Will It (Brokeback) Play in Peoria? Yes It Will!

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 06:50 pm
Brokeback a hit with conservative audiences

This is yet another indication that gays are being accepted into the mainstream. Heck, evrn the despised and even more feared transsexuals are gaining acceptance! (Felicity Huffman won a Golden Globe) for her portrayal of a uptight, conservative transsexual in Transamerica/
Quote:

Brokeback' broke out in the 'burbs

C.W. Nevius

Saturday, January 28, 2006

My wife and I recently saw "Brokeback Mountain,'' the critically acclaimed story of romance between two cowboys. Being moviegoing veterans, we decided to see a noontime matinee in a Pleasant Hill movie theater on an NFL playoff Sunday. Given those factors, and the film's subject matter, we joked that we might have the entire theater to ourselves.

Not at all. There was a line at the box office, and the film started 15 minutes late so everyone could be seated. Even more striking was the crowd -- largely seniors and middle-aged women. So not only was a movie about gay romance selling out in the heart of suburbia, the audience appeared to be older, straighter and more conservative than anyone would have expected.

And that is what Jack Foley, president of distribution for Focus Features, which is distributing "Brokeback,'' calls the "unspoken truth" about a movie that has succeeded in markets where few would have expected it to.

"This movie is playing to heartland America," he said.

"Brokeback'' -- an odds-on favorite to clean up in Academy Award nominations, including best picture, on Tuesday -- is not just an art-house favorite or a cultural statement or a milestone in filmmaking. It is a bona fide hit making money in places, and with audiences, that make an East Bay movie house look like the Cannes Film Festival.

As of Sunday, the latest day for which figures were available, "Brokeback Mountain" had appeared in 1,196 theaters and earned $42.1 million in seven weeks. For a movie that cost just $14 million to make, that's already some serious profit.

Terrell Falk, vice president of marketing and communication for the huge theater chain Cinemark, notes that the film has done well in red-state strongholds like Pearl, Miss.; Lubbock, Texas; Ames, Iowa; and Ogden, Utah.

But here's the funny part. It all got rolling in Pleasant Hill.

Foley, who is winning acclaim among industry insiders for his inspired rollout of the film, had a plan for "Brokeback Mountain" and stuck to it. It began with a modest opening in Los Angeles, New York and San Francisco.

The result? Excellent ticket sales.

The reaction? Duh.

"Frankly,'' says Foley, "if it didn't do well there, you'd be in trouble.''

So for its second week of release, Foley sent "Brokeback'' in an unlikely direction.

"We said, 'Let's check out what is going on in the suburbs,' '' Foley says.

That weekend, Dec. 16, Foley picked a few markets, including Pleasant Hill, to see how the film might do. A serious student of demographics, Foley says Pleasant Hill is an excellent indicator of how a film might do nationwide. The theaters there do a huge business, and he can track the demographics of the audience to see how a film is playing. He was pretty sure "Brokeback" would do well in Pleasant Hill, and thus the rest of suburbia.

"It is Boomer U.S.A.,'' Foley says. "And the Boomer male is not worried about his sexuality.''

The reaction when "Brokeback'' opened in Pleasant Hill?

"Holy mackerel!'' Foley says. "It was consistently performing better than expected.''

And that's when everyone realized that they were onto something.

"It was obvious that we'd struck a chord,'' says Falk, whose company, Cinemark, owns 309 theaters -- with 3,353 screens -- throughout the Western Hemisphere. "The word of mouth was just fantastic.''

At that point it was just a matter of expanding into other markets and convincing theater owners to book the film. Even with the hard numbers to prove the film's popularity, it was an uphill prospect.

"I had a lot of exhibitors says, 'I'll play it, but I ain't going to see it,' '' Foley said. "And you had some male resistance. Men would say to their wives, 'You go see it. I am going to watch the football game.' ''

But whether the exhibitors were seeing it or not, it was soon clear that others were. And a key crowd was the senior matinee audience like we ran into on that Sunday afternoon.

"The thing about the senior crowd is that they go to a lot of movies, and they like good movies,'' says Foley. "By the third weekend, we were in Scottsdale (Ariz.), West Palm Beach (Fla.) and La Jolla (San Diego County) -- urban, well-to-do and a tremendous senior crowd.''

The film opened in Plano, Texas -- an upscale suburb of Dallas -- and did great business there, too. Falk says for the first week in Jacksonville, Fla., "we did double anything else we did that week.'' Even in Utah, where there was a brief flap when one Salt Lake City exhibitor pulled the movie, "Brokeback'' is doing very well.

At this point, Foley can just sit back and ride the wave. Jay Leno and David Letterman are doing "Brokeback'' jokes nightly, there are cartoons, and this week President Bush fielded a "Brokeback Mountain'' question at a news conference.

The movie, Foley says, has become one of those cultural landmarks like "The Graduate'' or "Pulp Fiction,'' movies that everyone uses as a reference to a specific time period.

In fact, Foley is still adding theaters nationally. After starting with those few screens in L.A., New York and San Francisco, he now thinks that if the Oscar buzz is as strong as expected, "Brokeback'' may reach 2,000 screens next week. When the film first came out, he says he was hoping it might appear on 800 to 1,200 at most.

And to think, none of it would have been possible without Pleasant Hill.

