52 pm
Whaddayamean?

"Dune" and "Foundation" are both set far in the future, and both deal with religious growth and development.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:04 pm
I see a lot of things changing more drastically in the future. I see a lot of people being shocked when they realize who they really are and the things they've really done without realizing it. I'll stop there... LOL
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:02 pm
ahhh...I found it.

Here is the answer we seek.

http://sptimes.com/2002/webspecials02/deuces/pages/deuces-09.htm
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:06 pm
LOL! Whooooooooo Good one Eorl!
0 Replies