C.W. Nevius' column appears Tuesdays and Saturdays in the Bay Area section. E-mail him at [email protected].
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,769 • Replies: 90
No top replies

Individual

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 05:34 am
For all the hype it got, Brokeback Mountain was a huge letdown. I don't care if it was the first mainstream movie of it's kind that featured a gay relationship between two males -- it was slow and didn't have any sort of climax (other than the dozen sex scenes) or even a concrete ending, really.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 05:54 am
My intentions are not to see this movie. Not now, not ever. Being a homosexual man this may surprise some people...well that's fine by me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 06:02 am
I really enjoy Ang Lee's films, so I'd go & see it whether it had a homosexual theme or not. It's immaterial to me, really. A good film is a good film & with his track record it most likely is a good film. I'm going to try to fit it in next weekend.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 06:56 am
I wonder how it will play with the self-loathing gay demographic? Anyone?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:01 am
Hey, a good movie is a good movie.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:08 am
I'm tired of hearing about it. The gay community is holding it up as some sort of breathrough, as if gays are new on the block or something, and the self righteous religious right are treating it like it's another notch in the gun of Satan, and it's just a damn movie.

The world is full of homosexuals, and probably even a lot of straight guys who have sucked one dick to try it out once in their lives.

Who cares? This just isn't a big issue. Everybody calm down.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:40 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
vie.

The world is full of homosexuals, and probably even a lot of straight guys who have sucked one dick to try it out once in their lives.

You don't say?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:43 am
I do. You may insinuate I'm one of them as you wish. It so happens I'm not, but if I was, I wouldn't give a **** who knew it.

Life is too short to worry about whose what is going where. :wink:
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:47 am
I do. You may insinuate I'm one of them...:

Not at all. Your posts do not typify those of a closet case. But certainly there are plenty of those at A2K to go around.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:52 am
I'm with msOlga and Phoenix. A good film's a good film.

Ang Lee's made some fine and entertaining films. There's no reason to suspect this wouldn't be one of them <though the clip I saw on Leno seemed a bit slow>.

If people don't want to see a good movie, it's their loss.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 10:18 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
I do. You may insinuate I'm one of them...:

Not at all. Your posts do not typify those of a closet case. But certainly there are plenty of those at A2K to go around.

And so far they have avoided posting on this thread. Predictable.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 03:14 pm
I'm tired of hearing about it. The gay community is holding it up as some sort of breathrough, as if gays are new on the block or something, and the self righteous religious right are treating it like it's another notch in the gun of Satan, and it's just a damn movie.

Actually this has been one of my biggest beefs... the gay community turning this into an amazing step forward, blah blah blah blah blah. A look back in cinematic history finds at the very leasts hints of homosexuality and relationships since the earliest films were made. Why the big deal now? For crying out loud it is a film and perhaps some sort of love story. Let it stand on the merit of directing, scenery, acting and stop shoving the homosexual matter at the world. When are people going to wake up to the reality that forcing this is not the way to go. Time will make the changes and they will slowly happen. If the film was made and put out and shown in the theaters as just another movie, that alone would get people to realizing that homosexuals are the same as everyone else. By forcing this into every news program and onto just about every message board it does nothing except build a stronger hatred and misunderstanding by those who are supposedly going to be properly educated by the film.

Darn....I guess by not raving about this film I must be one of those self loathing homos I've heard tell of. For the record, I am not self-loathing I just don't see any reason to overhype any film and especially not on the basis of sexual content.

You want a film that was ground-breaking and well ahead of its time, then go see Tell Me That You Love Me Junie Moon from 1969.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 05:34 pm
Self-loathing and denial are not something people suffering from those maladies are aware of.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 05:41 pm
Puzzling that someone argues against his own best interest...when Hallie Berry won the Best Actress Oscar as the first black to do so, it was big deal. It will be a big deal when the first woman, the first black, the first openly gay presidents are elected,etc. To throw cold water on a gay romance movie being accepted as mainstream is just denying reality. It is a big deal. Someday, it won't be and that will be even a bigger deal.

What is sad is that there are still legions of closet case men who can't bring themselves to enjoy this movie.

BTW all the press this film is getting is because it is a GREAT movie. You don''t see this kind of hype about Transamerica, which is much more controversial. Why? Because it is not a very good movie.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:14 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Hey, a good movie is a good movie.

I second that emotion.This is a good film :)Recommended.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:48 am
Sturgis wrote:

Actually this has been one of my biggest beefs... the gay community turning this into an amazing step forward, blah blah blah blah blah.

I do think, however, that it's important that the "gay community", or other groups that might not have been exactly accepted by their own society are acknowledged as actually existing, in art & in other forms of popular culture. It is offensive to be made invisible, too shameful (or whatever) to be acknowledged as actually existing. Especially when gays have been around forever! I'm thinking that this episode will be considered a bit of a quaint storm in a tea cup in not too long. It's just initially shocking (I guess?) for wilfully ignorant people, who are in total denial of what's always been all around them! In that sense the film has a political purpose.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:22 am
As of now, the no I won't see it, it's gay are leading the yes votes confirming the fact that there is still a lot of work to be done. OTOH, it is a fact that interracial marriage is still not accepted by many. There will always be bigots, but as racism is not socially acceptable now, so will homophobia not be acceptable in the future.

But we are not there yet.
0 Replies

Individual

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 02:01 pm
Too true. I just can't wait 'till people stop saying "gay" or "jew" to negatively describe something that has nothing to do with either sexual orientation or religion.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 02:11 pm
I was going to vote but neither of those even come close to my answer.
0 Replies